Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Not what I expected- New Leatherman Tools

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Re: Not what I expected- New Leatherman Tools
Reply #60 on: January 20, 2011, 05:50:23 PM
It's also about building brand loyalty from people who normally wouldn't look twice at LM. Get people who would normally grab a no-name tool to buy these. Most everyone has at least heard of LM, so seeing one they can afford will entice a lot of buyers, after that, when they see the quality is better than X brand they are likely to buy another LM down the road, possibly something more like a Wave.IT's a brilliant move by LM IMO. As long as the quality is up to snuff it could be a huge new market for them. I may rip on Gerber a lot, but a TON of people buy them. So long as the quality is at about Gerber level, which while not that great, is still a bit better than knockoffs, then they may grab a lot of Gerber's thunder, especially if the quality winds up being above the likes of the Suspension, etc. I think this will mark the first real competition Gerber has had at the low-end of the name brand market and may force them to start upping their quality since price alone won't be as big a factor any more. The entry level multi world may be about to start getting a lot more interesting.

ca Offline MTguy

Reply #61 on: January 20, 2011, 05:58:52 PM
Grant are we going to see some more camo Blasts like the one in the pic you posted earlier?   :)

I would like to know this as well, looks interesting.

I think the sidekick/wingman will sell tons, and it would be a good thing if people replace their no name junk with a good quality tool. So no doubt it's a great move for LM to make as it will get them in the cheaper market.

us Offline Mike 56

• No Life Club
Reply #62 on: January 20, 2011, 07:27:07 PM
I am thinking i want one of each. For me i am liking smaller lighter tools. They are just easier for me to carry. So they are smaller (i don't know if they are lighter) and they are priced low and should be easy to find in big box stores. I hope the tools work well like Leatherman is know for. After reading this thread i can see that leatherman along with other multi tool companies have missed. Why not when designing a multi tool make it so you can remove the blade and lock so all your tools could be used all over the world. All so sell replacement TH blades with install tools for those that need them to make their tools leagel in their countrys. I find it hard to compare leathermans new tools the Gerber Suspension. The Suspension is heavy odd sized for me to pocket carry and heavy in a pouch on my belt. The tools are the real question on the new Leatherman tools if they live up to their past reputation i am thinking they will be a lot better than gerbers.

Mike
I think Alcohol, Tabacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency. 

Mike

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #63 on: January 20, 2011, 08:05:53 PM
The SOG Powerlock, and Pocket Power Plier already do exactly everything you just asked for.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #64 on: January 20, 2011, 11:28:33 PM
The SOG Powerlock, and Pocket Power Plier already do exactly everything you just asked for.

Yes but, crucially*, the sales of the Powerlock and the PPP don't make Leatherman any money.  :D

Crucially for Leatherman anyway. ;)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

Offline gadgetman7

Reply #65 on: January 21, 2011, 12:25:00 AM
I wonder if it will matter that the inside tools don't lock. Gerber tools do. It will be interesting to see if it makes a difference.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #66 on: January 21, 2011, 12:51:19 AM
I'm in the press room at the show on my netbook, so I can't post pictures yet, but I did go back to Leatherman today and took a lot more detailed shots which I'll post when I get back to the hotel.

I'm knocking off early today- my bad foot is killing me!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

spam Offline glorn

• No Life Club
  • His name is Robert Paulson.
Reply #67 on: January 21, 2011, 01:46:51 AM
Leatherman is using these to introduce the Leatherman brand to people who wouldn't spend a lot on a tool, who know nothing about tools, and who wouldn't normally even put enough effort or thought into one to bother doing research on sites like this one to find out about which one is best.

So these are for stupid people then?  ;)

G

us Offline genevabuck

• No Life Club
Reply #68 on: January 21, 2011, 02:37:05 AM
Some might not of expected these tools from Leatherman, but I had my suspicions.  After putting out a top line of expensive and niche like tools, it seems that they are now looking to pump some out in mass.  they are looking to almost recession proof themselves, which is hard to blame.  In the mean time, they are also tapping into a potential new market. Hitting two birds with one stone in the retail marts.  A great business move, in my opinion. 

