Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Cosmetic Changes to the Victorinox Swisstool Spirit X??

Offline songa

hey guys, I just purchased a Victorinox Swisstool Spirit X off eBay and have noticed a couple of cosmetic differences from what I was expecting.  This raised some red flags to me as I am now unsure if this unit is a fake knockoff, or just a product of a different manufacturing run by Victorinox (maybe a cost cutting measure?).

Here are the cosmetic differences that I noticed, with images I took of the unit I received.

1.  On the handles of my unit, the Swiss "+" logo is ABOVE the "Victorinox" engraving. In all the pics/videos I've seen, the "+" logo is to the LEFT of the "Victorinox" engraving.

CLOSED SIDE 1:

CLOSED SIDE 2:

2.  There is no Swiss "+" logo anywhere on my plier head.

OPEN SIDE 1:

OPEN SIDE 2:

Does anybody know if this is in fact a genuine Victorinox Swisstool Spirit X?  Is it perhaps just a cost cutting measure to eliminate the "+" logo on the plier head, making this unit a product of a different manufacturing run I happened to receive?  does anybody else's Spirit X look like this?

thanks guys!

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Re: Cosmetic Changes to the Victorinox Swisstool Spirit X??
Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 05:54:44 AM
My Roadtour Spirit has the same handle logo and location. All my others have the usual logo location. As for the plier head...all of mine have the symbol. No clue on that, however, does your tool feel of high quality? If it was a knockoff, I would think you would notice some moderate quality issues that wouldn't bespeak of Victorinox. Your multi-tool is interesting.

Maybe someone more knowledgeable will have a better idea.  :think:
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

Offline songa

Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 06:10:33 AM
thanks for the response.  honestly this is one of my first multiools and my first victorinox, so that probably discounts my opinion off the bat.  however, the tool does seem to be of quality.  even if this was a genuine victorinox, id still be curious as to why they have suddenly made these changes to their tools.

on another strange but unrelated note, ive also noticed that the "spirit x" model is not on their website (victorinox.com).  it is however, on their swissarmy.com website.  strange.

Offline songa

Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 11:21:10 AM
sorry guys, shouldve searched better!

found an answer in the "spirit owners club" thread.  well according to someone else these are normal updates for the Spirit X from 2010 on...

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,9743.690.html

pretty cool!  anyone know where i can get a black oxide edition? :)

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: July 09, 2011, 01:54:00 AM
sorry guys, shouldve searched better!

found an answer in the "spirit owners club" thread.  well according to someone else these are normal updates for the Spirit X from 2010 on...

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,9743.690.html

pretty cool!  anyone know where i can get a black oxide edition? :)

Sounds like you've found the answer to your question Songa :salute:

Not sure where you can find a black oxide Spirit X though. :think: Maybe send a message to Felinevet Tim and see if he can help. :)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%