Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Who would like a "tool-steel" MT?

us Offline NeitherExtreme

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Who would like a "tool-steel" MT?
on: November 15, 2007, 04:27:26 AM
Just wondering if anyone else would like to see a MT made out of tool steel instead of stainless? I personally think that a lot of standard tools use steels that are much better use-wise than anything that can be made from stainless. So my idea is a tool with at least the implements/pliers made from the same steels as regular top-quality tools. I think this would make an abusable and long-lasting tool! :)

Maybe they could make the handles stainless to keep it pocket friendly? Slipjoints have been made out of carbon steel, so I don't think it would ruin the EDC potential as long as the owner was willing to care for it.

Also, in a different direction: a tool like this could likely find its home on a tool belt. So maybe it could be super-sized beyond even the Surge/Freehand/Swisstool type since tool belts can support heavy tools. That way it could have bigger pliers, saw, screwdrivers, etc.

Anyway, whay do you think?

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Re: Who would like a "tool-steel" MT?
Reply #1 on: November 15, 2007, 05:16:34 AM
 What you're thinking has merit,after all the bits used by Leatherman are tool steel.So why couldn't bigger components be made of tool steel? The SOG product line would make an excellent chassis for an aftermarket manufacturer to come out with tools that could be swapped out with the factory offerings.If that went over well,maybe tool steel pliers would follow from a multi-tool maker.
I

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #2 on: November 15, 2007, 05:31:24 AM
That's good thinking... And with a take-apart design it would be easy to clean up the tool if it ever got wet or corroded. :)

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #3 on: November 15, 2007, 05:38:22 AM
Definately a great idea.  I wish that more companies would do a lot of the stuff that all of us think about.  A lot of it is bound to catch on.

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #4 on: November 20, 2007, 03:26:34 AM
Definately a great idea.  I wish that more companies would do a lot of the stuff that all of us think about.  A lot of it is bound to catch on.
Thanks. :) I'd be happy if it does...
Anyone else have thoughts (yea or nay) on the tool-steel-tool? (What a name!)

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #5 on: November 20, 2007, 03:59:22 AM
I haven't had any problems with the regular stainless steel tools I own as a whole, but things like driver heads made of tool steel would be a bonus.
[

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #6 on: November 20, 2007, 04:01:41 AM
Tool steels tend to be less rust/corrosion resistant.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #7 on: November 20, 2007, 04:05:41 AM
Tool steels tend to be less rust/corrosion resistant.
Yeah, that's definetely a trade-off.

I haven't had any problems with the regular stainless steel tools I own as a whole, but things like driver heads made of tool steel would be a bonus.
I can't say I've had any "problems" either, so I guess it's not a complaint at all. But I do know that I treat my MTs different than other tools. Driver heads like you mentioned are probably the biggest one for me, with wire cutters a close second. I don't give a second thought about using them hard on regular tools, but do tend to "baby" my MTs a bit. ::) If you've ever used stainless screwdrivers (usually cheapies) and quality drivers, you'll know how much longer the quality ones will last. Same goes for wire cutters too IMO.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 04:07:39 AM by NeitherExtreme »

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #8 on: November 20, 2007, 04:30:24 AM
If you work in wet conditions or around salt water tool steel wold not be a good choice.  Now, having said that, the point of carrying a multitool is to have it at all times and being ready for anything.  If you constantly have to worry about keeping it rust free you'd just opt for another material.  Black oxide coating would work wonders for such a tool.  but there would be a problem at contact points where it would wear away and make the tool loose in the beginning and rusty after a while.  If they made a tool steel tool, I'd definately buy one just to see how well it worked for me.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #9 on: November 20, 2007, 07:58:23 AM
I don't think I'd buy a tool like that, for me a multi is often carried but infrequently used (maybe 5 ish times a day) so I want something low maintanance :), if I had to worry about making sure it was bone dry and oiled at all times, I'd end up leaving it at home and taking a hassel free Vic or Wenger instead :)

