Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Put our money where our mouths are

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Put our money where our mouths are
on: November 13, 2007, 01:18:13 AM
In another topic some members were displeased about how a multi multi showdown was somewhat disappointing to them:

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,2727.0.html

So, here's your chance to contribute to the real Multi Multi Showdown!

What 5 tools would you like to see tested head to head, and what 5 jobs do you think they should be rated on?  In a week or so when everyone has their say I'll put my head together with any members willing to help, and we'll try and hammer out a TV worthy showdown. 

Give it your best shot, and try to keep it to current issue tools so I don't have to risk one of my preciousssssss....

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Re: Put our money where our mouths are
Reply #1 on: November 13, 2007, 02:56:02 AM
5 Tools:

SOG Powerlock

Leatherman Charge or Wave

Swisstool

CRKT Zilla tool.

Gerber Freehand.

Testing Scenarios.

Construct a survival shelter from a tarp, Twine, wood, and anything else available.  This will test the sawing, outdoor cutting, and other parts of the tool.  Take times of how long it took with the tools to accomplish this task.  Note how well the edge held on the blade, other things like that.  This could also be done easier by cutting various mediums.  PVC pipe, Green Hardwood, Seasoned Hardwood, Metal (with the file of course), Manilla rope, Ballistic Gelatin, Plant material, Wire of different gauges, Rubber, Hard and Soft Plastic. 

Wrap them in a towel and drive over them with an SUV or Truck.  IF a Glock pistol can survive this and function I would be willing to bet a good multitool would. 

Corrosion resistance.  Expose the tools to a variety of Solvents, chemicals, salt water, Mountain Dew, anything goes. 

Take apart a Mechanical device and out it back together this would test the drivers and other things like that. 

Grit test.  Put the tools in a sandbox cover it with dirt, river mud, anything and rate how well the tools function after that.  Also you could clean them up and see how well they clean up. 

I'll let you know if I come up with anything else.

Oh, yeah, throw a chinese knockoff in there to see how that works out.

Offline Viper

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007, 03:28:18 AM
The primary tools of each main manufacturer-

Powerlock (SOG)
SwissTool (Victorinox)
SwissGrip/Ranger (Wenger)
Wave (Leatherman)
MP600 or Freehand (Gerber)

I like CQC's idea for testing. Also put something in there about ease of carry (i.e., if it is bulky, heavy, falls out of pouch, pouch strength, etc.)
[

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #3 on: November 13, 2007, 04:23:37 AM
The pouch test would be cool.  Throw em in water, in the dryer, pull on them, belt them to a tree and give them a good tug. Thread a clothsline through the loop with the tool inside of course and whip the line every which way and see if all the pouches hold the tool.   

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #4 on: November 13, 2007, 06:42:52 AM
Hmm... I'm thinking it should only be 4 tools (the heavy duty ones)

Powerlock
Surge
Swisstool
MP600

...and I'm thinking there should be a talent contest, and a swimsuit competition, and an essay portion...
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: November 13, 2007, 12:40:41 PM
I don't think the MP600 qualifies as a heavy duty tool?  I always put it in the regular category, with the MP800 being the big one.

Good ideas so far!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #6 on: November 13, 2007, 05:58:23 PM
I am trying to develop a methodology for testing

I.)  Blade test: 

Cut various mediums to test the cutting and penetrating characteristics of 5 different multitool blades. 

Test materials:

Cardboard, Manilla Rope, Green and Seasoned hardwood, and leather.

Testing:

Cutting:
Cut the same amount of cardboard, Manilla Rope, and wood and note the performance of the blade.  How much cutting can the blade do before it would
require sharpening.  A good measure for when this would be is when the balde would no longer shave the hair off of your arm.  Start with X ammount of each medium and cut it then test the sharpness.  Do the same with each blade in cycles and then note your results.

penetration:
Do the "cold steel test" and stab a stack of leather sheets and note the depth of penetration for each blade.

II.)  Saw test:

Test the saw blades of the multitools on different materials.

Test materials:

1" Hardwood dowels, 2" PVC pipe, and Treated 2"X4"s

Testing:

Cut the materials and note the time that it takes each multitool to cut through each medium.  (I know that this is a primative test and may not be all that accurate but I really cannot think of any other way to test the sawing capabilities other than to count the # of passes it takes to cut through the material)  Note if you experience any problems cutting through the material, if the saw goes dull, etc.

III.)  Torture test:

Expose the tools to punnishment to test the tools resistance to punnishment.

Test Materials:

1 automobile, bath towel, sand, wet river silt, soil, plastic tub.

Testing:)

Part 1.

Fold a towel over the tool and drive over it with an automobile.  Park the vehicle with one of the tires resting on the tool.  Leave it for an hour.  Move the car and operate all functions of the tool and note any undesirable or desirable results.

