Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Bye bye Gerber!

us Offline Marlinaholic

Bye bye Gerber!
on: February 14, 2011, 05:18:45 PM
Sawman is right about Gerber.  I wanted to give Gerber a fair shake so I bought a new Octane and Crucial Fast, as well as a recently made 400 compact sport and shortcut.  The three foreign made tools totally sucked.  Wire cutters didn't cut wire worth a hoot on the Crucial or the Octane.  The Octane's blade was sort of an afterthought in a thin aluminum housing and Gerber should be ashamed of the liner lock on it, that piece of tin that I can defeat with hand pressure.  The Crucial was even worse, all the tools wiggled a LOT, the whole frame would flex with a little pressure, and the liner locks on the tools didn't even want to engage, and were too thin for their intended purpose.  The blade fired weak on the Crucial and locked up even weaker and all three of the imported tools, the Crucial, Octane, and Shortcut, didn't take an edge worth a hoot (and I know how to sharpen everything from a full serrated H1 Tasman Salt to a recurve Kershaw Storm II, so it ain't just me).  The serrations on the Octane blade are a joke, why are they so small and the Crucial ones normal size?  The mostly US made MP400 combo blade DID take a great edge and the blade steel on it is far better than the other 3 tools.  Out of the 4 tools, the 400 is not a bad tool, but it's a little dated design and weighs about as much as a Spirit or Wave anyway, so I sold it.   In my work I cut up a fair amount of thick cardboard and dense styrofoam stuff, so I have to have a blade that can take a little pressure, especially if it is a pocket clip tool that is supposed to fill in for an EDC folder, as the Octane and Crucial are intended to do.  Leatherman, and Victorinox for that matter, have never let me down in the blade area, or most other areas.  Looks like quality for Gerber stopped at the 400 and 600 series, and that's sad.  I'll still buy those models for trade fodder or what have you, but they are the ONLY Gerbers I'll even touch, dated as they may be.  What is Gerber management thinking?  "Oh boy, lets make a couple really nice tools here in the US but make sure the rest of our line is imported junk made to low standards, yeah that'll work great, we'll make a fortune!"  :drool: Don't they realize that a few crappy tools with their name on them sours buyers on the whole line?  I hope Leatherman avoids this pitfall with their new offerings for 2011, cheap is not always good, companies used to realize that one quality product purchased from them would lead to others.  I bought my first Leatherman like four years ago,  a Charge TTi, after seeing a friends, and now I own over 20 Leathermans because I was impressed by that first one I handled.  It wasn't the price that impressed me, it was quality   :rant:
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 05:20:44 PM by Marlinaholic »

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Re: Bye bye Gerber!
Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 05:42:48 PM
HHmmmm interesting , I agree with you about the 400/600 series . To be honest I've never bought one of the China made tools because of all the bad things I've heard .

I'm really wondering if this is anything to do with Fiskars who own Gerber . Gerber were an American Company and like Leatherman made their products in the U.S . But Fiskars is a Finish  company so why should they stay loyal to the U.S ?

I feel this is the problem when huge companies own lots of other or smaller ones , all they care about is cutting corners and making $ if this fails to happen they just sell them off to someone else . Wenger and the consumer don't realise how lucky they were .

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 06:33:01 PM
I've had bad experience with Gerber - everything I've bought sucked  :(
..... but I've never bought a high end tool from their range.

I've had bad experience with Leatherman - everything I've bought sucked  :(
..... but I've never bought a high end tool from their range.

I'm very reluctant to buy any more products from either company for the exact reasons you mentioned. The smaller tools should whet the appetite for a bigger better purchase ... not leave you thinking that you'll be spending bigger bucks on a bigger piece of junk. 
:twak:

I've never been disappointed with Victorinox or Wenger  :tu: ... or at least not yet.  :-\
I've been tempted to try SOG at somepoint ..... but why do they have to put a lid on the tools?  ???