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #69 on: January 21, 2011, 02:50:38 AM
Some might not of expected these tools from Leatherman, but I had my suspicions.  After putting out a top line of expensive and niche like tools, it seems that they are now looking to pump some out in mass.  they are looking to almost recession proof themselves, which is hard to blame.  In the mean time, they are also tapping into a potential new market. Hitting two birds with one stone in the retail marts.  A great business move, in my opinion.

A very fair point.  It's absolutely worth keeping in mind that the Kick and Fuse (surely their current 'everyman' designs and the ones being replaced) will be seven year old designs this year so they're getting on a bit.  Only the Juice and the Micra are older and still in production.

Actually I was surprised to read in out time-line just how long the Juice range has been around; 2001, Who'd have though? :)

us Offline markn951

• I'm actually Canadian
Reply #70 on: January 21, 2011, 02:53:00 AM
Leatherman is using these to introduce the Leatherman brand to people who wouldn't spend a lot on a tool, who know nothing about tools, and who wouldn't normally even put enough effort or thought into one to bother doing research on sites like this one to find out about which one is best.

I resent that.

:P

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #71 on: January 21, 2011, 03:35:32 AM
Who wants pictures?  :D

Enjoy!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Reply #72 on: January 21, 2011, 03:39:36 AM
Funny, Gerber is finally putting longer usable drivers and such on their new
tools, and Leatherman seems to be going with the short and stubbies, and
is that not a 3D phillips driver on the Wingman?  What the hell is going on
here?  :D

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #73 on: January 21, 2011, 04:04:48 AM
Ahhh, I get it now. :salute: I didn't understand what you meant earlier about the new "push out" screwdrivers. But now I do. Thats the phillips and the flathead there in the top photo...just push on them through the cutout in the handle to get them started opening. Pretty slick. :tu:

(Image removed from quote.)

(Image removed from quote.)

Enjoy!

Def

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

ca Offline MTguy

Reply #74 on: January 21, 2011, 04:22:36 AM
Great pics! These have grown on me a lot, I'll end up with at least one of them. The "push through" tools are a neat design. I wish the file wasn't so stubby though.

us Offline SlackOne

• See Saw Seen
Reply #75 on: January 21, 2011, 04:42:20 AM
I'm getting a weird "2.5 D" feeling from the Phillips.  Like it's 3D for, say, Phillips #1, but 2D for #2 and 3s?

I have some respect for the cost-cutting ethic at work here, but it'll be a question of quality of materials if they hold up.  Using thinner stock for the tools, more stamping and less casting, and considerably less finish machining means they can turn the tool out on the cheap...I'm just hoping the steel they're using is one that's actually strong enough to stand up to use at that thickness.

Just wondering...do these clump?  I figure the between-tool washers would be gone as a cost cutting measure as well.
Half-ass done wholeheartedly!

us Offline ari6126

• No Life Club
  • Colors!
Reply #76 on: January 21, 2011, 04:48:48 AM
Dear LM, please come out with "enthusiast" versions. Here's what I want in a Wingman CX: PE, upgraded steel blade, awl instead of the package opener, and a dedicated small driver (like on the Spirit). MSRP $40, available for $30. I want one so bad. I wouldn't buy one myself here's my idea for a Sidekick CX: same blade as the Wingman CX, and a diamond file instead of the regular file. Replace the serrated blade with an awl. MSRP $50 available for $40. Please, please, please.