Part 2.

In a plastic tub add some sand and the tool.  Toss it around, add the river silt and toss again add some soil common to the area and toss it again and make sure that the tool is really covered and caked with the dirt mixture.  Remove the tool and note if there are any problems in the operation of any of the tools functions.  Hose the tool off after removing the tool and testing it for function.  Note if the tool functions any better after being sprayed off.

IV.) Corrosion Resistance:

Test Materials:

Salt water, piece of Carbon steel as a control.

Testing:)

Spray the tools and piece of steel with chemical degreaser and make sure there are no rust inhibiting materials on the tools.  Mix 1 large batch of salt water to be sure that your test agent is consistent.   Immerse the carbon steel in salt water and note the ammount of time it takes for rust to develop over the entire piece of steel. This will serve as a control from which to judge the tools.  Immerse the tools in seperate containers and add salt water.  Keep the tools immersed for the same ammount of time that the carbon steel was immersed.  Note the ammount of corrosion present on the tools in an "estimated percentage" of surface area showing signs of corrosion.

V:)  Sheath test:

Test Materials:

Clothesline, multitools and their sheaths.

Testing:

Part 1

Place the Multitools in their respective sheaths.  Thread the clothline through the sheaths belt loop.  Swing the clothline back and forth, up and down, any which way for a predetermined amount of time.  Note if the multitool sheath lets the tool go. 

Part 2

Soak the sheaths in water and then throw them into a laundry dryer for a predetermined ammount of time.  Note if there is any wear or signs of weakness present on the sheath.

Part 3

Take the sheaths fresh from part 2 and repeat part 1 and note any undesireable results.

Wow, that was long, hope that I did not bore you all. :)

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #7 on: November 13, 2007, 07:31:21 PM
I don't think the MP600 qualifies as a heavy duty tool?  I always put it in the regular category, with the MP800 being the big one.

Good ideas so far!

Def

Go with the 800 then :)  (I don't know much about Gerbers...)
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #8 on: November 13, 2007, 07:45:23 PM
LM Charge or Wave
LM Core
Sog Powerlock
Vic Swisstool
Gerber Freehand

As much as I'd like to see it I dont think a test to destruction would be a good idea I.e driven over by a truck , dropped from a great height and baked to a 1000 degrees  :o  But proper sawing , cutting ,screwing , gripping etc. would be a great idea . If there were enough tests and each tool had identical tests to the others then I'm sure a clear winner would emerge .
  Def this is a great Idea and if we all really think about it and do it right I think it could end up being the best test out there .But where are you going to get 5 high end multi's from ? The problem is if the test is going to be any good and represent real usage then one or more of the tools could fail or break  :o

Ok sign up here if you want to lend Def your tool  :twak:

Dunc

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: November 13, 2007, 08:08:05 PM
That's what I'm afraid of... but I am hoping warranty service will be good to me! :D

Def

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #10 on: November 13, 2007, 08:19:52 PM
I think we should go for it  :multi:

Dunc

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: November 13, 2007, 08:26:21 PM
I'm looking forward to it.  I doubt I'll push anything to the breaking point.  Anything can be broken if that's what you really want to do, but that won't be the ultimate goal.

It should be lots of fun- now everyone call your local TV stations and lets see if we can sell the show to a network! :D

Def

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #12 on: November 13, 2007, 10:21:33 PM
I doubt that we could sell the results to a TV station but I'd be willing to bet that we could easily sell it to any number of great knife or tool magazines.  Popular Mechanics might want to get in on this action.  Perhaps someone could contact them and they may be willing to foot the bill for the tools to be used in the test.  I mean how much can 5 high end multitools cost? :)  I seriously doubt that the truch torture test would break a multitool.  A glock pistol has a plastic frame and it went through these tests and still cycled reliably.  A pistol is far more complex and is more tempermental to any fit or finish problems much much much more so than any multitool.  At least I would think or uh, I hope ???.

Offline Viper

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: November 13, 2007, 11:52:20 PM

It's Gerbers base tool though, and you never specified heavy duty.
[

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #14 on: November 14, 2007, 12:12:57 AM

It's Gerbers base tool though, and you never specified heavy duty.

No, but 665ae did....................

Hmm... I'm thinking it should only be 4 tools (the heavy duty ones)

I'm back!!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: November 14, 2007, 12:17:35 AM
How much?  Rough estimate....

SwissTool= $60-70
PowerLock= $60-70
Core= $60-70
MP800= $70-80
SwissGrip= $100

That's a fair bit of change- fortunately I have most of the tools already, I just need a large Gerber to round out the mix.  Anyone got an MP800 or a Freehand they'd be willing to donate?   >:D

I could always start with the keychain tools...

