Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Anybody have a WorkChamp?

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Anybody have a WorkChamp?
on: March 18, 2011, 10:05:24 PM
I've got an Outrider, and really like it, but I really want the file and pliers that are in the WorkChamp.  Because of that, when I carry one of my SAK's, it's usually my SwissChamp because of the pliers.  They're perfect for pulling little pieces of glass and thorns out of my tires that I get from time to time when I have to fix a flat while biking.  The file is also useful for buffing inner tubes; saves me whenever I lose that little piece of sandpaper in the patch kit.

So, I've been thinking I could get away with carrying only ONE tool, if it was a WorkChamp.  Any thoughts, input, reflections, etc. on this knife/tool would be appreciated.
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Re: Anybody have a WorkChamp?
Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 10:15:58 PM
I have a WorkChamp but it's still NIB and I've never carried/used it. I imagine it's a bit too big and heavy for EDC use, but I guess it should be OK in a backpack or something (or whatever bag you use while biking).
My hands are quite big and the WorkChamp fits my hands perfectly. It should be pretty comfortable to use it.

Oh and if it's too big, there is always the Tradesman (no scissors/long Phillips).
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 10:18:01 PM by Reinier »
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

de Offline Jmora

Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011, 11:30:22 PM
it is really big, for the size and weight, a pliers-based MT might be better (I've said this in other posts). In fact it would be interesting to hear if people find advantages of the Workchamp over the spirit (for example).

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 01:10:19 AM
Yeah, I was looking at the weight... it's like, 7.5 oz. which is kind of heavy... heavier than my SwissChamp. 

I honestly don't need to EDC a tool with a larger plier in it, 90% of what I use a plier for is small tasks, so I'm not really concerned about not having a bigger plier.  If I really need one I've got a couple of Gerbers and a Leatherman for that.  The other tools would come in handy for me, not just for when I'm biking, but I'm a scout leader too.

My hope was that I could consolidate with something like the WorkChamp, and not have to also carry a larger knife, keychain scissors, etc. so that hopefully would make up for the weight and size.

Guess I still need to think on it some more.
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: March 19, 2011, 01:27:17 AM
Considering the SwissTool Spirit seems like a good idea.

For the Workchamp you're looking at a width of 28.9mm and a weight of 205g.  Which is thinner than your Champ and only slightly heavier (according to my notes same weight as stag scaled champ).

You might consider carrying the Outrider and getting a second smaller tool like a Special Mechanic for the pliers, or having a small custom one made with the pliers.  Often it is handy to have the pliers in a separate tool so both can be used at the same time.

Overall it seems pretty reasonable to carry the Workchamp if you like big knives.  What is it you actually prefer on your Outrider over the SwissChamp?

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: March 19, 2011, 04:51:23 AM
ICan,

The thing I like about the larger size knife, is well, the larger size... :)  The larger blade and saw are useful to me, particular at times when I'm doing scout stuff, and I like having the locking blade as well.  I also like the form factor better, it fits in my hand better and is easier to use. 

I forgot about the usefulness of having separate pliers...  I guess it's kind of pie in the sky to think I can get by with a single tool to meet all my needs...  And I suppose that I'm just going to have to buck up and accept there's a certain amount of weight I'm going to have to carry to have the tools with me I need. 

I honestly have very few mechanical problems with my bike, because I take good care of it normally, but there have been times I've had problems to deal with and they have been doozies sometimes... like the time I hit a rock and broke my rear derailleur into about three pieces... 

I guess the most prudent thing to do is to find a combination of a multi-tool and knife/tool that will meet my needs in the most efficient way possible, but I'm sure that I'll have to live with some duplication of functionality, and carry a bit of extra weight.  In the long run I suppose an ounce or three here and there isn't going to kill me, and it will be better to, as the scout motto goes, be prepared.  :-)

us Offline stressmaster5000

• No Life Club
  • No PM's - just email please
Reply #6 on: March 19, 2011, 05:21:44 AM
I like the way the 111mm handle and blade works for me too. That larger blade makes easy work slicing stuff. I suggest if you like that then get yourself a 1 or 2 layer 111mm SAK and compliment it with something else to finish out the tool selection you want to carry. I carry a large single blade 111mm for just that reason.
 :tu:

england Offline thesuper

Reply #7 on: March 20, 2011, 06:39:05 PM
I too have the w/champ and Vic spirit, they are different animals as far as I'm concerned. The spirit is the epitomy of a multitool, solid, well equiped and beautifuly built, bomb proof. The w/champ is a monster of a SAK, again well built and strong, and the knife blade on it is huge! The difference? the spirit is a multitool with a knife, the w/champ is a knife with added tools. They are both excelent, just different. Either would make fine choice.
It seemed like a good idea at the time.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD