Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What is this knife?

au Offline Cyclone82

What is this knife?
on: April 01, 2011, 01:32:42 PM
Can anyone tell me more about this knife?
2 blades, tooth pick and tweezers (in handle at bottom)
Markings  -  HY Kaufmann & sons solingen K55K GermanyI would like to get a new one if possible or at least close to it. Don’t really need tweezers or toothpick though
Not sure how old it is.
Thanks for any info

us Offline 2xTap

• No Life Club
  • Slipjoint Fanatic!
Re: What is this knife?
Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 11:40:44 PM
Cyclone82,

The knife itself is a Barlow pattern. A bit different than your average barlow (addition of Toothpick & Tweezers as well as aluminum bolsters) but a Barlow none the less. HY Kaufmann & Sons of Solingen, Germany were started back in 1856 and made knives up until 1995. The K55K and Mercator where trademarks of theirs.

And that's about all I kind find on them. Not sure when your knife was made but as far as finding a new one you'll have to hunt around for a NOS piece. But if it is just the pattern you like there are tons of versions of the Barlow out there now made by numerous manufacturers all over the world. Matter of fact I don't think there is a slipjoint maker out there now that doesn't have a Barlow in their line up.

2xTap
Knives, Watches, and Flashlights are like Guns......you can never have too many!

au Offline Cyclone82

Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 05:58:58 AM
I like the shape and looks of it. I like the black and metal. I dont want wooden or stag handles etc. It seems like good quality as the blades have good snap. The blades were really dirty and stained so i cleaned them up and made them look respectable.

us Offline Smitty44

• No Life Club

au Offline Cyclone82

Reply #4 on: April 02, 2011, 07:11:57 AM
Ohh right. Im really looking for something similar looking with black/metal. Im about to have a look now. Somewhere there was a guy named Jim Parker you had 100's of these NOS Kaufmann knives but hes dead now.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 07:14:54 AM by Cyclone82 »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $36.34
PayPal Fees: $1.66
Net Balance: $34.68
Below Goal: $265.32
Site Currency: USD