Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What is the world coming to?

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
What is the world coming to?
on: October 28, 2007, 03:44:54 PM
Recently I saw an ad on TV for a new cream of broccoli soup at a restaurant chain.  The main point of the ad is how good the soup is because they start with real broccoli.  Now, I am sure that opinions of broccoli vary greatly from person to person, but I can't help wondering how pathetic our society is that buying real food, or at least things that contain real food is a major selling feature?

Kind of like Coors Light, where the best thing they seem to be able to say about it is that it's cold, which strikes me more of a user installed feature rather than anything on the part of the brewers.

Ads are getting dumber, and products are getting stranger.  I noticed an anvil for sale in the ad service at the top.  So, for a lark I went to eBay and searched for anvils.  Apparently there are quite a few, including a 110 pound anvil.  I wonder if it comes with a free replacement mailbox?  One ad was really interesting as it said to buy the anvil now because they were becoming extinct.  Well, not being an expert on anvil husbandry I have to wonder how they can become extinct?  They are big, heavy hunks of steel.  One would think they would be good for a little while at least.  Is there such thing as a disposable anvil?  Can you use it once or twice then toss it and pull a new one out of the box?  If I was selling an anvil I think this is how I'd do it:

"For Sale- Anvil.  Like New, only dropped on Daffy's head twice"

Apparently there are anvil collectors out there too, so if anyone makes fun of you for collecting multitools, here's your opportunity to show them that it could be a hell of a lot worse.  Now if you'll excuse me, I am off to enjoy a lunch with warm beer and fake ingredients.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline NeitherExtreme

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Re: What is the world coming to?
Reply #1 on: October 28, 2007, 07:29:08 PM
Yup, I think critical thinking has been critically injured in our society :-\

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #2 on: October 28, 2007, 11:28:34 PM
Real brocolli in soup?  Sounds interesting. ???  I always loved the warning signs on  power equipment.  Its like "no spit you idiot, you will get hurt if you grab the pto shaft when it is operating."  Mcdonalds coffee is the best though, it says coffee is hot, like you could not tell that when you picked up the cup?  Tim Hortons has the best idea though.  Just make the cup so thin that it burns you hand, people usually get that message easily.

I bought a bag of beef jerky that said  "product contains beef."  I guess that it would not be beef jerky if it did not.

Going a little off topic here but during lunchtime one day a friend asked me if I liked eating pig brains and chicken sphincters.  I said no!  He said "you seem to have enjoyed your slim jim." :)   

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #3 on: October 29, 2007, 12:07:58 AM
Haha... off topic here... but I am really enjoying this thread so far :)

(maybe is has to do with that big bottle of wine I just finished :P )

Ok, back on topic! 

I seriously want to collect anvils now.  That's something you don't hear of everyday.  I'm also curious how fake broccoli tastes :)  Anyone have any?

If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: October 29, 2007, 12:53:55 AM
It's funny that you mentioned Tim Hortons- that's the place that starts with real broccoli for their soup. 

Warning labels are fascinating things.  What really gets to me is that each one of those warning labels probably has a lawsuit attached to it.  My guess is that somewhere, somehow, some idiot had an allergic reaction to eating beef jerky, knowing full well he was allergic to beef, but for some reason didn't think there was beef in it.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Stormdrane

• No Life Club
  • Be Prepared
Reply #5 on: October 29, 2007, 01:09:52 AM
Sort of like what do gorilla's have in common with Cadbury chocolate bars?... :D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: October 29, 2007, 01:24:50 AM
Nice to see that Phil Collins finally got hair plugs! :P

Def

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #7 on: October 29, 2007, 01:39:32 AM
I ate a real beef pattie once at a Wendy's; it was good!
[

us Offline NeitherExtreme

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #8 on: October 29, 2007, 02:08:53 AM
If I had the money and resources, I'd do some "scientific" tests that prove that exesive warning labels causes people not to read them, which causes them to ignore the important ones, which causes injury. Then they'd have to put another label on the product, one that reads "Warning: this product contains exsesive warnings which may be hazardous to your health." :D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: October 29, 2007, 02:27:08 AM
I much prefer to do all my grocery shopping at the HazMat section of the local DuPont facility.  I mean sure, it may not be real chicken, but where else can you go to guarantee that in a family of siz or more, everyone is guaranteed a drumstick? 