I personally think we need some more competitors in the big tool arena to make the complacent ones smarten their ideas up, and we need ones why actually care about the small tools/purchases too - they're the ones that'll get us hooked (or not) for the bigger buy  :think:

... and I was actually semi-enthusiastic about the octane after Grant's review ... :-[ :shrug:
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 06:45:32 PM by 50ft-trad »

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 06:50:21 PM
Im not a bif fan of gerbers, i tend to stick to what i know, ive had around 5-6 leathermans now and there well made and there after care is top notch, although it took 10 year of abuse on my old wave to use it, generally ive had no issues with SAK's other than scales coming off when dropped, although have had a few classics crack along the middle, i do like trying out the odd different tool now and then, byrds recently impressed me and im trying out a meyerco and although put off smith and wesson a few times im going to try out a extreme ops, but you live and learn in life ,  :D

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: February 14, 2011, 08:42:23 PM
Interesting thread.I've only really played with one gerber many years ago,long before I bought my first Leatherman,and I cant say I liked it much.

I now own four full sized LMs,a PST,a Wave,a Skelitool and now a knifeless Fuse,as well as a Style CS and a blue Sqirt PS4.The Fuse is at the moment a bit disapointing(but then it took me ages to love my Wave).I've always said to folks at work that you only need to buy a LM once,although you ended choosing to upgrade.LMs are relitively expensive,but ,man they are sooo good!

Likewise I've a evergrowing number of SAKs,both Vics and Wengers,which continue to surprise me as to thier quality and reliability at very reasonable prices.

I was looking to buy a lady friend a crimbo gift,for her to use at work,and I had a good look at the smaller Gerbers,but despite the competitive prices,I struggled to find a possitive review of any of them.In the end the LM styles models were disgarded and I bought her a Vic Manager in Ruby.I' been impressed enough to get myself one in blue.

I do plan to get a Curve at some point,but sorry Gerber,I'd have to be very very very desperate  to replace any of my big edc tools.

Oh Yeh I did have a SOG Power Assist for a while,but it lasted only a few weeks before I sold it on.Couldnt really fault it,but just the same, I couldnt get on with it either.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 08:45:26 PM by kirk13 »
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #5 on: February 14, 2011, 11:20:18 PM
I read this with mixed feelings- yes, Gerber has made their bed with some crappy tools, but I think they are coming around, and deserve some credit for it.  Besides, who else has produced a tool as cool as this?

And, let's not forget that there's also a few other things we are forgetting- the replaceable cutters everyone likes so much on the LM ST300 and MUT were originally a Gerber concept.  And, how many people likened the new Leatehrman tools to Gerbers, in looks as well as in concept?

Crap on Gerber if you will- it's your choice what you buy, but let's at least make sure to give credit where it's due.  Gerber has contributed significantly to the multitool industry as a whole, and we should at least appreciate them for that.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: February 14, 2011, 11:21:40 PM
I'm kinda done with Gerber as well.  I finally got my MP400 back from warranty last week and comparing it to the Sog Pocket PowerPlier that I got from David Bowen in the meantime... well, if I ever need OHO pliers I'll probably get another SOG.  Quality wise there was no comparison, even if the PPP doesn't have locking tools.  Ended up selling the MP400 after three days of having it back.

Sorry Gerber, I gave you two chances with full-size tools and twice you let me down.  No more money for you.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: February 14, 2011, 11:35:21 PM
I read this with mixed feelings- yes, Gerber has made their bed with some crappy tools, but I think they are coming around, and deserve some credit for it.  Besides, who else has produced a tool as cool as this?

And, let's not forget that there's also a few other things we are forgetting- the replaceable cutters everyone likes so much on the LM ST300 and MUT were originally a Gerber concept.  And, how many people likened the new Leatehrman tools to Gerbers, in looks as well as in concept?

Crap on Gerber if you will- it's your choice what you buy, but let's at least make sure to give credit where it's due.  Gerber has contributed significantly to the multitool industry as a whole, and we should at least appreciate them for that.

Def

Agreed.  The Gerber line may have it's flaws but it's a long way from all bad.  Oh and in addition to the replaceable wire cutters they also came out with the saw blade exchanger on the 800 Legend five years before it was to be found on the Surge.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline Pacu

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #8 on: February 14, 2011, 11:44:41 PM
I do like my ole 400/600 Gerbers. I remember back in the early 90s while in scouts Gerber was held in high regards with their Legendary Blades. Thier knives were great..the gator, LMF, BMF, mark 2, gatormate and the 400 (knife). When you bought one you knew you spent your money wisely. Fast Forward to 2011....man o man have they lost their way. Why throw money away when there are so many other proven quality builders out there? Abandon all hope all ye who enter here. :P
I understand you gotta go to China these days to turn a profit but look at Byrds quality. My Cara Cara and Meadowlark are both well built.

