Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Victorinox Swiss Army Knife Swisstool SPIRIT ROAD TOUR

Hammer · 26 · 7410

us Offline Hammer

• Guardian of the Swamp
I was browsing one of the Victorinox sites the other day and came across the Victorinox Swiss Army Knife Swisstool SPIRIT ROAD TOUR.

http://www.swissarmy.com/MultiTools/Pages/Product.aspx?category=swisstool&product=53922

Has anyone had any experience with this model?  I'll soon know because I went ahead and bought it! :mail: (still waiting on the mailman)
It looks to me like it has 25 tools on it.  Of course, being a hard core collector, it doesn't matter how good or bad it is, as long as it says Victorinox. :sak:
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 08:15:51 AM by Hammer »
NRA Member
No Regrets!

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Re: Victorinox Swiss Army Knife Swisstool SPIRIT ROAD TOUR
Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, 02:01:00 PM
Yup, you'll love it.  Some pictures in the ''... Black Day" thread, and the ''... Spirit Owner's Thread..."  The handles are special and great, and the pouch is a special and great... and all Spirits are great.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #2 on: April 10, 2011, 04:33:20 PM
One could say you have high spirits about it.  :D

You can't go wrong with this, and speaking from experience, BO Vics are beautiful to behold.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: April 10, 2011, 05:25:14 PM
The combination of black handle scales with polished stainless blades is quite breathtaking :drool:
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: April 10, 2011, 06:53:25 PM
Mmmmmm...... :angel:

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline Blackened Justice

Reply #5 on: April 10, 2011, 10:32:01 PM
Is the black some kind of black oxide coating, or some other type of finish?

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: April 11, 2011, 01:26:58 AM
It's black oxide, but its applied after the metal has been given a mirror polish. The effect looks like a black chrome 8)

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: April 11, 2011, 02:19:31 AM
It's black oxide, but its applied after the metal has been given a mirror polish. The effect looks like a black chrome 8)

Really; Are you sure about that?

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: April 11, 2011, 02:21:40 AM

No I'm not actually. :-\ Sorry, I should have said that was just a guess :-[

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: April 11, 2011, 02:36:01 AM

Hmmm... I'm pretty sure it's not, but I asked someone that should know because it's been a secret for long enough already... ha ha...  I personally think it's one of the more high-tech coating processes, but...  I'll report back.   I do know they make one  :drool:

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: April 11, 2011, 02:49:57 AM
Y'know, I do believe you are correct. :salute: I've got a regular black Spirit here alongside the Road Tour Spirit. The regular black model has a darker, blacker finish to it. My guess is black oxide. The Road Tour model looks "black chrome-ier", like the black DLC finish on the Leatherman Skeletool for example.

Thanks for the correction :salute:

de Offline duder

Reply #11 on: April 11, 2011, 08:57:47 AM
It`s called polyspectral coating; depending on the light it can shine in different colors, from almost silver over grey to black. But I don`t have any further info on how it`s done.

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: April 12, 2011, 03:31:56 AM
Struck out on my first try... but if it's truely polyspectral that eliminates many of the recent coatings... hmmm I might have an idea, but no way to prove it.  Try another person first....

us Offline Hammer

• Guardian of the Swamp
Reply #13 on: April 12, 2011, 09:21:27 AM
The Spirit Road Tour arrived yesterday, and I have'nt had much of a chance to do anything except admire it's fit, feel and finish.  I can say that it is very well made, and all of the tools can be deployed without any struggle.  The pliers are as smooth as any I have ever seen, with absolutely no play in them whatsoever.  I also like the fact that the pouch uses a snap as opposed to velcro.
So far, I like everything I have seen on them. :cheers:
NRA Member
No Regrets!

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #14 on: April 12, 2011, 12:56:20 PM
..... mine just landed .....   :mail: :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

The Spirit Road Tour arrived yesterday, and I have'nt had much of a chance to do anything except admire it's fit, feel and finish.  I can say that it is very well made, and all of the tools can be deployed without any struggle.  The pliers are as smooth as any I have ever seen, with absolutely no play in them whatsoever.  I also like the fact that the pouch uses a snap as opposed to velcro.
So far, I like everything I have seen on them. :cheers:

Everything hammer said +1

I'm astounded by the difference in weight and feel to a Swisstool X, but with all of the capabilities other than a ruler/square. As for the coating, I haven't got the foggiest what it is ... but WOW it is nice. Not sure how long it will stop that way though - this is far too good to be kept in captivity ... it's a user!!! I must be honest I was a little sceptical as to why folks liked the Spirit over it's bigger sibling ... till now that is.

