Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Surge or Core???

bashk · 24 · 3250

Offline bashk

Surge or Core???
on: October 24, 2007, 07:07:27 PM
I came in to a little cash and have been toying with the idea of adding a new tool to the old collection. I know some will say both, but really, I need to choose one or the other.

Uses: I'll use the tool from working in an electronics lab, to cutting branches in my yard, to working on power tools etc. etc.

So I have my sights on the Surge and the Core.

What do you folks think?

Thanks,

Bash

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Re: Surge or Core???
Reply #1 on: October 24, 2007, 07:22:07 PM
I know it's a bit bigger, and more expensive, but I'd go with the surge, as you'll never feel under-equiped with one, if your anything like me you'll get the core then wish you got the surge ::)

You could always pick up a core later :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Reply #2 on: October 24, 2007, 08:23:18 PM
I could add a poll if you like?

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #3 on: October 24, 2007, 08:36:38 PM
Good choices both, and you'll never be short of an anchor with one of those!

It really all depends on how much you think you'll like the one handed and blade exchanging features of the Surge.  Both are good tools, and I think honestly, I'd opt for the Surge, but then I've never been overly impressed with my Core, but that's possibly because it's maybe a little bit defective.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline NeitherExtreme

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #4 on: October 24, 2007, 08:48:20 PM
I'm sort of stuck in the same debate myself. The difference is that I just want a tool for fun, so I'll probably go with the Surge since it seems like more fun :D The Core seems great for hard use though...

Another thing that's worth thinking about for working with electronics is which screwdriver settup will serve you better, the longer Core drivers or the much more versitile (especially if you get some more bits) Surge drivers. I might be in the minority, but I really like the tiny screwdriver that's on the Surge (and my Charge). I have found it quite useful, and have also missed it when carrying other tools.

Another option (just for the heck of it ;) ) would be to buy the Core and a Micra which would compliment each other quite well IMO.

Either way, enjoy the new tool :)

Offline bashk

Thanks for the responses
Reply #5 on: October 24, 2007, 09:25:51 PM
I think I'll end up with the Surge.

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks,

Bash

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #6 on: October 24, 2007, 10:05:54 PM
Gotta say that since I got both you are making the right decision. The surge is my fav tool that I own and dont worry about the reach of the drivers, because you can buy an extension or just make one for cheap.

I would only say however that you should get the leather sheath. the nylon one always rips the belt strap out on me. I have gone through 3 so far and really will be ordering the leather one soon. By the way there is a ton of blades that you can get for the replacement system that leatherman uses. :ahhh
S

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #7 on: October 24, 2007, 11:15:37 PM
They are both my two favorite tools. I myself prefer the SURGE because of the oho blades and the diamond file, but the CORE is'nt a bad choice either- it has real nice screwdrivers, long saw, easy to unlock blades etc. If you do go for the SURGE definitley go for the nylon sheath, my leather wore out quick.) Hope it helps mate!
B

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #8 on: October 25, 2007, 08:07:37 AM
While I don't own a Core, I can definately recommend buying a Surge.  I've been carrying mine a lot lately instead of the Spirit (blasphemy!) and it's been extremely useful!

If you do go with the Surge, get the extra bits for it :) 
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

Offline cortiz1679

Reply #9 on: October 25, 2007, 08:34:40 PM
Gotta say that since I got both you are making the right decision. The surge is my fav tool that I own and dont worry about the reach of the drivers, because you can buy an extension or just make one for cheap.

I would only say however that you should get the leather sheath. the nylon one always rips the belt strap out on me. I have gone through 3 so far and really will be ordering the leather one soon. By the way there is a ton of blades that you can get for the replacement system that leatherman uses. :ahhh
i wish i read this be4 i got mine, it also riped

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #10 on: October 25, 2007, 09:02:26 PM
Theres a post over at blademorons where a guy has dropped his Core and it broke , dont know if that helps ?  Here it is .... http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=497320

Dunc

Reply #11 on: October 25, 2007, 09:15:30 PM
Theres a post over at blademorons where a guy has dropped his Core and it broke , dont know if that helps ?  Here it is .... http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=497320

Dunc
Do I detect a slightly sarcastic tone there mate :D

How high was it droped from (I've never bothered to sign back up for blade forums after my first flame war ::))
I'd imagine it must of been from a pretty great height ???