Def

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #16 on: November 14, 2007, 12:21:59 AM
If I had the Gerber that you want I would send it to you.  Unfortunately I only have the Multiplier.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #17 on: November 14, 2007, 12:24:05 AM
That's ok- it's an excuse to get another tool!

Def

Offline cryptrick

Reply #18 on: November 14, 2007, 12:29:05 AM
Got to this post a bit late, but I'll give my list of 5 tools that I would like to see tested:

LM Charge
Powerlock
Swisstool
Gerber 800 (only fair as it was poorly done on the show and I wanna see what it can do)
Vic Spirit (It has a different blade, scissors and plier head to the Swisstool)
[

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #19 on: November 14, 2007, 12:35:40 AM
Got to this post a bit late, but I'll give my list of 5 tools that I would like to see tested:

LM Charge
Powerlock
Swisstool
Gerber 800 (only fair as it was poorly done on the show and I wanna see what it can do)

I agree with cryptrick, but instead of the spirit I'd like to see a cheap knock off in there as a comparison.
I'm back!!

Offline cryptrick

Reply #20 on: November 14, 2007, 12:40:10 AM

LM Charge
Powerlock
Swisstool

I agree with cryptrick, but instead of the spirit I'd like to see a cheap knock off in there as a comparison.

Actually, thats a quite a good idea. You'd then see how big the difference is between the big boys and the cheap 'n' nasty ones  :D

Def will probably want 5 main tools as he's the big bad boss  >:D ;)  but he should give a knock off one a go at the end  :P
[

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #21 on: November 14, 2007, 12:42:03 AM
I have a couple of knockoffs that I can throw into the mix.  That part at least won't be a problem! :D

Def

Offline cryptrick

Reply #22 on: November 14, 2007, 12:43:51 AM
I have a couple of knockoffs that I can throw into the mix.  That part at least won't be a problem! :D

Def

Nice one  :D

Are you actually going to film it, or will it be one of these reviews with still pictures in?
[

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #23 on: November 14, 2007, 01:00:06 AM
Only a couple tests I would love to see.
1) How much force on gripping before tool fails.
2) solvents . Especially Muriatic acid and salt water.(actually it is Muriatic I am most interested in I go through a ton at work)
3) Most efficiant on the gripping
4) cutting in all other impliments. Saw and blades.
S

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #24 on: November 14, 2007, 01:01:29 AM
I'm thinking video, provided that YouTube doesn't mind me taking up a little more space there! :D

Any of our musically inclined members want to slap together a short theme song so I don't have to keep stealing copyrighted music? :D

Def

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #25 on: November 14, 2007, 01:02:31 AM
I would like to see a knockoff get destroyed while the good tools keep on going.

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #26 on: November 14, 2007, 01:03:28 AM
Might I suggest "let the bodies hit the floor" by drowning pool. >:D >:D >:D :)

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #27 on: November 14, 2007, 02:54:27 AM
Lets do the big boy tools!

Core
Surge
Powerlock
Swisstool
Freehand
B

us Offline NeitherExtreme

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #28 on: November 14, 2007, 03:46:56 AM
Lets do the big boy tools!

Core
Surge
Powerlock
Swisstool
Freehand

That sounds like a perfect list to me too. :) Limiting to 5 tools is understandable, so it makes sense to me to go with a theme.

Edit: Also, (not to be biased, or at least not trying to be :P ), I think LM deserves two tools. One Wave style and one inside opening style. They're so different, and I would guess (though I'm not sure) that either one style outsells (at least in USA) any of the others that they'd  be matched up against.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 03:52:58 AM by NeitherExtreme »

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #29 on: November 14, 2007, 03:52:39 AM
Only a couple tests I would love to see.
1) How much force on gripping before tool fails.
2) solvents . Especially Muriatic acid and salt water.(actually it is Muriatic I am most interested in I go through a ton at work)
3) Most efficiant on the gripping
4) cutting in all other impliments. Saw and blades.

I know that it would be easy to measure the force required to make the tool fail.  However, Most efficient gripping would be tough to measure.  That is assuming that you are thinking of the ratio of force applied to the tool relative to the force applied by the tool.  It would not be hard to get measure the force applied to the tool.  However, it would be difficult (without some specialized equipment) to get the force applied by the tool.  Your results would definately vary with the tools.  Small variations in jaw design would yield some interesting results.  Basically whatever tools have the longest handle/thinnest jaw ratio will have the highest psi grip and therefor be the most efficient but that does not necessarily make them the best tool in practice.  Some jaw designs just grip screws, nuts, bolts, etc, better.  Then again, if this test is carried out I am interested if the SOG because of its compound leverage will actually be any better than the swisstool, or whatever else is used.  

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%