Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Can you recommend a Gerber?

kirk13 · 31 · 5177

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
on: August 20, 2011, 12:26:33 AM
I have may in the past have been over hasty in disregarding Gerbers.I love my little Clutches(in fact thier the standard I judge minitools by!),loath Vices(no not the good ones like drinking and....).I was put off SOGs by the Powerassist I briefly owned,but now am in the grip of SOG addiction.

With this in mind,can you guys recommend a Gerber tool?Only real quaifying criteria is that it should NOT have a locking blade(unless its very cool,and really worth having as a shelf queen)

Come on :gimme:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.

au Offline MultiMat

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • The MTO handshake.
Re: Can you recommend a Gerber?
Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 05:47:22 AM
The MP400 & MP600 are very good MTs BUT they do have locking tools/blades  :think: :think:

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #3 on: August 20, 2011, 03:46:35 PM
Yeah, if you can find them, I'd suggest going with an old Multiplier, which predates the MP400 and MP600 (the locking variants of the Multiplier).

They can still be found; I picked up a blunt nose one a couple days ago, myself. :tu:

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: August 20, 2011, 07:12:16 PM
Thanks for the sugestions guys.Has anyone ever tried a MultiLite?
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #5 on: August 20, 2011, 08:00:24 PM
Gimicky, in my opinion.  The light is almost worthless. :/

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: August 20, 2011, 08:06:27 PM
For collection purpose maybe a Multilite would be cool some day, but the older Multipliers are worth every penny.. :tu: :tu:

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #7 on: August 20, 2011, 08:08:43 PM
Huh, I didn't know there was a blunt-nose, needle nose, and an intermediary between the two.

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: August 20, 2011, 08:14:02 PM
Huh, I didn't know there was a blunt-nose, needle nose, and an intermediary between the two.
It's nice isn't it.??  ;) Afaik it's the oldest of the trio..  :)

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: August 21, 2011, 12:24:26 PM
Are the old school Multipliers rare?I've had no luck searching for them :cry:

Does anyone know there model code designation? :pok:,they do look a bit yummy :drool:

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #10 on: August 21, 2011, 12:52:45 PM
PM sent . I found a couple but you may need a US member to help out  :think: :think:

us Offline evil510

• Envision. Create. Innovate.
Reply #11 on: August 21, 2011, 12:58:28 PM
I have this one. Got got it back from Gerber warranty some time ago. The whole tool use to be black oxide. Gerber warrranty sends your old tool back with an "X" engraved on it, so, I ended up polishing the handles. Turned out that I liked it even more with the black and silver color combo. It's been sitting ever since I got it back. The only tool that shows any sign of real use is the plain edged knife. Anyway, if you have any interest, let me know.....

~ evil ~

« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 01:00:05 PM by evil510 »
CURRENT PROJECTS:
Evil's Urban Trekker (on hold)
Shear Evil (on hold)
The Evil Incarnate (a work in progress)

UPDATES:
Evil's Quad Strop Mini introduced.....
Evil's Pocket Octo-Driver introduced.....
Brute Driver HD - COMPLETE

LATEST NEWS:

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: August 23, 2011, 02:17:17 AM
Have any of you modded 400 seris Gerbers?How easy would it be to remove the blade???

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #13 on: August 23, 2011, 02:22:06 AM
The Gerber fasteners are pretty easy to remove if you are careful (using vise grips or the like)  :tu: :tu:
So removing the 400's blade is pretty straight forward & I am fairly sure the 400's & 600's parts are interchangeable so you could slot something else in or use a spacer :think: :think:.
WH867/Dennis would be a good guy to talk too.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: August 24, 2011, 05:03:32 PM

With any luck,this little baby will be soon winging its way to me!

In the mean time I found a Crucial,for £30 in Millets :oops:

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: August 24, 2011, 09:56:08 PM
They're much maligned by most members here, but I really like my Octane.  It does have a locking blade though.  But, it's small and light, easy to deploy, and clips easily into a pocket.  If you don't need a heavy duty tool, then it might work for you. 
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

us Offline tattoosteve99

Reply #18 on: August 28, 2011, 11:15:27 PM
Have any of you modded 400 seris Gerbers?How easy would it be to remove the blade???

I've taken them apart many times to repair them. Parts from the 600 are interchangeable but keep in mind where the pliers close. I have 2 400s a silver one and a homemade BO one.
If I remember correctly, wait, what was I saying?

