Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Robeson "Demonstrator" Barlow.

2xTap · 13 · 3799

us Offline 2xTap

• No Life Club
  • Slipjoint Fanatic!
Robeson "Demonstrator" Barlow.
on: March 26, 2011, 11:13:08 PM
Time for a little initial review of a piece I got just recently, and a little history.

Picked this up off of auction about a week ago. It's a 2003 production Robeson Shuredge "Demonstrator" Large Barlow reproduction piece........

Before I get into it's particulars a little history is in order. Robeson Cutlery Company was started by Millard F. Robeson. The first knives to bare his name were made around 1880. From 1880 to around 1890 his cutlery was made in England, and from about 1891 to 1895 they were made in Germany as well. With high tariffs on imports Robeson leased a cutlery works located in New York to start building his own knives domestically in 1896 (this cutlery works would later come to be known as Camillus Cutlery Company!). By 1898 Robeson started his own factory and they began making their own knives.

Due to big companies, foreign competition, and demand for more basic, non-premium cutlery, by 1965 Robeson was struggling. Camillus Cutlery began making the Robeson Brand of knives on contract, and in 1971 the Robeson name and trademarks were sold off to Ontario Knife Company. By 1972 the original Robeson factory closed it doors, and the Camillus built line of Robesons was discontinued in 1977. Since then any and all Robesons have been made by Queen Cutlery (the sister company to Ontario Knife Company).

Anyway, during Robesons heyday (before 1940) they did not use cataloges and the like to advertise their wares, instead they had a sales force of 50 people who would go out and merchandise directly with hardware stores and the like. And along with them went Sales Sample Knives. Between 1911 and 1939 Robeson used a unique tangstamp for these particular knives. It read "ROBESON DEMONSTRATOR".

The knife I got here is a Reproduction of one of these.

It is a Large single blade Barlow pattern built by Queen Cutlery. In the closed position it measures in at exactly 4 15/16"......essentially a 5" Barlow. It's a big'un! It's a short run piece with only 100 made in this variation.....

Production run was in 2003 and it does bare the "ROBESON DEMONSTRATOR" tang stamp......

The large bolsters and the Shuredge shield are made of nickle/silver, liners and pins are of brass, and the big Clip Blade is made of 420HC stainless. Handles are of Red Smooth Bone.....

Fit and finish is excellent. Backspring is quite stout, zero blade play, all exterior metal surfaces are flawlessly mirror polished, backspring sits flush with blade opened or closed, blade grinds are perfect and the edge is evenly honed and quite sharp. The blade itself has a near full length double swedge and sports a long matchstriker pull. The mark side bolster has deep engraved RCC logo, and the overall fit of the knife is virtually gap free........

The only fault I can find anywhere on this beast is on the pile side. The fit between the bolster and the bone on this side is ever so slightly off giving a very faint gap between these two pieces. Outside of that minor issue it's built about as well as slippie can be.

I've been wanting to get this one as I already have it's brother. I picked this one up back in '09. It's a 2002 production Robeson Shuredge "Demonstrator" Large Coke Bottle in Red Smooth Bone.............

2xTap  :2tu:
Knives, Watches, and Flashlights are like Guns......you can never have too many!

us Offline David

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Robeson "Demonstrator" Barlow.
Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 01:42:55 AM
Nice bit of history to go along with a very  8)  Barlow 2xTap.    :tu:    :)
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

ca Offline PyroJames

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 03:07:33 AM
Wow, that's a very nice looking knife!  :tu:
This is called a Swiss Army Knife. Do you know what Switzerland is? Switzerland is a place where they don't like to fight, so they get people to do their fighting for them while they ski and eat chocolate. - Larry David

us Offline 2xTap

• No Life Club
  • Slipjoint Fanatic!
Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 05:03:31 PM
Thanks guys!

2xTap
Knives, Watches, and Flashlights are like Guns......you can never have too many!

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 07:24:32 PM
Does it taste as good as it looks..?  :drool: Don't try to tell me you haven't been licking it.. :pok:  :D

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 07:42:40 PM
Beautiful looking knife there 2x :tu: With those highly polished bolsters, its about impossible to not get a self-portrait when photographing. :D

Coincidentally, I was thinking about Robeson earlier today, when I saw the old Radio Knife listed on eBay. :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/OLD-RARE-ROBESON-TOOL-RADIO-WRENCH-KNFE-ETCH-/200591210306?pt=Collectible_Knives&hash=item2eb42af742

Man, they sure don't give those away!! :o
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline 2xTap

• No Life Club
  • Slipjoint Fanatic!
Reply #6 on: March 28, 2011, 04:21:08 AM
AHB,

Does look like candy, doesn't it!

J-sews,

Yeah, that one is a rare bird and in great shape. Original Robesons can bring a premium. Way more so if their condition is good or better. Especially those of the Pocket-Eze or Mastercraft lines.

2xTap

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: March 28, 2011, 04:49:45 AM
Very nice piece , very interesting history .

Chris

us Offline 2xTap

• No Life Club
  • Slipjoint Fanatic!
Reply #8 on: March 28, 2011, 11:37:04 PM
Very nice piece , very interesting history .

Chris

Thanks bud! And the history I posted is actually just a tidbit, Robeson Cutlery has quite the history. Some notable things are that in 1940 Emerson Case (from the Case Cutlery family) was hired on at Robeson to be the company's general manager, and later became the President of the company. He stayed on with the company until 1965. During the 50's Robeson actually acquired the Kinfolk's brand (originally a Case Cutlery Family brand operated by Jean Case) and up until around the early 60's Kinfolk's marked knives were made by Robeson.

There were many innovations RCC created, some still used to this day. And at their height RCC had produced around 1200 different patterns of knives! The history of the company is a long read but very interesting.

2xTap

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: April 01, 2011, 01:36:11 PM
Ive only just seen this  :think:  :drool:  that is awesome 2xtap  :tu:

us Offline 2xTap

• No Life Club
  • Slipjoint Fanatic!
Reply #10 on: April 02, 2011, 12:02:11 AM
Zed,

Thanks bud. Just wait until you see what I just got today. It's the long lost cousins of the two I showed above! Hope to have pics taken this weekend.

2xTap

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: April 02, 2011, 09:12:32 PM
Zed,

Thanks bud. Just wait until you see what I just got today. It's the long lost cousins of the two I showed above! Hope to have pics taken this weekend.

2xTap

pics now   :ahhh   :ahhh   :ahhh  :D

us Offline 2xTap

• No Life Club
  • Slipjoint Fanatic!
Reply #12 on: April 02, 2011, 09:20:57 PM
Zed,

I just took some a little while ago. Gotta get them downloaded to Imageschack and then I'll get them posted up. Real soon! They are sweet!!!!  :D

2xTap

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%