Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

And the winner is.. Backpacker Magazine announces # 1 MT for 2011

us Offline sergemaster

• No Life Club
Amici,
Backpacker Magazine a very well known publication about anything backpacking or hiking related, has just put out it's top 10 picks for gearheads for 2011 in their March issue.

When it comes to multitools,what did they select as for the best? Was it the Surge, Wave, Charge TTI, or even the MUT?

The answer is NO to all of the above. The winner for the best multitool to use when backpacking for 2011 is the Leatherman JUICE S2..

Some of the reasons the Juice S2 was selected was it's many bit drivers, can opener, plier head, 3" blade, anodized scales, and of course the overall size and weight.

So there you have it. You may not like it, but it is what it is.. Thoughts anyone?

Cheers,
Serge
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 07:37:57 PM by sergemaster »
'I will NOT be threatened by a walking Meatloaf!!' - D. Kessler

us Offline powerring

• In brightest day....
I think the Juice S2 is a great choice.  It is a well made and versatile tool for its relatively light weight of 4.4 oz.  It's hard to justify some of the larger tools like a Surge (12.5 oz.) when every ounce counts.  The Juice is a good compromise.

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Its on my wish list .

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
I don't know much weight factored in to their choice but for an extra ounce I think the CS4 with a saw and awl is more practical. Also, does anyone actually bring can and bottles with them while backpacking?  :think:

us Offline CENTURION

I can't knock them for choosing the Juice, most people probably don't need the extra strength and capability of a larger tool. If they want to carry a tool, they'll probably want something small and light that they can just throw in their pocket/purse/bag and go.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
....well it's not a surprise ... but certainly wouldn't be my choice  :shrug:
One of the reasons I bought my CS4 was with backpacking in mind, but having got one I'd probably go for other options.

Firstly with backpacking, there's a lot to be said for OHO or fixed blade knives. If you end up getting tangled in something and only have one hand available - a juice is going to be tricky to say the least. I'd also say that this is one of the few times where I personally would consider maybe having a combi-edge or dedicated serrated blade for fibrous materials.

On the pliers question, if it's small tasks such as a sewing aid, pulling large splinters, bending light wire for repairs etc, or working with knots - maybe a squirt, an IDL tool (T10) or even SAK pliers would suffice. If your first aid kit has locking forceps - you might argue you don't need small pliers.The only reason I can see full sized (or larger) pliers being required is if getting entangled in barbed/razor wire ... in which case you've done something stupid anyway.

Scissors I'd agree with, and some folks like corkscrews for untying knots - but I'd prefer the small pliers and ... an awl. an Awl with sewing eye can be a very useful thing if hiking/backpacking .... far more than a selection of 4 driver bits IMHO. A corkscrew could carry a Vic mini driver ... but there are so many other options for small scredriver capabilities.

If I was to be totally limited to LM goods, personally I'd rather have a squirt P4 AND a micra, rather than a juice. In reality though it would be dedicated knife along with a MT which ideally had sewing awl, scissors, smallish pliers, mini screwdriver (for specs), and tweezers. If any of these were missing from my knife/mt combo ... I'd supplement with additional items.

As for a saw, I'd either want a wire saw (at a minimum) or ideally a Bahco Laplander if I could spare the room/weight ... if I got in a fix and NEEDED a saw ... I'd want a SAW!!!

Veering off LM for a mo, I've actually got a Buck X-Tract on it's way which is heavy but ALL tools are OHO. I'm looking forward to seeing how this would feel in this role. It goes against a lot of what I've said above ... but I had to justify buying it somehow  :D

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
The only reason I can see full sized (or larger) pliers being required is if getting entangled in barbed/razor wire ... in which case you've done something stupid anyway.

:D :D

Seriously though, I do a good bit of hiking in Harriman State Park which is 35 miles north of NYC and its quite common to run into metal remnants from when it was being mined for iron, old rusted fences, there is even a whole town that was abandoned in the mid-60s and has been left to slowly decay. Having pliers makes sense for me and for my dog, who, while a very astute hiker, sometimes does something stupid  ::)

ca Offline PyroJames

• No Life Club
Wow, S2... I was actually thinking about getting this one for the longest time because I couldn't find the KF4 anymore.  It's nice to hear that it got good reviews. I think I'll definitely get one now.
This is called a Swiss Army Knife. Do you know what Switzerland is? Switzerland is a place where they don't like to fight, so they get people to do their fighting for them while they ski and eat chocolate. - Larry David

us Offline sergemaster

• No Life Club

TheoneW wrote:
I do a good bit of hiking in Harriman State Park which is 35 miles north of NYC and its quite common to run into metal remnants from when it was being mined for iron, old rusted fences, there is even a whole town that was abandoned in the mid-60s and has been left to slowly decay.

Ahhh yes, DOODLETOWN I know it well...

Cheers,
Serge
'I will NOT be threatened by a walking Meatloaf!!' - D. Kessler

us Offline powerring

• In brightest day....

Veering off LM for a mo, I've actually got a Buck X-Tract on it's way which is heavy but ALL tools are OHO. I'm looking forward to seeing how this would feel in this role. It goes against a lot of what I've said above ... but I had to justify buying it somehow  :D

I carry a Buck X-Tract Essential (instead of my Juice S2) in my hiking pack precisely for the OHO.  It's just 1/10 ounce heavier than the Juice and the blade is excellent.  I think you'll like it.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Love the Juice S2 and it would be fine for hiking/backpacking.  I'd pick the Skeletool over the S2 however because of a better blade, more versatile driver options (customizable) and carabiner clip, allowing for more varied and accessible carry options.