CRKT- great knives, there's always Buck, Case, Kershaw is real good....not too pricey.
:like:    :MTO:

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #9 on: February 14, 2011, 11:45:15 PM
Thanks Gareth- I knew there was something else I was forgetting!  :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: February 14, 2011, 11:47:03 PM
Thanks Gareth- I knew there was something else I was forgetting!  :D

Def

Actually the credit goes to Roadie for pointing it out in another thread not too long ago. :D

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #11 on: February 15, 2011, 02:32:25 AM
I like Gerbers. They are my second highest metal count after Leatherman in numbers.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline Crouton

• No Life Club
  • "Live long and ..useful."
Reply #12 on: February 15, 2011, 02:49:55 AM
No manufacturer gets it all right all the time. In general the multitool Gerber lineup doesn't do much for me but there are still some that I would like to try out like the Grappler and the Octane. 

:)

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #13 on: February 16, 2011, 02:54:55 AM
I cant even believe I am going to Gerbers defence. But to play devils advocate... You can still get some decent gerber stuff. Most of the new stuff is kinda junky but really think about it.

You can allways buy a.......... or you can ..........

Aww forget it I got nothing.

But remember there is great old tools still out there. Just trade for the old stuff and leave the new stuff alone if ya wnat.
S

us Offline Pacu

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #14 on: February 16, 2011, 02:57:56 AM
anyone think the diesel is up to snuff? I haven't played with one yet...but if its like the 400/600 id buy that for a dollar. :D
:like:    :MTO:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #15 on: February 16, 2011, 06:39:48 PM
anyone think the diesel is up to snuff? I haven't played with one yet...but if its like the 400/600 id buy that for a dollar. :D

I've only played with one for a few minutes but initial impressions were OK.  My friend, who owns it, swears it's better than any other MT out there, thought I think that's going a bit far IMO. :D  Myself I'd say it's not got a great leg up on the MP600, but if I found one for a good price I'd certainly think about it.

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #16 on: February 17, 2011, 04:38:04 AM
There is still some good stuff but the octane is too thin in the liner lock

us Offline Marlinaholic

Reply #17 on: February 17, 2011, 05:12:57 AM
It's true they innovate with things like the replaceable carbide cutters and blade exchanger ect. no denying that, but the quality of these last imported tools I bought was just horrible.  No Leatherman, SOG, or Vic I ever bought has been anywhere near that junky.  I mean you can argue about the features you like or hate on this Leatherman or that SOG ect. but I would grab any smaller tool from those makers, like say a Skeletool, Kick, or SOG PPP, or Vic Spirit and not be afraid to deploy the blade and cut up a larger cardboard box, something I do often at my job.  But I would be afraid to do that with the Crucial FAST or Octane, as I just don't think the blades would take it, especially the Octane, as the little nubbin the back of the blade bears against when you cut is very small and weak compared to how the blade locks up on the competing tools I mentioned.  The Octane's internal tools and pliers were not bad (except the anvil wire cutters which totally suck).  It had the potential to be a great tool.  Too bad they couldn't integrate the blade inside the tool like on a 400 or 600 so it would lock up solidly.   And yes, Leatherman seems to be taking cosmetic cues from Gerber with their new tools coming out this fall, I just hope they don't also copy Gerber's imported tool construction quality.   :P
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 05:15:33 AM by Marlinaholic »

us Offline SlackOne

• See Saw Seen
Reply #18 on: February 17, 2011, 06:19:57 PM
I'm solidly of the opinion that Gerber has great designers.  Unfortunately somewhere between the designers and the consumers stands the accountant.
Half-ass done wholeheartedly!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #19 on: February 17, 2011, 06:35:38 PM
I'm solidly of the opinion that Gerber has great designers.  Unfortunately somewhere between the designers and the consumers stands the accountant.

:D

Sadly you might be right though. ::)

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #20 on: February 17, 2011, 08:51:15 PM
I still have some hope that they will be getting better in the future, but I am willing to bet that no.

Shame to. Some of the stuff looks good, but unfortunatly they just seem to junk it up in construction. However we all know accountants jsut care about the bottom line, and it seems the rest of them there see it the same way. Profit over quality.
S

spam Offline glorn

• No Life Club
  • His name is Robert Paulson.
Reply #21 on: February 18, 2011, 04:47:07 AM
My old multiplier was great. Solid, well built, and clever.