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #12 on: October 25, 2007, 09:37:27 PM
He said he dropped it on the pavement and it landed on the lock which flew off .

Dunc

Reply #13 on: October 25, 2007, 09:40:58 PM
He said he dropped it on the pavement and it landed on the lock which flew off .

Dunc
That's pretty pathetic (if true ::)) you would expect it to be a little bit more robust than that!

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #14 on: October 25, 2007, 09:48:04 PM

Dunc
That's pretty pathetic (if true ::)) you would expect it to be a little bit more robust than that!

I would certainly hope so , he did say it had had alot of hard use and hes even used it as a hammer so maybe it just fell badly and landed on the lock , even so I would loose a little faith in it after that .

Dunc

Reply #15 on: October 25, 2007, 09:50:45 PM

Dunc

I would certainly hope so , he did say it had had alot of hard use and hes even used it as a hammer so maybe it just fell badly and landed on the lock , even so I would loose a little faith in it after that .

Dunc
Me too :o, why would you use a multi as a bloody hammer anyway ???, I can see if you were in a life of death situation, or if there was no other way round it, but it'd have to be a pretty extreme situation for me to use any of my tool's as a flaming hammer ::)

us Offline NeitherExtreme

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #16 on: October 25, 2007, 10:30:27 PM
I'd use my beaters as a hammer if I could just figure out how :D

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #17 on: October 25, 2007, 10:42:38 PM
Many times I have had a multitool in my hand and thought about using it as a hammer  :o but always managed to stop myself . Often used my swisstool to give a light tap though . Must just add that I would use it as a hammer if it was all I had and it was important .I remember a saying " when all you have is a hammer everything starts to look like a nail"  .

Dunc

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #18 on: October 26, 2007, 02:48:13 AM
Seems like the opposite is true as well.  ;)

(If all you have is a nail, everything starts to look like a hammer)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline Splat

Reply #19 on: October 26, 2007, 06:08:16 PM
Core. I've never experienced the discussed problem with my first Core from last year, or this new one. The tools are solid and just plain work and the drivers are the longest out of any multi I've seen. It's a solid piece of gear. I wouldn't get the Surge because I don't like the tool selection and it's heavier. The only thing I like about the Surge is the outside opening blades, but I use the Core's drivers more than blades so it's a moot point for me. Actually, outside-opening is the main reason I just got a Vic Swisstool Spirit. I don't like having to open the Core to get at everything.
--
Splat
Splat

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #20 on: October 27, 2007, 04:55:43 AM
Core. I've never experienced the discussed problem with my first Core from last year, or this new one. The tools are solid and just plain work and the drivers are the longest out of any multi I've seen. It's a solid piece of gear. I wouldn't get the Surge because I don't like the tool selection and it's heavier. The only thing I like about the Surge is the outside opening blades, but I use the Core's drivers more than blades so it's a moot point for me. Actually, outside-opening is the main reason I just got a Vic Swisstool Spirit. I don't like having to open the Core to get at everything.
--
Splat

So what you're saying is that an outside opening Core would be about perfect?
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline supratentorial

Reply #21 on: October 27, 2007, 08:12:40 AM
Theres a post over at blademorons where a guy has dropped his Core and it broke...

That remark seems out of character for you, Dunc.   :police:

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #22 on: October 27, 2007, 09:48:31 AM
Theres a post over at blademorons where a guy has dropped his Core and it broke...

That remark seems out of character for you, Dunc.   :police:

Me ? Never  ;)

Dunc

us Offline Splat

Reply #23 on: October 27, 2007, 05:19:24 PM
So what you're saying is that an outside opening Core would be about perfect?

Yes, though I bought a Swisstool Spirit also because of its size and the way the curved handles seem to fit my grip better.
--
Splat
Splat

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31