Def

us Offline 665ae

• No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #10 on: October 29, 2007, 03:18:31 AM
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: October 29, 2007, 03:30:40 AM
You should have had a warning label on that picture- WARNING: Reading the print in this photo may cause you to laugh so hard that you may pee yourself!

Def

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #12 on: October 29, 2007, 03:39:30 AM
I despair of the world my grand daughter is going to inherit.Dumbing down started in the '60s and gathering speed.Between dumbing down,and not taking responsibility for one's own actions,you do have to wonder how much longer civilization has left on the clock.
I

us Offline 665ae

• No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #13 on: October 29, 2007, 03:51:42 AM

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #14 on: October 29, 2007, 04:25:26 AM
I despair of the world my grand daughter is going to inherit.Dumbing down started in the '60s and gathering speed.Between dumbing down,and not taking responsibility for one's own actions,you do have to wonder how much longer civilization has left on the clock.

Well, according to the program that I just finished watching on the history channel it will be somewhere in 2012.  Start hoarding multitools, SAKs, Knives, Guns, and Ammo because it is coming up quick.  According to the Mayans it will be Dec. 21, 2012.  I guess that I will have to ask my wife to buy me another AK for Christmas and give it to me a week early so I can check the sights and get ready to fight off the zombies. :)

I have always wanted to spend my Christmas in a real live zombie situation. :D :D :D 

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #15 on: October 29, 2007, 05:22:55 AM
Would that include zombie elves and reindeer? :D
I

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #16 on: October 29, 2007, 01:49:04 PM
There's a movie out now that you guys should watch if you are concerned about the dumbing down of society.  It's called Idiocracy and it stars Luke Wilson.  It's rude, and crass, but also very spooky and very possibly quite true.

There's naughty language in the prologue:

Def

Offline Biru

Reply #17 on: October 29, 2007, 03:30:20 PM
It's not only the dumbing down of Society, but the use of Political Correctness to quell the Freedom of Speech. You can't have a civilized discussion anymore without someone taking offense to their racial/national makeup, whatever that may be. It's like people keep their ears pricked up, just waiting to divert whatever the subject matter. You can't even discuss movies of different nationalities on the Internet Movie Database without some poster accusing you of dissing their whole country because you thought a certain movie was boring.

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #18 on: October 30, 2007, 12:50:10 AM
Political correctness is killing us.  It is turning our children into wimps.  It is politically incorrect for a child to draw a picture of a gun in school.  Even when I was in high school in the late 90's two of my classmates were suspended for taking waterguns to school during halloween.  How do we expect young men and women to grow up to become soldiers, marines, and general defenders of freedom if guns are not a part of life.  At my last job I gained a reputation for not being PC.  I was shocked that most people actually respected it and actually followed me in becoming non-pc.  If someone got offended we told them to f---off, and it worked everyone got along.  Except for the guy that was a card carrying member of the ACLU or "aging communist leftover union" :) he did not renew his membership after working with my crew for a few months. :) 

Offline jock1

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: October 30, 2007, 10:52:34 PM
You are lucky you were not in the UK as you would probably be hunted down and re-educated by the pc police (NAZI B*****D)

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #20 on: October 30, 2007, 10:56:46 PM
You are lucky you were not in the UK as you would probably be hunted down and re-educated by the pc police (NAZI B*****D)
Your not wrong mate >:(, mind you it does seem as though with weathered the worst of it, now the 90's are behind us ::)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #21 on: October 30, 2007, 11:54:08 PM
How do we expect young men and women to grow up to become soldiers, marines, and general defenders of freedom if guns are not a part of life. 

I was thinking that the other day...two I can think of is video games (the Battlefield series) and paintball are two "mainstream" things that kidscan pretty easily get into. 

But things like holding a toy rifle up to your shoulder and looking down the barrel when you're 5 years old, or loading caps into a toy revolver are becoming rare...and we all know about the horrible savage games of DODGEBALL that we all played in grade school, middle school, highschool...I swear to God Almighty there was a public school here in Rhode Isnald that had African dancing as a gym activity.
[

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #22 on: October 31, 2007, 12:50:04 AM
An old friend of mine (old as in he helped his grandfather use a horse drawn plow to prepare the fields on the farm) from my archaeology days was telling me that he was on the rifle team in high school.  He and his brothers took their rifles (in cases of course) with them on the bus to school.  They were expected to clean their rifles at home so they could pass the inspection of the coach the next day.  Those days have long since past and I think that we should learn from this and go back to the old ways again.  Firearms teach discipline and responsibility to students.  It is an exercise in achieveing perfection.  Success takes practice and great attention to detail.  Perhaps if such skills were taught to people when they were growing up we would not have all the problem that we have today. 

