Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Sheath attatchment method?

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Sheath attatchment method?
on: February 25, 2011, 02:16:39 PM
How does everyone prefer to attach the sheath?  Solid belt loops, plastic clips (like Nite Ize), belt loops with snaps or velcro like MOLLE gizmos or some other method?

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

il Offline Threeme2189

• No Life Club
  • When in doubt, use a bigger hammer.
Re: Sheath attatchment method?
Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 02:32:38 PM
I just use a solid belt loop.
It's the safest method.
Because unless somebody successfully takes my belt or pants off I know it's not going anywhere :D
Chuck Norris' preferred iron supplement is rebar.

us Offline ari6126

• No Life Club
  • Colors!
Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 02:59:57 PM
I wonder why you are asking? :P I like solid belt loops.

spam Offline zepla

• No Life Club
  • Where is all that water coming from?!
Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 03:02:03 PM
Just the standard solid belt loop over here as well, found on the leather leatherman sheath.  It seems with me in daily practise that the sheath sometimes got snaged behind things, at those time I'm real happy that it is solid fixed at my belt since I work alot around water.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 04:01:14 PM

Mostly out of curiousity- if you are thinking about a certain side project of mine, we are going for MOLLE type attachments on that.  :P

I like the solid belt loop as well, except that I find it less convenient to take off and put on.  I've actually been leaning more towards easy on, easy off type sheaths so that when I get home from work I can just unclip it before dropping on the couch.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011, 04:07:57 PM
Solid loop as well for me, although good snaps or strong velcro belt loops would be fine (I don't have any of those styles yet). 

Don't like the Nite-Ize plastic clip

spam Offline zepla

• No Life Club
  • Where is all that water coming from?!
Reply #6 on: February 25, 2011, 04:19:47 PM

Mostly out of curiousity- if you are thinking about a certain side project of mine, we are going for MOLLE type attachments on that.  :P

I like the solid belt loop as well, except that I find it less convenient to take off and put on.  I've actually been leaning more towards easy on, easy off type sheaths so that when I get home from work I can just unclip it before dropping on the couch.

Def

Something like that would be interesting if only a safe method like a solid loop would excist without adding bulk.

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: February 25, 2011, 10:02:04 PM
Industrial saftey pins work well - a lot of my work stuff incorporates them . I like dangler clips , and on my own stuff I often use paracord beltloops .

I think I may go over to small Malice clips in a big way , if I ever get hold of a supply of them .

Clips are an invite to a lost sheath . Old Skool leather belt loops are great , but hard to repair , change or adjust without un and restitching of the sheath .

I think a combination of Molle and Malice technology may be the final answer . Alice clips blow chunks , you have to use them in pairs to get even minimal security .

Chris

us Offline Inzelique

• If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer
Reply #8 on: February 25, 2011, 11:20:19 PM
I prefer a combined approach.  The sheaths I've made, I take a 6.5 inch piece of webbing and sew on velcro and attach to the back of the sheath.  The webbing folds over itself and the velcro locks it shut. And because the velcro is behind your belt, it cannot open by itself, but simply reaching in with a finger and pulling upp on the velcro will release the sheath instantly.  The best of both worlds. ;)  I always make them large enough for a 2" belt so there is a bit of wiggle room for the sheath to move around when you sit or walk. I got the idea from Maxpedition's Keyper, and the method they use for attaching the removable shoulder pads.

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #9 on: February 26, 2011, 06:16:28 AM
For knife, multitool, and flashlight holsters I prefer a solid belt loop made of the same material as the holster.  Metal snap fasteners on the loop would be a plus because the holster can be attached to PALS type webbing.  (Just say no to Velcro.)

Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #10 on: February 26, 2011, 06:16:14 PM
Solid belt loop here too, only for the fact that it doesn't add any bulk to the whole hog. I wouldn't mind some molle-like velcro system if it had the option to be made narrower (e.g. imagine an extra strip of horizontal pals nylon above the normal one, so that you could wear it with normal belts).

ca Offline PyroJames

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: March 02, 2011, 05:29:20 PM
For me, it depends... for pants, belt loop and belt clip (I prefer clip).  For my backpack and tactical bags, I prefer MOLLE.
This is called a Swiss Army Knife. Do you know what Switzerland is? Switzerland is a place where they don't like to fight, so they get people to do their fighting for them while they ski and eat chocolate. - Larry David

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $36.34
PayPal Fees: $1.66
Net Balance: $34.68
Below Goal: $265.32
Site Currency: USD
 12%