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #77 on: January 21, 2011, 06:40:51 AM
I honestly think they nailed the Wingman. For it's intended market it's about perfect. Sure I'd like to see a longer file, get rid of the damned bottle opener already and put something more useful in there, but as an inexpensive, light duty EDC I think it's very very well done. I almost wanna say lose the package opener, but for it's target demographic I actually think it's a decent idea. There's almost no way I won't buy one of these. For what they should cost on the street I am very, very sold.

au Offline joea

Reply #78 on: January 21, 2011, 08:07:36 AM
Any idea what they weigh? I see the clip and just wonder how much heavier than the Kick these tools will be. Are the pliers the same size as the kick? So many questions  :o

Offline gadgetman7

Reply #79 on: January 21, 2011, 03:36:01 PM
I'm not the target market but the lack of locking inside tools will probably stop me from buying either one. I know Leatherman was cutting costs but the inside tools should lock. I wonder if Gerber will use that in their advertising like they did before the original Supertool came out.

Offline gadgetman7

Reply #80 on: January 21, 2011, 03:38:52 PM
Forgot to mention. If the street price is around 30 USD for the Sidekick it could be problematic for Leatherman. The Blast only costs around 37 USD.

pl Offline Fistach

Reply #81 on: January 21, 2011, 04:00:31 PM
Not having seen the new stuff , can't really comment . That said , what they have rolled out is pretty dissapointing ! I was hoping for follow on MUT types , and maybe a tweaked Skelle .

Chris
There ale also other users who need something different - Leatherman reached out to these people. That is also a smart marketing move. When someone buys a good but nto the best tools in Leatherman arsenal just to check it out I'm sure when he/she likes it he will buy a full size tool sooner or later.

Leatherman makes such fantastic and of high quality tools we don't get new MUTs new waves each year! It takes time to design, test and finally manufacture the tool - and that (+warranty) makes these tools so very special.

Dear LM, please come out with "enthusiast" versions. Here's what I want in a Wingman CX: PE, upgraded steel blade, awl instead of the package opener, and a dedicated small driver (like on the Spirit). MSRP $40, available for $30. I want one so bad. I wouldn't buy one myself here's my idea for a Sidekick CX: same blade as the Wingman CX, and a diamond file instead of the regular file. Replace the serrated blade with an awl. MSRP $50 available for $40. Please, please, please.

Package opener is very useful if someone has not carried or used a knife before or is simply afraid to damage the item in the parcel.
Secondly it's too thin to change it into an awl - it would either require to choose much higher grade steel (much higher price!) or making an awl than can easily break - LM is not going either way.!
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 04:03:42 PM by Fistach »

Offline joebw

Reply #82 on: January 21, 2011, 04:28:15 PM
Hi,
the
About the camo Blast shown in the first pictures.  The camo is very similar to that used on the camo Blast done for Academy Sports in tlate 2006 or early 2007.  However, the  camo one in these pictures has the second model locks which came out in 2009.

Best - Joe

spam Offline glorn

• No Life Club
  • His name is Robert Paulson.
Reply #83 on: January 21, 2011, 07:01:41 PM

I resent that.

:P

So you are saying you fit Grant's described criteria then?
G

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #84 on: January 21, 2011, 07:13:53 PM
I can't see the pics. :cry:  "Bandwidth Exceeded" or some such. :ahhh

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #85 on: January 21, 2011, 07:23:36 PM
Try this instead: clicky

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #86 on: January 21, 2011, 07:27:04 PM

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #87 on: January 21, 2011, 07:29:16 PM
BTW if that still doesn't work for viewing the larger versions, logging into photobucket (if you have an account there) does the job. :tu:

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Reply #88 on: January 21, 2011, 07:42:01 PM
I'm speechless.  These tools look beyond awesome and it's nice to know most everyone will be able to afford one.  I can't wait to get ahold of a Wingman  :drool:   :ahhh
SAW

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #89 on: January 21, 2011, 07:45:11 PM
To me it seems these new tools are to the Juice line what Wave/Charge/Surge tools are to the older-style full-size ones. Perhaps we'll see some parts of the Juice family phased out in the not-so-far future?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%