Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The Quirky Switch

Chako · 39 · 8186

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
The Quirky Switch
on: May 31, 2011, 03:10:35 AM
Well, as some of you may well know, I am attracted to weird and wacky tools. There have been a few threads already posted about this wacky tool, some going way back to when it was first announced prior to manufacturing. A more recent thread warned me it was now available at one of my favorite online stores...ThinkGeek.

I just had to have it.

So here are my general thoughts and plenty of photos so that you can make up your own opinions on the Quirky Switch...

Well, the box graphics are rather nice, and give a good first impressions of the product.

The back of the box shows the tool selection and the 3 different sizes available to you.

No matter how nice the box is, it is just a box. It is what's inside that counts. A nice gray plastic hard case is revealed.

Man this thing is big. No EDCing this case that is for sure.

Opening this case, I was a little floored at how many pieces came with this kit.

Wow...I think I better read that instruction manual a little closer before I do something stupid...

Ok, so after reading all that, I can see that everything is rather simple. I decide to take a closer look at the 3 tool sizes, and the outer handles which appear to be a blue anodized aluminum.

The next step was to take out all the various tools and see what is what.

I notice right away that a few of them are plastic with the majority steel. I begin to wonder how durable the plastic bits will be in the long run.

Each size has its own center shaft and end pin.

That is enough of looking at various parts. It is now time to put together the larger sized version of this weird tool.

Constructing the tool is a bit of a handful, as you need to use a finger in the larger hole to hold your various tools. Once that is full, you then have to slide a center shaft into place, and then cap the end with another piece that screws in. Next, you have to slide the end pin into its proper hole and cap that with a screw. Now, both center shaft and pin have two flat edges that need to mate with similar edges in the body. I found this to be the tricky part. Once you are correctly lined up, it does all fit together nicely.

I was surprised to find out the tool has a rudimentary locking mechanism. It isn't all that positive in action, but it is still there.

Here you can see the corkscrew locked and ready for use.

The largest version can contain quite a few tools, especially if you are using the thinner ones...

I did notice that the metal on metal surface did cause quite a bit of friction, equating to some major clumping. In a few instances, nail breakers. I wonder if mixing the plastic with the metal tools might alleviate this issue.

Here is the largest version full of multi-tool goodness.

After playing with it a little, it was time to dismantle it. Well, taking it apart was a little more difficult than putting it together. I had a heck of a time removing that larger central shaft. After a lot of wiggling and jiggling, it finally came apart.

Time to try out the other sizes available. Here is the medium tool.

And the smallest.

Which can hold enough tools in my opinion to get you out of a bind.

Conclusion
What can I say, this is one wacky tool that comes close but not quite close enough for me. I love the idea of a completely configurable multi-tool, but the execution hinders it somewhat. The metal on metal friction could have been fixed with a simple Teflon washer. You do get plastic tools as well, but I found these to bind along with the metal tools. Likewise, you can over tighten the tool and that just aggravates the binding issues.

Some of the tools are a bit daft. The pen and tweezers tools are very thick. The blades are awfully thin and feel more like a razor than a knife blade. I must admit, they are razor sharp though. The pliers are laughable in size and function. With that said, you do get a nice assortment of tools.  I love the included magnet tool. Absolutely hate the useless and poor quality magnifier tool.

Probably the biggest issue for me right now as it stands, how would someone carry this tool? No sheath or carry method is given. I suppose you could use that hollow central shaft to tie a string to it.  Either way, this tool needs an included sheath.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 03:16:10 AM by Chako »
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Re: The Quirky Switch
Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 03:25:30 AM
Despite the serious shortcomings of the tool, that was an excellent review of it sir. :salute: Thanks!

(I hearby nominate this review for posting on the main website) :pok:
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 07:17:24 AM
Excellent review Chako. :salute:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

cs Offline edcgear

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 07:25:40 AM
Nice one Chako... I like that tool, but is pricey to me!!  :salute: :tu: :tu:
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
There is method to my madness....
http://svakodnevnesitnice.blogspot.com/

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 07:28:24 AM
Great review chako, i like the look of this tool and the fact you can alter it to how you wont, ive not checked its price but im guessing high, cool tool  :tu:

au Offline MultiMat

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • The MTO handshake.
Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 07:30:08 AM
I have wondered what that weird one was like  :think: :think: :D :D.

Chako does the large pivot's fastener require a special tool too tighten it  :think: :think:.
You said the pliers are on the useless side of things are they smaller than say a Vic Swisschamps pliers  :think: :think:.

Any chance of a size comparison shot , either in hand or next to another MT or SAK  :think: :think:. I think it looks a bit unwieldy but I am not sure  :think: :D :D :D.

Thanks for the review mate  :cheers: :cheers:.
A cool concept but maybe not a winner  :D :D :D  .

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 07:37:37 AM

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: May 31, 2011, 08:03:36 AM
MultiMat, no special tools required. All you need is a quarter to tighten it.

Yes, the pliers are a little useless. Here is a photo illustrating the issue.

That is as wide as the Switch pliers will go versus the one found on a Vic 91mm Master Electrician. I think you will find that a little weak.

As for a size comparison, here it is versus the same Master Electrician...

And a width comparison...

Surprisingly, the overall shape is not that bad. The length of the tools however is definitely on the short side. Still a cool tool to play with.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: May 31, 2011, 08:14:09 AM
BTW Dan, are you tempted to do a knifeless set-up and carry it at work?

