Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

74mm and 84mm...I can't be the only one

spam Offline GraysonK

• No Life Club
  • "When nothing goes right, go left"
74mm and 84mm...I can't be the only one
on: March 02, 2011, 06:34:46 AM
Hey Guys,
I am seriously jonesing for some more 74mm and 84mm SAK's.  Don't get me wrong, I love almost everything Vic puts out there, but I'd love it if they'd bring back or bring out some new 74mm and 84mm products.  I'm seriously wanting a 84mm Climber and I want to eventually find some more 74mm.  As of right now I've only got 2 Executives that size.  I don't even know if there are more of them out there somewhere. 
I have been recently diagnosed with ADOSS... Attention Deficit OH SOMETHING SHINY!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Re: 74mm and 84mm...I can't be the only one
Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 08:26:05 AM
No you've not the only one. :cheers:  Sadly though Vic have said they have no intention of ever doing 84mm scissors again.  Do pick up a Ambassador, it's an excellent SAK, but I'd also love to see a new tool made for the 74mm line.  A caplifter/Phillips would be perfect IMO.

If you've not tried Wenger yet do give them a go.  At 85mm they're as close as you'll get to having a full range from Vic.  Plus they're very good SAKs in their own right. :tu:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

ca Offline Stirling3749

Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 08:42:52 AM
There was an 84mm Climber but it's no longer being made. http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Climber+84mm

I'm starting to look at 74mm and 84mm models myself actually, being a somewhat small handed guy.
I've really got my eye on the Executive. I mean come on, it has an orange peeler. ... I love oranges.  :D

gb Offline sousterre1

Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 12:24:19 PM
Tim has an 84mm climber in stock, I think it's about $35. I have to agree 84mm is my favourite too, shame there will be no more sporting the scissors, but I think thats part of the appeal. Good luck with the search.
All mushrooms are edible, some only once.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 12:42:58 PM
I echo Gareth. :tu:

I've been EDCing a Wenger S557 lately and really like it.

spam Offline GraysonK

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 01:58:11 PM
No you've not the only one. :cheers:  Sadly though Vic have said they have no intention of ever doing 84mm scissors again.  Do pick up a Ambassador, it's an excellent SAK, but I'd also love to see a new tool made for the 74mm line.  A caplifter/Phillips would be perfect IMO.

If you've not tried Wenger yet do give them a go.  At 85mm they're as close as you'll get to having a full range from Vic.  Plus they're very good SAKs in their own right. :tu:
:ahhh A caplifter/phillips on a 74mm is EXACTLY what I was thinking!   :drool: I would love that.  Thanks for the heads up on the Wenger, I might give them a try.  Thanks to Mr. Whippy too. 

Sousterre,
Where???  Hard to find, New, or Pre-owned?  I can't find it.  Thanks for the heads up.
I have been recently diagnosed with ADOSS... Attention Deficit OH SOMETHING SHINY!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 02:03:34 PM
Both Neil and someone else (I'm embarrassed to say I can't recall who right now) have modded a 58mm combo tool into a 74mm SAK.  It's something that I've been thinking about doing myself for a couple of years now but just haven't gotten around to trying. :-[

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #7 on: March 02, 2011, 02:03:44 PM

Sousterre,
Where???  Hard to find, New, or Pre-owned?  I can't find it.  Thanks for the heads up.

Tim will always show the 84mm scissor models in the hard to find/discontinued section.  I saw that one in there last week, but it's gone now.  :(
- Terry

spam Offline GraysonK

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: March 02, 2011, 02:05:13 PM

Sousterre,

Tim will always show the 84mm scissor models in the hard to find/discontinued section.  I saw that one in there last week, but it's gone now.  :(
Well, shoot.  Thanks for letting me know.  :) 

gb Offline sousterre1

Reply #9 on: March 02, 2011, 02:08:42 PM
Yea sorry I should have checked before getting your hopes up  :oops: It was there for 2 weeks or so. If I see one going anywhere i'll send you a p.m.
All mushrooms are edible, some only once.

spam Offline GraysonK

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: March 02, 2011, 02:16:17 PM
Yea sorry I should have checked before getting your hopes up  :oops: It was there for 2 weeks or so. If I see one going anywhere i'll send you a p.m.
No problem. :D  Thanks though.  :)

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: March 02, 2011, 02:21:55 PM

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: March 02, 2011, 03:43:26 PM
Im a big fan of these sized SAK's they fit nicelly in the pocket , i carried a vic climber first, but then replaced it for a 84mm commander, as i liked the scissors on my esquier i ended up getting a wenger 84mm traveller from EDC source from neil and i love it,

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: March 02, 2011, 03:44:20 PM
sorry  :think:  here is another pic

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #14 on: March 02, 2011, 03:57:34 PM
Both Neil and someone else (I'm embarrassed to say I can't recall who right now) have modded a 58mm combo tool into a 74mm SAK.  It's something that I've been thinking about doing myself for a couple of years now but just haven't gotten around to trying. :-[

I saw that one in the SAK mod thread yesterday. Excellent idea! Victorinox should make a 74mm combo tool. That would be awesome 8)
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: March 02, 2011, 05:26:35 PM

I saw that one in the SAK mod thread yesterday. Excellent idea! Victorinox should make a 74mm combo tool. That would be awesome 8)
SOSAK member nemotron recently put the 58mm combo tool into a 74mm knife.  He did some other pretty cool mods to it as well.

I've been buying 84mm knives for a while, some very cheap, some not very cheap. They have been going for as low as 11 dollars or so for a climber, I actually considered the felinevet one overpriced, but if you don't deal with ebay and want hassle free service. 

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #16 on: March 02, 2011, 05:51:49 PM

SOSAK member nemotron recently put the 58mm combo tool into a 74mm knife.  He did some other pretty cool mods to it as well.

I've been buying 84mm knives for a while, some very cheap, some not very cheap. They have been going for as low as 11 dollars or so for a climber, I actually considered the felinevet one overpriced, but if you don't deal with ebay and want hassle free service.
That's who I was thinking of.  Cheers mate. :cheers:

us Offline frugalscotty

• Pacific NW
Reply #17 on: March 02, 2011, 07:03:19 PM
Ditto on the call for more choices in the 74mm line.  :pok:

Keep your eye on ebay. There have been several small Climbers sold recently on there.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $56.34
PayPal Fees: $2.74
Net Balance: $53.60
Below Goal: $246.40
Site Currency: USD
18%