My Pro Scout was the same.

So I figured a Diesel would be wonderful. Boy was I wrong. The blade tip broke off when I cut a small zip tie.. The Phillips driver stripped out the first time I used it.. It also just plain felt cheaper than my old Gerbers that I loved.

I'd carried a ST200 in between the Pro Scout and Diesel. It was an undeniable step up in quality, if not a step back in clever design.

I wound up modding it into a Diesel/Scout combo out of parts from each (my scout was trashed anyway). Even that was not enough to keep the ST200 off my belt. It just felt solid and I knew it was tough.

I'm not done with Gerber. I carry my EAB every day as a money clip and just love it. But I won't buy another MT from them. Not without some serious persuading via reviews. I rarely even stop in here, so low is my interest in Gerber.

I used to champion them back when I had my first two. Now? The opposite.

Hear that Gerber? You lost a vocal fan and turned him into a vocal opponent.

Quality. That is the final word for me. Gerber is not a name associated with quality. You take a chance anytime you buy something with their name on it.

The EAB is exceptional. But even it had to be recalled at first. Too bad.
G

Offline kareem

Reply #22 on: April 14, 2011, 11:27:21 AM
i just bought the splice, i didnt pick up the vise becouse from the box it looked like sh*t plus there was noise coming out of it,the pliers didnt match that mean one side was bigger than the other , the finish looked like it was meant to be "made in china" there were sharp edges all around
now i took the splice just because i sayed i wanted to try a gerber
i have the spice for one day now and you can notice the deference between it and the leatherman its like the difference between toyota civic (the old ones) and a new bmw 3 :S
i heard something that cheered me up a bit that i can return the splice add money and get a beter gerber that mean they will give me back 100% of the product's price so i can buy a new one
although its not that good the fact that i can get a better gerber in the future make it not suck as bad:S

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: April 14, 2011, 02:07:36 PM
I've got my first "proper" Gerber coming soon, a 600 DET. I'm interested to see what the quality is going to be like on this. To be honest the plier heads are not in keeping with what I need from a tool, and am thinking about swapping them out for the shears from a Paul Chen Multitasker - I think the mix of those big shears with the rest of the toolset should make for a very interesting combo

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #24 on: April 14, 2011, 06:42:30 PM
I've not owned either the Splice or Vice but I do remember picking one up and not being impressed. :-\  Gerber do seem to have such wide variation in what they see as acceptable; From the abysmal Suspension (that I wouldn't touch with 50ft's boat poll) through to the nicely designed and decent quality MP400 and 600 etc.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #25 on: April 15, 2011, 03:14:56 AM
Gerber produced the Radius to prove a point...that they could make a Gerber Suspension look good in comparison.  :rofl:
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #26 on: April 15, 2011, 08:19:05 AM
Gerber produced the Radius to prove a point...that they could make a Gerber Suspension look good in comparison.  :rofl:

Wow, I'd actually managed to block out the existence of the radius.  Horrible, horrible tool.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #27 on: April 16, 2011, 05:17:16 AM

Wow, I'd actually managed to block out the existence of the radius.  Horrible, horrible tool.(Image removed from quote.)

Indeed :P
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #28 on: April 16, 2011, 05:19:24 AM

Wow! I've met the great Gerber designers, and I believe your statement is incredibly accurate. :salute: (unfortunately) :-\
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #29 on: April 16, 2011, 11:31:04 AM
I've not owned either the Splice or Vice but I do remember picking one up and not being impressed. :-\  Gerber do seem to have such wide variation in what they see as acceptable; From the abysmal Suspension (that I wouldn't touch with 50ft's boat poll) through to the nicely designed and decent quality MP400 and 600 etc.

:rofl: I actually bought my Suspension for use at the boat - I was young and naive back then  :P

It's good to hear someone still praising the 400 & 600 (seen as I have one coming) despite their apparently continual descent into poor quality. It's wierd really. Such good designs and poor quality - it's like they're making cheap knockoffs of THEIR OWN GEAR. If only they'd look at producing a PRO range of each of their designs. Standard cheapo model at Joe Bloggs friendly prices, and a superior properly made version for those who expect more from a tool

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $36.34
PayPal Fees: $1.66
Net Balance: $34.68
Below Goal: $265.32
Site Currency: USD