Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Another package

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Another package
on: December 07, 2007, 06:51:34 PM
This week has been pretty good for the post!  I'm still waiting on that laptop I ordered, and not terribly amused about waiting till next week in hopes of seeing it, but I'll manage somehow.

Today I got a discontinued Gerber MultiPlier 700 Urban Legend that I am thrilled to have.  I've been wanting one of these buggers for some time, and thanks to Dennis at www.gerber-tools.com I finally have one! 

I have to say I really like this one so far, but it's somewhat smaller than I had envisioned.  The one handed opening blade is pretty sweet, the lock up is solid (although this particular one is missing a spring on one side, which is the only reason Dennis had it in stock, more on that later!) and I get to play with some of Gerber's great trademark features like the spring loaded pliers, Fiskars scissors and the three sided carbide cutter insert doodads! 

While the tool may be smaller than expected overall, the head on this thing is massive!  Imagine a Juice sized tool with a PowerLock head on it!

When I contacted Dennis to ask if he had one of these (long shot I know since it's been discontinued a while) he said he had one left that he couldn't sell because of a problem with the lock mechanism.  I imagined some kind of actual fault with it, but it really is just a tiny little spring that's missing that engages the lock.  Other than that, this one is perfect, without so much as a mark on it, and it came brand new in the box with all the paperwork and a nylon sheath.

I'll carry this guy for a bit and get an actual review up, but in the meantime, here's a couple of pictures for your drooling pleasure!  :D

Thanks Dennis!  Yoodaman!

Def

* 700_01.JPG (Filesize: 31.69 KB)

* 700_02.JPG (Filesize: 23.5 KB)
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Re: Another package
Reply #1 on: December 07, 2007, 06:55:10 PM
That looks very smart Def.  :)

I'm back!!

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #2 on: December 07, 2007, 07:15:40 PM
Can't wait to read the review mate, I'm developing a bit of a soft spot for gerbers of late ;)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
  • Hello...is this thing on?
Reply #3 on: December 07, 2007, 07:41:40 PM
I have the 800 and i love it! I think you'll be very pleased with the 700 Def! And i've always told you Gerbers were great Micky!
Life is like a sandwich...the older it gets the crustier it becomes!

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #4 on: December 07, 2007, 07:43:05 PM
I have the 800 and i love it! I think you'll be very pleased with the 700 Def! And i've always told you Gerbers were great Micky!
You did at that mate, I'm just a slow learner :D
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: December 07, 2007, 09:40:34 PM
I like my 800 a lot. I like the pliers the most! But it rusts quite easily, far more easily then any Leatherman!
B

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #6 on: December 07, 2007, 11:05:02 PM
That's one thing I like about Gerber,they go further out on a limb than others when it comes to innovation,but I do wish they'd ease up on the bead blasting
I

Offline Viper

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: December 08, 2007, 01:45:11 AM
Leathermans rust much easier than any Gerber I have had...

I love the design though, but the 800 is a tad large. I'll keep an eye out, but I think that the PowerAssist, if it is done right, will be my EDC for a while.
[

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #8 on: December 08, 2007, 01:49:56 AM
Well, personally I don't agree with that statement. I have abused lm's for 20 years and have never had a rust issue. Well only once with my Kick, I dropped it in a bucket of water on a saturday and did not get it till the following saturday. But only the plier head on the gerber rusted.. not the tools
B

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: December 08, 2007, 03:49:48 AM
Def,
Did your tool come with a little Torx wrench for changing the carbide cutters? The same wrench should fit the plier and blade pivot screws.

Makes adjusting or changing blades as easy as a SOG.  :)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #10 on: December 08, 2007, 08:50:43 AM
Unfortunately that part was missing.  Fortunately I have one anyway!   :multi:

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #11 on: December 08, 2007, 05:26:15 PM
Dandy  :) Now all you need is a little spring from the hardware store and you should be in business
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%