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: May 31, 2011, 08:19:46 AM
Not tempted at all. It would be hard to replace my Leatherman for that, and the Leatherman has a sheath.

at Offline Woz

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: May 31, 2011, 08:28:39 AM
Nice tool. I remember asking for opinions on it some weeks ago, now a full review. The service here is excellent  :salute: :salute: :D
edc-reviews.blogspot.com

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #11 on: May 31, 2011, 09:32:38 AM
 :tu:
Many thanks, I assume anybody using it will have to get up one hour earlier to decide what tools to take with him that day.  :D
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #12 on: May 31, 2011, 09:53:10 AM
 :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: for the comparison pics Chako

il Offline Threeme2189

• No Life Club
  • When in doubt, use a bigger hammer.
Reply #13 on: May 31, 2011, 10:11:14 AM
Nice review :)
The tool does look a bit quirky though...I wonder why they used that huge hollow shaft?
Chuck Norris' preferred iron supplement is rebar.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #14 on: May 31, 2011, 12:12:03 PM
Maybe so that you can place a finger inside any of the tools and thus you can use a single tool out of the plastic storage box alone in a pinch.  :think:

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #15 on: May 31, 2011, 03:54:48 PM
I don't know....

I think it should have:

Printed on the scales.  :P

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: May 31, 2011, 04:16:35 PM
Thanks for the review and all the pictures :tu:

I still think you should do a bladeless configuration and give it a try out in the real world.   :pok: for science and all that :P
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

us Offline David

Reply #17 on: May 31, 2011, 06:15:59 PM
Excellent review and pics as usual Chako.   :tu:  It appears the fiddle factor is off the scale on this one.   :D  So Mat do you have one under way yet?  :D
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #18 on: June 01, 2011, 12:42:43 AM
Excellent review and pics as usual Chako.   :tu:  It appears the fiddle factor is off the scale on this one.   :D  So Mat do you have one under way yet?  :D

On mad points alone I would like one BUT $79 is too high for me I am afraid  :( :( :D :D :D.

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #19 on: June 01, 2011, 03:16:34 AM
That tool is dangerous and inconvenient but I do love fig newtons.

us Offline ari6126

• No Life Club
  • Colors!
Reply #20 on: June 01, 2011, 04:53:02 AM
I think it's a good idea, but I have reservations on how much it will sell. "People in the know" (anybody reading this) are aware that $80 gets you a near perfect modded SAK. Everybody else is unlikely to spend so much on a pocket knife.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #21 on: June 01, 2011, 05:05:37 AM
I think if they could get enough of these into the right stores (Target, Wal-Mart, etc) at the right time (Dec 18 thru Dec 24) they could sell millions. :salute:

Mom to teenage daughter: "Oh damn, we haven't gotten a gift for your father yet! Grab one of those stupid Quirky things and toss it in the cart, I know he doesn't have one of those already."  ::) ::)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #22 on: June 01, 2011, 05:47:48 PM
I think if they could get enough of these into the right stores (Target, Wal-Mart, etc) at the right time (Dec 18 thru Dec 24) they could sell millions. :salute:

Mom to teenage daughter: "Oh damn, we haven't gotten a gift for your father yet! Grab one of those stupid Quirky things and toss it in the cart, I know he doesn't have one of those already."  ::) ::)

Boy that'd make me mad. >:(

I mean when there's the Puck Wrench out there, there's never a reason to go with tool kitsch.

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #23 on: June 02, 2011, 05:46:13 AM
Use coupon code nextorder for ten dollars off.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #24 on: June 13, 2011, 03:03:07 AM
Such an awesome tool, they are already on Clearance at ThinkGeek!

http://www.thinkgeek.com/clearance/on-sale/dee2/

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Crouton

• No Life Club
  • "Live long and ..useful."
Reply #25 on: June 13, 2011, 03:33:05 AM
     It certainly seems that a lot of thought went into developing this tool.  Overall, the quality looks to be good.  It's an interesting design actually.

I wonder why they made the pivot hole so large?  This would be a much more attractive tool if it could be pocket carried comfortably.

Thanks for the write up Chako.

:)

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #26 on: June 13, 2011, 12:18:00 PM
While carry appears to be awkward with a large hole like that I have to wonder how comfortable it would be to hold during use.  Especially with sharps involved you wouldn't want something awkward to hold onto.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #27 on: June 13, 2011, 12:43:26 PM
It is indeed awkward, but not as much as one would surmise from looking at the photos. As I have mentioned before, the upside to the design is that you can open your big awkward storage box and use any of the tools without any of the other implements or handles. I have found that big O ring perfect to slide a finger into, giving you much needed stability in using any of the tools. Not sure if this was a design consideration or an accidental feature.

Either way, I am not surprised at the tools clearance. I don't think they sold that many. It I wasn't a collector and attracted to the odd and strange, I wouldn't even look at this tool myself.

us Offline choombak

Reply #28 on: June 28, 2011, 05:26:39 AM
Firstly, thanks for a fantastic review, and lovely photos (the photos make me want one!). One drawback I see is the width, which could have been controlled by laying the tools like a SAK does, at opposite ends. I also see usage difficulties, especially the customization part - when you need a tool, you need a tool, and time is always short to customize. I agree with the "Playskool" post, that's what it is.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #29 on: April 18, 2012, 07:09:00 PM
Digging up this old thread as I've now had a chance to have a little play with one, courtesy of Badwolf at the recent meet-up. :tu:

Sadly I have to confess that I thought it was all a bit silly. :-\  As Dan said in the OP the tools clump horribly and the thing is a real fiddle to put together.  The tools themselves are just too small to be of any real use IMO, though I will admit that I didn't actually try using any of them so I could be being unfair.

Without wanting to put words in other people's mouths, I think I can safely say the the group conclusion was a pretty resounding; NO! :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $36.34
PayPal Fees: $1.66
Net Balance: $34.68
Below Goal: $265.32
Site Currency: USD
 12%