Where bit's are concerned though I'm all for it, just not the tool itself :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline jock1

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: November 20, 2007, 10:59:04 AM
Got to agree with Mick I prefer the low maintenance factor for the tool itself tool steel just wouldn't be an option for me

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #11 on: November 21, 2007, 02:05:51 AM
I don't think I'd buy a tool like that, for me a multi is often carried but infrequently used (maybe 5 ish times a day) so I want something low maintanance :), if I had to worry about making sure it was bone dry and oiled at all times, I'd end up leaving it at home and taking a hassel free Vic or Wenger instead :)
I hear what you're saying, and I agree that for the average user you're probably right. :) I partly have in mind though a tool that might be more geared for a heavy user like a construction worker who might use it all day every day like a "normal" tool. IMO, most (even top quality) MTs available might not be ready for 9-hour-a-day, 5-or-6-day-a-week use.

If you work in wet conditions or around salt water tool steel wold not be a good choice.  Now, having said that, the point of carrying a multitool is to have it at all times and being ready for anything.  If you constantly have to worry about keeping it rust free you'd just opt for another material. 
I agree that it would be hard (or pretty near imossible :P ) to keep a tool like that looking shiny and new like we expect most of our MTs to. But to me use-oriented tools don't loose anything (accept maybe pocketability) by getting that darker patina-with-a little-rust look and feel. If you take a peek at my (or almost any) toolbelt, you won't really find any bright and shiny tools there, but that's not a problem because they are designed to be that way. I guess I could appreciate a MT that looked toolish and not worry about keeping it perfect. It would get a patina that would protect against real rust, and if at any point it got tight anywhere I'd just spray if full of WD-40 and go on like nothing happened the same way I treat the rest of my tools. :D

PS. Thanks all for the conversation. I guessed it wouldn't be most people "cup-o-tea", but its an idea that had been floating around in my mind and wanted to hear some feedback. :)

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #12 on: November 21, 2007, 02:17:28 AM
I'm looking at several pair of ordinary pliers in my garage toolbox. Needlenose, slip-joint, electrician's, etc. They are all made from regular steel, not stainless. Every one has a patina on them from being out in my garage all year long. The stained look doesn't bother me; they're all tools for cripe's sake!

And yet a stained multitool on my belt would bother me. :( How vain is that?
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline SoDak

Reply #13 on: November 21, 2007, 02:44:41 AM
       I like the sound of a tool steel multitool. Then I'd finally have the screwdrivers I've always wanted. As for rusting, heck have it parkerized or use the finish they put on glocks(I thinks it tenifer or something). Just don't coat areas like the tips of a screwdriver, the knifeblade's edge, and maybe the wirecutters, and I'd bet it would be fine.
       One final note, does anyone know if SOG uses tool steel on the powerlock's philips. I always wondered if they used something different than stainless because it's a differeent color and doesn't seem to round off as easy as a stainless screwdriver.

Offline Mike D

Reply #14 on: November 21, 2007, 05:01:00 AM
       I like the sound of a tool steel multitool. Then I'd finally have the screwdrivers I've always wanted. As for rusting, heck have it parkerized or use the finish they put on glocks(I thinks it tenifer or something). Just don't coat areas like the tips of a screwdriver, the knifeblade's edge, and maybe the wirecutters, and I'd bet it would be fine.
       One final note, does anyone know if SOG uses tool steel on the powerlock's philips. I always wondered if they used something different than stainless because it's a differeent color and doesn't seem to round off as easy as a stainless screwdriver.

Thats a good question about the philips head I have often wondered tha same thing.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #15 on: November 22, 2007, 02:58:45 AM

Yah good question. I've seen that same look on the SOG file blades.

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #16 on: November 22, 2007, 03:06:49 AM
You know, I was looking at my powerlock the other day and I was wondering why the philips driver was a diff. color. I suppose you are right with the tool steel!
B

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $36.34
PayPal Fees: $1.66
Net Balance: $34.68
Below Goal: $265.32
Site Currency: USD