Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New Inova dual level LED flashlights, X1, X5, X2, etc.

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Inova is making new versions of their LED flashlights dual level.  Included are the 1AA Inova X1 with 55/6 lumen levels, the 2xCR123A X5 has 31/6 lumen levels (with super long runtimes), the 2AA X2 and others.   :tu:

Check out the Inova Light web site for details.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 06:15:19 AM by parnass »
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Re: New Inova dual level LED flashlights, X1, X5, X2, etc.
Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 06:13:33 AM
They sound like sensible, well thought out light's :tu:
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline ari6126

• No Life Club
  • Colors!
Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 06:16:01 AM
I don't really understand the UI. Looks interesting though.

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 01:41:00 PM

I'm guessing that twisting the tailcap powers the light on and subsequent twists switches between brightness levels.   Wish Inova would make an X1 variant with a forward clicky switch and aggressive knurling.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 04:23:31 PM
Looks cool.  I'm more excited about the fact that a multi-mode light will be available in brick and mortar stores for the masses (I'm thinking of Target).  Hopefully this will start a trend.
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 06:23:47 PM
Cool , I've always had good luck with their stuff . Will check one out ASAP .

Chris

us Offline David

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #6 on: April 27, 2011, 06:45:23 PM
Thanks for the intel!
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: April 27, 2011, 07:47:14 PM
Good to see them making a significant upgrade to their line. :tu:  I remember when I first starting looking at lights a few years back and Inova were one of the 'must have' brands of light, however they didn't ever seem to keep up with the rest and quickly felt outdated.  If I can find an X1 for a good price I'd certainly be tempted to pick one up. :)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gb Offline Millhouse

• No Life Club
  • This isn't me, but I'm just as dysfunctional
Reply #8 on: April 30, 2011, 12:19:15 AM
I had an original X1. Very, very solid light with great anodizing. Lost mine through a leaking battery. Totally trashed the light.
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: April 30, 2011, 02:37:19 AM

I'm guessing that twisting the tailcap powers the light on and subsequent twists switches between brightness levels.   Wish Inova would make an X1 variant with a forward clicky switch and aggressive knurling.

Nope.  On/Off click at the tailcap changes the light level.  Staying on high for less than a second before a switch puts it in to strobe instead of low mode.

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #10 on: April 30, 2011, 03:28:55 AM
Nope.  On/Off click at the tailcap changes the light level.  Staying on high for less than a second before a switch puts it in to strobe instead of low mode.

I wasn't aware that the X series now has clickie switches.  That was a feature of the T series.  Which X series lights have the strobe?   The Inova web site does not list a strobe feature for the X series.

Please clarify.  Thanks.

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: April 30, 2011, 06:20:37 AM

I wasn't aware that the X series now has clickie switches.  That was a feature of the T series.  Which X series lights have the strobe?   The Inova web site does not list a strobe feature for the X series.

Please clarify.  Thanks.

Ugh, stupid me.  Disregard, wrong series.

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #12 on: May 14, 2011, 01:38:59 AM

I purchased a new, 55/6 lumen X1 directly from Nite Ize (Inova) and it arrived today.

Comparing it with my 25 lumen X1, the new X1 is considerably brighter, has a larger hot spot and a warmer tint.  High and low brightness levels are selected by successive pushes (or tailcap twists).  High brightness is the first mode, which is what I need.

I powered both using Energizer lithium primary batteries.

The two versions have an identical physical appearance except for the slightly smaller LED emitter in the new 55/6 lumen light.  Both employ orange peel reflectors.

The name INOVA is imprinted on the rubber switch boot of both flashlights.

Will have to wait until dark to perform further testing.

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: May 14, 2011, 05:57:22 AM
This does sound interesting.  I have a couple single mode so called 25lm X1, I don't know where they are right now... I liked the silver one I had, but I think they would just out done by other lights.  good tough lights to give as gifts though.  A 2 mode X1 would be perfect for gifting I think.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #14 on: May 14, 2011, 09:17:58 AM
Thanks for the thoughts Parnass. :tu:  An X1 has just made it onto my increasingly massive mental wish list. ::)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #15 on: May 14, 2011, 01:48:33 PM
I can see one in my future too :tu:
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #16 on: May 15, 2011, 12:11:48 AM
Here are more observations about the new, 55/6 lumen Inova X1.

Current consumption from an Energizer lithium primary battery:

Code: [Select]
840 mA at 55 lumen setting
132 mA at  6 lumen setting

My older 25 lumen X1 drew 515 mA from the same battery.

Runtime test using a freshly charged 2000 mAH (nominal) Duracell low self discharge NiMH battery:

at 2h 20m: The new X1's brightness has decreased to the level of a 25 lumen X1.  It dimmed quickly after this.

at 2h 30m: The X1's brightness is now the same on both high and low settings.

The flashlight remained cool to the touch during the runtime test.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 12:54:57 AM by parnass »

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: May 16, 2011, 12:04:04 AM
Those are phenomenally high current draws for that kind of output.  In fact, that's pretty terrible.

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #18 on: May 16, 2011, 02:37:00 AM
Those are phenomenally high current draws for that kind of output.  In fact, that's pretty terrible.

To place this in context, the X1 is a $20 flashlight.  It isn't the most efficient light, but neither is it the worst.

The runtime and output ratings are better for the X1 (55 lumens/105 minutes) than for the Streamlight ProTac 1AA (50 lumens/105 minutes).  The runtime difference at the 6 lumen level is even greater (40 hours X1 vs. 22 hours ProTac 1AA).

Each new version X1 is more efficient than its predecessor.  The new X1 draws less current per lumen than the prior generation 25 lumen X1 (515 mA) and the 2 watt X1 (670 mA) before that.

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: May 16, 2011, 03:57:43 AM

To place this in context, the X1 is a $20 flashlight.  It isn't the most efficient light, but neither is it the worst.

The runtime and output ratings are better for the X1 (55 lumens/105 minutes) than for the Streamlight ProTac 1AA (50 lumens/105 minutes).  The runtime difference at the 6 lumen level is even greater (40 hours X1 vs. 22 hours ProTac 1AA).

Each new version X1 is more efficient than its predecessor.  The new X1 draws less current per lumen than the prior generation 25 lumen X1 (515 mA) and the 2 watt X1 (670 mA) before that.

The ITP A2 can be had for $2 more and it absolutely destroys those numbers.  Or the Nextorch K2.  The Tenergy T70 can be had for $20 flat and it's got a clicky as well.  Or the Mr Lite J2 (current OEM for the Countycomm Extreme AA flashlight).

Sorry, 3 years ago those numbers and runtimes would've been impressive.  These days they're just "quaint".

gb Offline ryan1835

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • buh
Reply #20 on: May 16, 2011, 10:46:51 PM
Thanks for the thoughts Parnass. :tu:  An X1 has just made it onto my increasingly massive mental wish list. ::)

dont write it out for christ sakes!   :D

i think someone needs to invent never ending rolls of paper for such lists
I

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: May 18, 2011, 11:39:31 PM

The ITP A2 can be had for $2 more and it absolutely destroys those numbers.  Or the Nextorch K2.  The Tenergy T70 can be had for $20 flat and it's got a clicky as well.  Or the Mr Lite J2 (current OEM for the Countycomm Extreme AA flashlight).

Sorry, 3 years ago those numbers and runtimes would've been impressive.  These days they're just "quaint".

While I don't disagree, I think once the numbers are reasonable other factors can be considered.  Some people don't like the really small lights, the X1 is known to be very robust in the past (hopefully still is), switching is pretty straight forward.  It can be obtained and several stores off the shelf.  It's not a flashaholic's dream light, but it sounds like a pretty decent light at a fair price.

The Maratac AA I never felt it switched modes reliably... I loved the AAA versions, but for AA I just thought they missed the boat.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD
24%