Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

AA keychain lights.

Gareth · 37 · 6331

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Re: AA keychain lights.
Reply #30 on: January 31, 2011, 07:43:17 PM
Ah, my bad.  I forgot the LD15 was an AA light.

IMO, you should stick w/AA if you can.  They have more than twice the capacity of AAA.

AA Eneloop = 2000mAh
AAA Eneloop = 800mAh

So, at the same brightness you'll get only 40% of the runtime on AAA that you would on AA.  That is, assuming identical efficiencies for both lights.
- Terry

ca Offline gunga

Reply #31 on: January 31, 2011, 07:48:24 PM
Hey Sean, I'll answer here.  Didn't know you only wanted to know about Fenix lights.

I have a Preon Revo which has the latest and greatest, current controlled, non PWM circuit.  Basically means you have much better runtime on AAA than ever before.  That said, the Fenix (latest) LD01s also have current control and nice long runtimes.

Depends on how much you intend to use your keychain light.  It is my backup, to be used when I don't have my normal EDC or when it is dead, or in spot use.  I like it to be as small and light as possible.  That said, stainless is better on the keychain because it does not get so beaten as (black) anodized aluminum.  Natural or light gray anodized aluminum wears well, but stainless is best.

If you can handle the weight, I'd go with the LD01 stainless.  AAA Duraloops are on sale every couple weeks or so, so it's not that bad. 

3 modes is much preferable, as is small size, so I go with AAA...

ca Offline gunga

Reply #32 on: January 31, 2011, 07:50:22 PM
Also, if you are determined to go AA, I prefer the 3 modes, starting on low of a Maratac AA, ITP, or Quark mini vs the Fenix LD15.
I have had a mini on my keychain before.  Size was not bad.

Don't go stainless on AA though, too heavy.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #33 on: January 31, 2011, 08:01:12 PM
Also, if you are determined to go AA, I prefer the 3 modes, starting on low of a Maratac AA, ITP, or Quark mini vs the Fenix LD15.
I have had a mini on my keychain before.  Size was not bad.

Don't go stainless on AA though, too heavy.

Works fine for me.  ;)

Actually given that, I believe, this is going to be your first keychain light Sean I'd go for smaller and lighter as well.  The Stainless A2 I've got would definitely be a bit of a lump if you're not used to carrying a light on your keys.

The fact the LD01 also comes with a pocket clip is a big bonus IMO.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Reply #34 on: January 31, 2011, 08:52:41 PM
Mike, Gareth, Nutsak, Mr. Whippy

Thanks guys for all this great information. :)  Fenix I'm able to handle/play with
before buying so I'll stick with this company as opposed to ordering online.
I just have to decide then... the LD15 is longer, but lighter, the LD01 is smaller,
shorter, but heavier.
I'm right next door to Shoppers, so I can probably check around there more often
for a sale on AAA duraloops if I go with the 01.  The three modes would be nice at times.

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Reply #35 on: February 01, 2011, 03:48:43 AM
Thanks again for all your thoughts and the information guys.  I just picked up my
first keychain light, the Fenix LD01/R5.  Plunked a battery in it and on it went.
3 levels of light, just give the head a twist back and forth to grab another step.

us Offline Ashley

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • AKA Knife Crazied
Reply #36 on: February 01, 2011, 04:24:56 AM
I use and love my Fenix E01. I never leave home without it. Its been on my key ring since the day I got it. It's also been there a many of times when I needed it and had to other light.  :rant:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $139.46
PayPal Fees: $8.05
Net Balance: $131.41
Below Goal: $168.59
Site Currency: USD
44%