I have just found my favourite multitool ever. These should be compulsory by law!

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: April 13, 2011, 02:29:16 AM

Hmmm... I'm pretty sure it's not, but I asked someone that should know because it's been a secret for long enough already... ha ha...  I personally think it's one of the more high-tech coating processes, but...  I'll report back.   I do know they make one  :drool:
Struck out on my first try... but if it's truely polyspectral that eliminates many of the recent coatings... hmmm I might have an idea, but no way to prove it.  Try another person first....

Bad news... stuck out on my second try... the word 'secret' was mentioned, but I'll take that with a grain of salt right now.  BUT now I'm really wondering... 

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: April 13, 2011, 05:59:18 PM
I'm not sure it is polyspectral. It just seems to have such a really high sheen to it that it pick up other colours around it to an extent and also the grease off your hands fingerprints etc gives a rainbow (oil on water) effect. So much so, I'm not entirely sure I know what colour they are beyond dark and shiny - but I am positive the colour is consistent

us Offline Hammer

• Guardian of the Swamp
Reply #17 on: April 14, 2011, 09:05:50 AM
I did a little research on the black handles on the Spirit Road Tour, and according to information found here  http://scyzoryki.net/en/product/view?id=3607841   the handles are made of anthracite, which is a high carbon mineral.  More info about anthracite here   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthracite
NRA Member
No Regrets!

nz Offline HawkeyX

Reply #18 on: April 14, 2011, 09:25:14 AM
I'd think more their colour is called anthracite than they are made/coated in it (being its coal basically).
Could it not just be a polished black oxide? (I have not seen in person, only in photos)

us Offline Hammer

• Guardian of the Swamp
Reply #19 on: April 14, 2011, 09:45:35 AM
I'd think more their colour is called anthracite than they are made/coated in it (being its coal basically).
Could it not just be a polished black oxide? (I have not seen in person, only in photos)

I think you're right.  After a little more reading I can't find anything about anthracite being used for anything other than a type of fuel.
NRA Member
No Regrets!

de Offline duder

Reply #20 on: April 14, 2011, 09:52:28 AM
All I know is that Victorinox calls it polyspectral coating and it`s different from black oxide coating. That`s the only info I have from Victorinox.

us Offline Hammer

• Guardian of the Swamp
Reply #21 on: April 14, 2011, 10:00:56 AM
All I know is that Victorinox calls it polyspectral coating and it`s different from black oxide coating. That`s the only info I have from Victorinox.

:tu:Yep... that's what I'm going with.
NRA Member
No Regrets!

nz Offline HawkeyX

Reply #22 on: April 14, 2011, 10:52:15 AM
I cant even find any reference on any victorinox sites etc, however, fyi's polyspectral:

'Based on an electro-chemical treatment "Poly-Spectral" stainless steel depicts a coloured surface without pigmented coatings. Instead...covered with a thin, transparent, and chemically resistant layer of Chromium-Oxide. Its impression of colour is determined by the thickness of the layer and the viewing angle of the beholder. Variations in colour are generated by optical interference of light reflected from the surface.'

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: April 14, 2011, 02:01:01 PM

If it is officially polyspectral that's good enough for me  :tu: I just thought it was the sheen  :-[
It's still  :drool: though either way

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: April 14, 2011, 04:57:34 PM
I did a little research on the black handles on the Spirit Road Tour, and according to information found here  http://scyzoryki.net/en/product/view?id=3607841   the handles are made of anthracite, which is a high carbon mineral.  More info about anthracite here   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthracite
I believe Victorinox is just using Anthracite to simply indicate the color, not the material; however carbon/carbon-like may play a role.

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #25 on: April 14, 2011, 06:08:19 PM
I believe Victorinox is just using Anthracite to simply indicate the color, not the material; however carbon/carbon-like may play a role.

Sounds reasonable (unless someone believes emerald scales are made of emerald, or onyx scales are made of onyx, etc.... :P)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD
24%