Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Help needed for my SAK

fi Offline mtool78

Help needed for my SAK
on: January 24, 2011, 01:15:39 PM
I know that these questions must have been asked earlier, but I just want to be sure what I'm doing. As I've told I have old SAK given by my dad in early 80's, scales are pretty worn and there has also been a promoting text (dad got it from Husqvarna after 10/15 years of career) -  what I would like to do is get new black scales for it. I know, MacGyver had red ones but I'd like to try if black ones can do the job...so what do I have to know to get right sized scales and where can I buy 'em without paying too much? Thanks for your help!  :salute:

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Re: Help needed for my SAK
Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 01:28:56 PM
You should check with Neil (http://www.edcsource.com/Neil-Bees-Hive-of-SAKtivity,name,100034,user_id,shop). First you'll have to determine what size you need, for instance 84mm or 91mm.
Black scales are classy :tu:
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 01:32:58 PM
Measure the length of the SAK closed.  Its most likely going to be 91mm and if so I'm out of stock  :(

Don't panic though, RotoKid has black scales here or if you want them to have a slot on the back for a pen then get these.
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

fi Offline mtool78

Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 01:40:17 PM
Thanks for super-fast answers - I measured the scales and those are 91mm. Pen would be nice add-on. Also the spring of scissors is broken and tweezers are missing - and tooth pick looks like it's not been there only for show.  :-X

gb Offline Neil

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 01:55:31 PM
Rotokid will be able to sort you out with all those spares :tu:

I won't have black 91mm scales back in stock for at least a couple of weeks, sorry.

fi Offline mtool78

Reply #5 on: January 24, 2011, 03:14:32 PM
Thanks - I'll contact Rotokid.  :tu: It seems to be that the model of my SAK is "Champion" - which years that one was made? Is there any way to identify exact year or anything - markings maybe? I also found this pic which is pretty much what I'm aiming to http://www.flickr.com/photos/maba18/4696432025/# I guess those scales have been changed or was that model available with black scales?

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #6 on: January 24, 2011, 03:32:49 PM
Black is/was one of the standard scale colors for the Champion. According to the SAKWiki (http://sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Champion) the Champion was produced until 2003 (give or take a year ;) or many years :P I'm not sure about this). It was replaced by the Champion Plus around 2003 I believe.
The exact year your knife was manufactured may be hard to determine, but there are some things you could check in order to date your SAK. For example: if the scissors have a screw, it's from before 1991. If it is riveted, it's newer :) If the reamer/awl has no sewing eye, it's pre-1985. There are more identifiers though.
Do you have any pics of the actual knife?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 03:37:18 PM by Reinier »

fi Offline mtool78

Reply #7 on: January 24, 2011, 03:46:52 PM
Thanks Reinier - I just love those little details which can be used to identify your tool! There is a screw on scissors and awl has no eye - so my guess of early 80's could be right? It looks pretty much like this '85 model. http://www.sakwiki.com/show_image.php?id=786

I actually took the old scales off when you told me that those can be replaced and put in the dishwasher. :D I'll try to take some pics later.

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #8 on: January 24, 2011, 04:02:27 PM
:tu:
This page may also help you date your Champion: http://victorinox.saam007.com/91mmtools.php :)

Or just post a couple of photos, Neil will probably be able to tell you the exact day your SAK was made :pok:

gb Offline Neil

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: January 24, 2011, 09:02:55 PM
LoL maybe not :D

If you do take pictures, try and get shots of the tang stamps either side of the main blade as that will help a lot with dating :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $56.34
PayPal Fees: $2.74
Net Balance: $53.60
Below Goal: $246.40
Site Currency: USD
18%