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #19 on: August 28, 2011, 11:36:11 PM
They're much maligned by most members here, but I really like my Octane.  It does have a locking blade though.  But, it's small and light, easy to deploy, and clips easily into a pocket.  If you don't need a heavy duty tool, then it might work for you.

While I personally believe that no tool is "right" for everyone, I also think that anyone who doesn't like the Octane is off their rocker!  :P  The Octane is a fantastic little tool, and was designed with a fair bit of inadvertent input from Multitool.org members.  We wanted a return to quality sliding head designs, so they did it.  We wanted 3D phillips drivers and they did it.  We wanted outside, one handed opening blades, and they did that too.  They also went the distance and added a non-traditional but ingenious and effective bottle opener that takes up no space on the tool whatsoever. 

The Octane is a great little tool.  Yes it's light duty, but then better a light duty tool you are likely to have with you than a heavier tool that you leave at home.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: August 30, 2011, 02:05:48 AM
Grant, I couldn't agree more! :)  I really like my Octane for it's combination of light weight, small size, and tool selection.  I recently swapped it into one of the external pouches I keep on my messenger/EDC bag for the Swiss Champ I had been carrying.  My bag is a lot lighter now! :D  As much as I love my Swiss Champ, pulling it out just to use the blade or the screwdriver was a pain, and I really only used it for the scissors anyway.  But, I've got a CS on my keychain, so it had been quite a while since I had used the SAK, so out it went and the Octane took its place.  I can pull it out and open either the blade or the pliers one handed, and I love being able to do that! :D
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #21 on: August 30, 2011, 02:26:23 AM
I agree with both Heinz and Def - the Octane kicks butt! It's such a light and handy little tool. The Phillips driver is great, and the pliers are awesome. My only problem with it is that as a lefty, the blade can be difficult at times. It's loosening up nicely though, and soon I should be able to just give it a flick with my middle finger and it'll pop right open. I pair it with a SAK, exactly which one depends on my mood. Today it's my Champion, tomorrow, who knows? But for a light duty, kicking around type of tool, you can't go wrong with the Octane.
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

ca Offline Beerplumber

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: August 30, 2011, 02:37:14 AM
Shoot I looked at the octane and crucial for a long time... Then I bought a skeletool!

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #23 on: August 30, 2011, 03:24:57 AM
Shoot I looked at the octane and crucial for a long time... Then I bought a skeletool!
I wasn't even planning on buying my Octane. I was just playing with it at the store, and the guy behind the counter mentioned that it was discounted, then gave me another discount on it because it was a display tool. I have to say, the Octane feels better in the pocket than the Skeletool, and I like the pliers better. The Skele's bit driver gives it an edge, but when paired with a SAK, I don't mind the drivers on the Octane.
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: August 31, 2011, 12:39:51 AM
I used mine just yesterday as I was heading out to work.  As I was locking the door behind me, I noticed one of the little screws that hold the backing plate of the doorknob to the door (old door, old building) was loose.  I reached around for my Octane, flipped it open and flipped out the philips driver, and then it was back in my pocket.  About 30 seconds total, and no more wiggly doorknob.

Offline joebw

Reply #25 on: September 01, 2011, 01:02:25 AM
I do like the Octane - sort of a modern day Gerber 400.  I especially like the blister pack opener.  Will be interested to see how long the edge on that holds up.  I do have both the red and black scale versions.

Best - Joe

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: September 02, 2011, 12:23:00 AM
I do like the Octane - sort of a modern day Gerber 400.  I especially like the blister pack opener.  Will be interested to see how long the edge on that holds up.  I do have both the red and black scale versions.

Best - Joe

I can't say the package opener has worked all that well for me for that task, but it does work great as a scraper/gouge...  I've used it to clean gunk out of tight spaces on small things several times, used it to etch lines to start a cut with another tool, etc., so it's handy for that at least. :D

ca Offline Beerplumber

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: September 02, 2011, 12:54:22 AM
The chiseled corner on the combitool of a spirit works nicely on blister packaging,  sorry 'bout the hijacking

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #28 on: September 02, 2011, 12:57:06 AM
The chiseled corner on the combitool of a spirit works nicely on blister packaging,  sorry 'bout the hijacking

Dont worry about it!Its MTo,if the thread hadnt been hijacked there be something seriously wrong! ::)

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #29 on: September 30, 2011, 07:57:22 AM
I'm pretty sure that semi blunt multiplier was my very first MT.  Awesome tool, but it would pinch the fire out of your hand.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD
24%