Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Atwoods

au Offline Cyclone82

Atwoods
on: May 02, 2011, 01:43:01 PM
Ok im new to these things and dont know much about them but i think i want a couple or maybe from another brand if the quality is good (i wont buy junk)

I dont really know what are the good steels as it appears he makes them in several types? Generally i would say im after strenth and durability versus light weight and good looks.

With some of the Atwoods, they have little square cut outs. Do regular 1/4 drive extensions with the square bit with the little ball bearing clip into these? Not sure what this would enable doing, but it was a thought :-\

What are the Atwoods that have metric sized hex wrenches?

Basically i think i want a Atwood that has 1/4 hex to drive a 'bit' and possibly holds the bit in the tool with o-rings plus i want an atwood with metric wrench. I would also like a pry bar on both or at least one.

I was going to get the ones that County Comm sell but i figgure an Atwood with more functions would be better.

Also is there a current list of Atwoods that are actually available? It seems everyone i go to look at that im interested in is sold out ???
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 03:11:09 PM by Cyclone82 »

us Offline ari6126

• No Life Club
  • Colors!
Re: Atwoods
Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 04:38:00 PM
Atwood doesn't have a stock of tools. You either have to catch him at just the right time to get one, or buy one on the secondary market. You might be waiting a long time, maybe forever for Atwood to make the tool you want. On the forums and eBay, Atwoods range from expensive to super expensive. Whether they are worth it is opinion. The moral of the story is getting an Atwood is going to be harder than picking up something from Amazon.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 04:42:10 PM
This ^ is true.

They are very good quality however.  There are other one piece tools out there.  For good and inexpensive, the PocketWrench II is a very nice bit of kit.  Raker Ring tools are fantastic for what they are:  Cutting hook, standard driver and 1/4 driver (some versions).  JDR (<-link) makes very nice tools too, but again, not cheap!

au Offline Cyclone82

Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 10:02:45 AM
Ok I can sort of see this is gonna be a problem. I did email him but he doesnt really have much at all. Just sent me pics of 2 that were not really what im after which is metric sizes. I wouldn't mind funnybone but my impression is thats an old design and if he does not have anything made one or 2 months ago, there is no way he would have anything made years ago. I dont really have a problem paying the $65 he asks for these tools which i do think is a bit expensive if he is using CNC, but if the quality is good then thats not so bad. I think it sounds like they are impossible to get though, i can be watching his blog 24-7 for newly listed ones. I know a guy who could make the same tools and they would cost probably half that price or less. He can just set it up the programming and it will just pump out how ever many you want and the bigger the quantity the cheaper they are, yes i realize there is hardening after etc. But im not about to go out and do that, thats not the point to then go out and 'copy' and make the same product cheaper. I would miuch rather see Atwoods just do do bigger runs to give the average guy a chance to get one and not sell out within days.

Ok well this has set me back a bit now :(. What alternatives to Atwoods are there?... ok just see a few listed above. Have they got websites?

us Offline Gadget Guy

• No Life Club
  • <*();::::::::;~
Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011, 10:39:23 AM
Atwoods are CNC'd and hand finished and that's what makes them special. I've bought hundreds of different pocket tools and nothing compares to the quality of an Atwood tool.  :tu:  With that being said, the Pocketwrench tool is a fantastic tool for the money. I've had one for several years and they are awesome. They fit nicely in a Leatherman sheath and they are really tough.

I also love all of the Raker tools. I don't know how Ray makes such a great tool for what he charges.   :think:   :D
Sometimes change is a good thing, other times not so much!

au Offline Cyclone82

Reply #5 on: May 07, 2011, 02:37:52 PM
Is the pocket wrench you are talking about?

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: May 07, 2011, 02:40:08 PM
Yes :)

au Offline Cyclone82

Reply #7 on: May 08, 2011, 01:43:33 PM
How thick it is? It looks thin in the photo. And what about the spanner notches. They look small and there doesnt seem like much contact on the nut. Are these for metric nuts?

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: May 08, 2011, 02:07:21 PM
How thick it is? It looks thin in the photo. And what about the spanner notches. They look small and there doesnt seem like much contact on the nut. Are these for metric nuts?

They are thinner than an Atwood, but probably 1/8 inch thick (2-3mm).

The wrench is "universal". Unlike an Atwood, where the teeth go on the sides of the hex for a tight fit, the PocketWrench teeth "bite" into the side of the nut for grip. 

That's why I say, the PocketWrench works great, but will mar the finish on the nut.  Definitely not preferred for trim nuts.

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: May 08, 2011, 02:19:37 PM

Mr W beat me too it  ::)

I have one and they are a great tool  :tu:

It looks like 3mm to me but my eyes might deceive me (10cm or 4'' long)

As said above  :tu:
They are better at holding a nut as you turn the bolt kind of thing if that makes any sense, the notches are a bit like teeth so will hold metric or imperial
(I wouldn't use it on its own for undoing bolts except in an emergency)

The end works very well as a pry bar to open paint cans ect  :tu:
Everything’s adjustable

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #10 on: May 11, 2011, 05:29:43 PM
I suggest a pocket wrench or raker.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!