As for being PC I am all for being fair to everyone no matter who they might be.  I am also a believer that one should trust their instincts and if you get a bad feeling about someone or somthing you should trust your feelings over all else.  If you have somthing on your mind for Gods sake say it.  My friends have learned that I dont get mad when they disagree with me so they dont mind when I disagree with them.   

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #23 on: October 31, 2007, 01:14:57 AM
An old friend of mine (old as in he helped his grandfather use a horse drawn plow to prepare the fields on the farm) from my archaeology days was telling me that he was on the rifle team in high school.  He and his brothers took their rifles (in cases of course) with them on the bus to school.  They were expected to clean their rifles at home so they could pass the inspection of the coach the next day.  Those days have long since past and I think that we should learn from this and go back to the old ways again.  Firearms teach discipline and responsibility to students.  It is an exercise in achieveing perfection.  Success takes practice and great attention to detail.  Perhaps if such skills were taught to people when they were growing up we would not have all the problem that we have today. 

As for being PC I am all for being fair to everyone no matter who they might be.  I am also a believer that one should trust their instincts and if you get a bad feeling about someone or somthing you should trust your feelings over all else.  If you have somthing on your mind for Gods sake say it.  My friends have learned that I dont get mad when they disagree with me so they dont mind when I disagree with them.   

Mike Savage talked about shooting .22 rifles in his high school years ago.  He said it cleared his head and he was able to focus more after shooting.  Oh well, that would have been a nice elective to take in my HS years :-\

And I agree with trusting your gut, and speaking your mind.  Most scams and scammers can be uncovered with about 5 seconds of a "gut feeling".  And if two people who won't speak their minds during a conversation, that conversation will go in circles for a long, long, long time...JUST SAY WHAT YOU MEAN ALREADY! :twak:
[

Offline jock1

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: October 31, 2007, 12:17:45 PM
There's a movie out now that you guys should watch if you are concerned about the dumbing down of society.  It's called Idiocracy and it stars Luke Wilson.  It's rude, and crass, but also very spooky and very possibly quite true.

There's naughty language in the prologue:

Def
Def I may have to send you the dry cleaning bill after watching that :D I am quite sure they actually have a point all to often the chronically stupid seem to survive and breed like rabbits when the average Joe would have died if they tried some of the bonehead stunts

Reply #25 on: October 31, 2007, 12:24:41 PM
Oh my god, how true is that film :o

Sadly that seems to be the way the world is going, be it trailer trash or chavs there breeding like bleedin rabits >:(

Maybe they should invent a multi with a vasectomy tool, before it's to late :D

here's my solution, crude but effective...

* ist2_1269486_two_bricks.jpg (Filesize: 35.37 KB)

Offline jock1

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: October 31, 2007, 12:34:29 PM
Is that not the standard NHS vasectomy kit?

Reply #27 on: October 31, 2007, 12:36:46 PM
Is that not the standard NHS vasectomy kit?
Why do you think I've not had it done yet :D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #28 on: October 31, 2007, 01:43:46 PM
That reminds me of the old joke....

Three guys are hanging around an oasis in the middle of the desert.  The first guy is bragging that his camel can drink 100 gallons of water.  The second guy says "That's nothing, my camel can drink 150 gallons of water!"  The third guy chimes in with "Big deal, my camel drinks 500 gallons of water!" 

The first two guys ask him how his camel can drink so much water, and the third guy says that when his camel starts drinking, he sneaks up behind the camel with two bricks and claps them together as hard as he can on the camel's testicles.  (At this point you make a surprised sucking sound, as if you were the camel and someone just crucshed your goodies)

The first guy says "Doesn't that hurt?"

The third guy responds "Only if you get your thumbs caught in the middle."

Def

Reply #29 on: October 31, 2007, 02:29:04 PM
 :D :D good one mate!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!