Only 17 grams heavier too.

us Offline asupernothing

• The best way to predict the future is to create it
Come to think of it, the S2/CS4 would be my tools of choice for backpacking too. Lightweight and high utility. No real need for a file and bit driver on the trail. Pliers however are great for gear adjustments/repairs.

TheoneW wrote:
I do a good bit of hiking in Harriman State Park which is 35 miles north of NYC and its quite common to run into metal remnants from when it was being mined for iron, old rusted fences, there is even a whole town that was abandoned in the mid-60s and has been left to slowly decay.

Ahhh yes, DOODLETOWN I know it well...

Cheers,
Serge

I haven't been up to Harriman for years (since I was in middle school). I think I will have to head over there soon to check it out again soon. Its only like 40 minutes from me, so I can't think of a reason not to.
(insert witty quote)

us Offline David

• Absolutely No Life Club
I`m with Mr. W on this. I`d much rather have a Skeletool.    :D
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
I don't know much weight factored in to their choice but for an extra ounce I think the CS4 with a saw and awl is more practical. Also, does anyone actually bring can and bottles with them while backpacking?  :think:

If you're going for more than 3-4 days, yeah, every ounce counts when hauling a pack.  As for cans and bottles... not so much bottles but it's useful to bring things like canned meats for the fat content (which is otherwise VERY difficult to get in hiking food).

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
I haven't been up to Harriman for years (since I was in middle school). I think I will have to head over there soon to check it out again soon. Its only like 40 minutes from me, so I can't think of a reason not to.

I've been on every trail in there at least once. Shoot me an email if you want some hiking suggestions :tu:

pl Offline Fistach

The only reason I can see full sized (or larger) pliers being required is if getting entangled in barbed/razor wire ... in which case you've done something stupid anyway.

(Image removed from quote.)

:D :D

Seriously though, I do a good bit of hiking in Harriman State Park which is 35 miles north of NYC and its quite common to run into metal remnants from when it was being mined for iron, old rusted fences, there is even a whole town that was abandoned in the mid-60s and has been left to slowly decay. Having pliers makes sense for me and for my dog, who, while a very astute hiker, sometimes does something stupid  ::)
Well I have Charge TTi and I see no point in buying juice. With ~40 more grams I can do countless more things - the tool is more versatile, I have a wood saw to make a small tent or use it in emergency situation to make a stretcher (I know it's kinda extreme) - with bit kit I have almost everything in this tool.

Still tin this magazine they must have had theirs reasons to choose Juice - but I don't know whether they have ever even considered full size tool to be packed along.

Happy and safe hiking everyone!

us Offline New_World

• No Life Club
  • I EDC a cell phone
the juice s2 is good...i own 2!
Quality Control
Materials
Design

us Offline asupernothing

• The best way to predict the future is to create it
I doubt I would take my Charge on a multi-day hike. Its just twice the weight for very little added benefit. As I said earlier the bit driver is unnecessary out on the trail as is the file and second blade. I would still say CS4 is probably a better and more well rounded tool though.
(insert witty quote)

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
We're all looking at the Juice as a hiking companion, for which I think the lack of saw is a drawback (in fact I take a SAK, every time).  But if we think about the average travelling backpacker (students etc) then the S2 is a pretty good tool IMO. :)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

ca Offline jzmtl

I still hate the S2 for having a bloody spacer instead of the awl, and it's pinned so I can't replace it with one myself.  >:(

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice

If you're going for more than 3-4 days, yeah, every ounce counts when hauling a pack.  As for cans and bottles... not so much bottles but it's useful to bring things like canned meats for the fat content (which is otherwise VERY difficult to get in hiking food).
t
Dehydrated meals in pouches is the MOST weight efficient.   Skip the cans

ca Offline jzmtl

Most expensive too, I could eat $30 worth of them in a day just sitting around. Throw in any physical activity I'm looking at $50.

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Most expensive too, I could eat $30 worth of them in a day just sitting around. Throw in any physical activity I'm looking at $50.

LOL, "Dinner for 4" is barely a lunch for me  :D

I got a dehydrator several months ago and I'm loving it. Very cost effective.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
I don't know....

I spent 8 hours/day doing 2 tool ice climbing with 55 lbs of gear on my back.  Then 1 day@  high camp then summit day then back 2 basecamp.  I managed with 3 packets a day (about 1700 cals no problem) about. $18 per day plus snacks.

Expensive like the cost of a Mcdonalds meal

us Offline IrishMike

Not for nothing, but it took them until 2011 to think this was the multi of the year... guess they don't do this every year or review tools as a "class of 20xx".

Basically: I read the title and thought "It's March, how could they know the tool of the year already they haven't had a year to MAKE new tools.

:P

ca Offline jzmtl

I don't know....

I spent 8 hours/day doing 2 tool ice climbing with 55 lbs of gear on my back.  Then 1 day@  high camp then summit day then back 2 basecamp.  I managed with 3 packets a day (about 1700 cals no problem) about. $18 per day plus snacks.

I'm probably bigger than you though, so I need more calorie. :D No way I can do a physical day on 1700 cals.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 11:10:46 PM by jzmtl »

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
I don't know....

I'm probably bigger than you though, so I need more calorie. :D No way I can do a physical day on 1700 cals.

:cheers:

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
The S2 is a great tool.  I wish I had one...

nl Offline Desmodromic

I could see why they choose the juice, but why not the XE6?, small and more complete!
Someone who wants finds a solution
Someone who doesn't want finds an excuse

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75