Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What's it worth?

us Offline bushidomosquito

What's it worth?
on: September 02, 2011, 03:07:59 PM
I'm almost ready to sell my titanium Deluxe Tinker and I have no idea what the price should be. At first I just wanted to get enough to get some more parts cut but then I ran across this. http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?244825-Titanium-Compass-with-tritium
This guy got $410 each for a $60 compass encased in titanium that I could machine out in an evening. I'm not saying it's not worth it. It's very cool and worth every penny if I had $410 that I didn't need and couldn't make it myself. They all sold fairly quickly but then CPF has a lot of members with money and an addiction to titanium. Atwood can sell one tiny piece of titanium for $100 easily, Hinderer gets several hundred for his pieces of titanium and they come off a CNC mill with minimal hand finishing and the famous 007 flashlight costs a cool grand. I am thinking that I should ask more than the $200 that I need to get Great Lakes Waterjet to fire up their machine on some Ti sheet for me. It's a prototype, I'm putting serial #001 on it and there currently isn't another SAK like it in the world. What do you think it's worth?

Sent from my Glock 23 using Doubletaptalk

au Offline MultiMat

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • The MTO handshake.
Re: What's it worth?
Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 03:26:31 PM
Yep I reckon you could get more than $200 for your stunning custom SAK mate  :think: :think:.

I am no expert on SAKs or Titanium customs BUT if I had $ too burn  :think: :gimme: :gimme: :D :D

Good luck mate  :tu: :tu:
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 06:14:59 PM by MultiMat »

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: September 02, 2011, 03:52:54 PM
Nice!  I'm pretty sure you could get more than $200 for it as I'd add it to my collection for that.  Need a few more pictures and some information on your other work.

To answer the question you'd have to list it on ebay, where I'm sure it would get a pretty good response.  SAKs don't seem to fetch quite as much as some other collector items, and you have to consider the model/tool-configuration; but you are probbaly looking at a very good sale price for that.

How about telling us a bit more about it.  How are the scales attached?

Good luck, love to see more.

Reply #3 on: September 02, 2011, 06:16:25 PM
Nice!  I'm pretty sure you could get more than $200 for it as I'd add it to my collection for that.  Need a few more pictures and some information on your other work.

To answer the question you'd have to list it on ebay, where I'm sure it would get a pretty good response.  SAKs don't seem to fetch quite as much as some other collector items, and you have to consider the model/tool-configuration; but you are probbaly looking at a very good sale price for that.

The scales are countersunk and the pins are flared open and then down into the countersinks. I had to make several sets of little flaring mandrels to open them up at increasing angles so they didn't just squash the tool together and bind everything up. The backtool pins are peened into countersunk holes and everything was sanded smooth and polished. The polish is difficult to photograph but it is a mirror finish. It will eventually have this shield with my makers mark, the Japanese symbol for 'mosquito', engraved on it and serial#001.

Here is the thread where I slowly revealed it coming together. If there's anything else you want to know just ask.
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,29379.0.html

00 Offline WWW

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: September 02, 2011, 06:20:00 PM
I would go for more, easily! If I had $ you could be sure that it would be mine!! I'm really thinking on my perfect SAK with those gorgeous scales and liners! Truly wish you the best!!

ps Great mark!

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #5 on: September 02, 2011, 06:38:05 PM
I'd make it a 10 day auction and use the title "Victorinox Super Tinker Titanium Not Alox Custom"

Just my guess but I think attracting some of the Alox fans will give you a better customer base. 

I would expect between $200 and $400 for it.

Good luck  :tu:
SAW

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: September 02, 2011, 07:25:27 PM

The scales are countersunk and the pins are flared open and then down into the countersinks. I had to make several sets of little flaring mandrels to open them up at increasing angles so they didn't just squash the tool together and bind everything up. The backtool pins are peened into countersunk holes and everything was sanded smooth and polished. The polish is difficult to photograph but it is a mirror finish. It will eventually have this shield with my makers mark, the Japanese symbol for 'mosquito', engraved on it and serial#001.

(Image removed from quote.)
Here is the thread where I slowly revealed it coming together. If there's anything else you want to know just ask.
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,29379.0.html

Holy!!! ******    :drool: :drool:   :salute:

I have not been following that forum as I have too many forums to follow.  I see I've been missing some great stuff.  I just up'd my price to $300.00, and I don't think I'd get it for that.

Should have a corkscrew because something that nice one would be expected to open wine with.  I'd open a bottle just to celebrate getting it.  Also you could make a nice titanium handle for the jewlers driver that sits in the corkcrew instead of it's standard ugly grey plastic handle.

Send me a PM if you want to save the trouble of ebay.

Reply #7 on: September 02, 2011, 08:00:49 PM
I just sold it to a guy in Norway.  :D Those Northmen take their knives seriously!

Damn it feels good to be a knifemaker. If anybody else wants one the carbon fiber and orange G10 Super Tinkers will be done in a few days. I'll make you whatever you like for a reasonable deposit for tools and supplies.

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: September 02, 2011, 09:58:39 PM
I just sold it to a guy in Norway.  :D Those Northmen take their knives seriously!

Damn it feels good to be a knifemaker. If anybody else wants one the carbon fiber and orange G10 Super Tinkers will be done in a few days. I'll make you whatever you like for a reasonable deposit for tools and supplies.

Nice!!  Yes, they sure do take their knives serious.  I'm sure it went to a good home.

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: September 03, 2011, 02:13:16 AM
Very cool mod , nice work .

Chris

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #10 on: September 03, 2011, 02:50:50 AM
Congrats mozzie man  8) 8) 8) 8) , look forward to seeing the future projects the sale will finance  :drool: :drool: :drool: :salute: :salute: :salute:

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

Reply #11 on: September 03, 2011, 05:11:44 AM
Congrats mozzie man  8) 8) 8) 8) , look forward to seeing the future projects the sale will finance  :drool: :drool: :drool: :salute: :salute: :salute:

"Tilox"  :D

Titanium scales in the alox pattern deep laser engraved with the checkering and shield, then PVD coated along with the blades and tools in these diamond hard colors,

That's the ultimate goal.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #12 on: September 03, 2011, 05:55:44 AM
Congrats on your first knife sale skeeter man! :cheers:
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline stax

Reply #13 on: September 03, 2011, 08:23:14 AM
Long time lurker, first time poster.  :salute:  I had to register to give props to this work.  That's a beautiful SAK.  Keep it up!
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 08:28:31 AM by stax »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD