Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The PERFECT Pocket Power Plier

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
The PERFECT Pocket Power Plier
on: September 08, 2011, 11:49:40 PM
So far we’ve seen SOG produce the Power Plier, Pocket Power Plier and the Deluxe Pocket Power Plier – now I have the PPPP the Perfect (for me) Pocket Power Plier. 

I’m a big fan of the PPP and carried one for a good while, but it does have it’s shortcomings. Firstly of course there are the gears of madness – the unfortunate side effect of the wonderful compound leverage. Added to that there is that screwdriver on the end of the file, OK as a scraper in my opinion – but I don’t trust the idea of using it as a driver. For me a file and a driver should be two different hardnesses, and I’m not convinced about the torque on such a long implement on a non-locking tool. Finally there’s the absence of scissors.

It took a while, and more than a few units of currency to remedy this, but now I’ve got a variant I’m very happy with. I did have to crossbreed three tools to do it though.

First of all the compound leverage discomfort could only be overcome with the gear covers on the Paladin PT-510. I also like the plier head on this tool with it’s slightly modified nose profile and longer wire cutters.

As there is medium flat blade capabilities on the cap lifter anyway I decided to forego the additional larger driver on the file and upgrade to one of Leatherman’s diamond files with the fish hook groove from a PST II. Also from the same tool I added the excellent original Leatherman scissors. Why they replaced these with the teeny things that are on the 2004 Wave etc is still a mystery to me. Finally I added the rest of the tools from the original PPP loadout.

The result is quite a congested tool, and clumping is actually slightly more on the file side than previous, but that actually serves in your favour when selecting either the cap lifter or can opener. The file also rubs slightly against the can opener as I had to use a very thin washer to avoid overloading and straining the handles to get the full tool compliment in. It’s nothing detrimental though – even if the file does eventually eliminate the problem itself by wearing off the metal that catches against it.

So there we have it – good capacity scissors, compound leverage and a diamond file with plenty of other capabilities in a UK legal (non-locking) tool  :tu:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Re: The PERFECT Pocket Power Plier
Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 11:54:30 PM
Nice work.... that's what I love about SOG tools, making them fit for your purpose.
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 12:35:57 AM
That's a nice bit of customisation  :tu:

I'll have to borrow my son's PT-510 and take a picture of its current load out.
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: September 09, 2011, 01:06:51 AM
Thanks guys  :salute:

Sounds intriguing .... :D :D
Looking forward to it  :tu:

gb Offline Neil

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: September 09, 2011, 01:09:51 AM
Remind me if I forget... you know what I'm like ::)

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: September 09, 2011, 03:00:03 AM
Nice bit of customization there Al. :tu: It's like a PST II, but with compound leverage and a better plier shape. :)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline 82brutus

Reply #6 on: September 09, 2011, 03:04:28 AM
Very nice tool selection.   I really need to add some gear covers to my PPP.   :sak:
“We shall neither fail nor falter; we shall not weaken or tire...give us the tools and we will finish the job.” - Winston Churchill

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: September 12, 2011, 03:37:35 PM
Nice bit of customization there Al. :tu: It's like a PST II, but with compound leverage and a better plier shape. :)

Thanks Bob  :salute: ... and an awl, don't forget the awl mate.
Gotta have a pokey thing  :D :D :D

Very nice tool selection.   I really need to add some gear covers to my PPP.   :sak:

Thank you  :tu: Yeah, they do make it much nicer to use, especially if using the drivers or awl.

I've been carrying my Roundhouse Kick lately but I'll be switching to this for a while soon I reckon  :tu: :D :D

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Reply #8 on: September 12, 2011, 04:58:51 PM
I like it!  It's great how the LM tools can be fitted in such a way.  :tu:
SAW

za Offline Jors

• Johan Crous
Reply #9 on: September 13, 2011, 06:02:51 AM
I am also itching to buy one of these PPPs. Here in SA on the short term I have only access to the normal one. However I am Also thinking of modding it. There is a lot of potential in this model.
Regards
Johan

LEATHERMAN: Charge TTi; Super Tool 300; Surge; Pulse; Squirt P4; Micra; MUT STD; Bit Adapter; Universal Bit Adapter; Bit Extender; Leatherman Bit Kit; SOG: Powerlock (S60); Pocket PowerPlier (S44-N); Paratool (S31-N); CrossCut (CC51-CP); Rebar.
Lightsaver LS805 Commando; LED P7 & P5 (EDC); Maratac AAA (EDC Backup); Maglite Solitaire LED.
Cold Steel Lawman; Cudeman 8" & 10" Bowie. 4 Joseph Rogers, 4 Opinel; Buck 110 & 112 & 503.
www.johancrous.co.za

gb Offline Neil

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: September 22, 2011, 12:31:37 AM
Thanks guys  :salute:

Sounds intriguing .... :D :D
Looking forward to it  :tu:

Remembered :D

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: September 22, 2011, 12:45:44 AM
Good man  :tu: Another tidy set up mate.  :salute:

Nice to see a bit adapter that still has it's spring  ::) I tried making a replacement for my Powerlock a few times, but I never had full confidence. Thankfully there's a far better solution (for me that is) on the way courtesy of J-sews  :D :D

pl Offline Gilliand

Reply #12 on: February 09, 2014, 10:21:58 AM
Sorry for archaeology, but there's really no point in creating new topic about the same thing.

I've tried to the same thing with my PPP (new) - add file and scissors from PST II. Unfortunately Leatherman tools didn't want to properly lock in PPP. File was just loose but scissors won't work at all (they require a lock to start spring-action). Did you have similar problem? If so, how did you overcome it?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 11:12:23 AM by Gilliand »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD