Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Suggestions for a new career.

Benner · 28 · 2736

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Suggestions for a new career.
on: December 18, 2007, 11:41:13 PM
Hi all.

I need your help.  I am looking for a new job and my main difficulty is choosing what I want to do.  So I need some suggestions.  Here are a few points though;

I dont want to work in an office.
I am colour-blind.  (So there goes my dream of me being a pilot ::)).
Shift work is not really an option as I have children.
I have 10 GCSE's - 3a's, 5b's, 2c's and 3 A-levels in Maths, english and geography all grade D.
I have a City & guilds in electronic engineering.
And I am working towards my NVQ Level 3 in health and social care.

Please note all that I am as skinny as they come and that I have NO standards whatsoever.  Nothing is too low for me! :D

I just need some ideas really as so far I have none and don't even know where to start.

All suggestions will be greatly appreciated.  :)

Benner

I'm back!!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Suggestions for a new career.
Reply #1 on: December 19, 2007, 12:37:36 AM
You could start selling ad space for websites- I know of at least one place that's looking for help in that department!  :D

Security planning is also a good job to get into- find a decent architectural program for your computer and incorporate your own company.  I use 3D Home Architect, which allows you to re-create a building and take a virtual walk through it which can help with camera placements and the like.  Plus the good news is, other than client meetings and site visitations you can work from home so you can look after the kids.  I'd be happy to help you if you wanted to look into something like that.

Beyond that, I'd suggest trying out for astronaut/cowboy/millionaire because that's my dream job.  :P

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #2 on: December 19, 2007, 12:51:41 AM
Please note all that I am as skinny as they come and that I have NO standards whatsoever.  Nothing is too low for me! :D

haha what does being skinny have to do with anything? :pok:

Are there any companies that work with electronic products you could look into?  Every electronic thing I own comes from Asia though...not from England :think:
[

us Offline WhichDawg

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: December 19, 2007, 12:52:04 AM
flexible hours, in charge, meet lotsa people/ladies...

:twak:

but seriously, what would be your dream, even if it's out there!
what have you seen and thought; "That Would Be Cool!"
then we could really help you :)

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: December 19, 2007, 12:54:18 AM

haha what does being skinny have to do with anything? :pok:

Are there any companies that work with electronic products you could look into?  Every electronic thing I own comes from Asia though...not from England :think:

Erm things like doorman/security would probably not be an option for example.
I'm back!!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: December 19, 2007, 12:57:56 AM
why not?  I was all of 120 pounds when I started! :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: December 19, 2007, 12:59:30 AM
why not?  I was all of 120 pounds when I started! :D

Def

As it happens security is one sector I would be interested in.
I'm back!!

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #7 on: December 19, 2007, 01:00:34 AM
I hear this guy wasn't to big and he did alright

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: December 19, 2007, 01:20:00 AM
Working security is always a challenge, which might explain why most security guards are challenged! :P

Bad idea with kids though as 80% of security work is nights and weekends, which is why I was suggesting a security consulting gig.  It's great for a single guy, especially bar work because you can pretty well enjoy the company of any woman you want- doormen and DJ's always get pick of the litter!  It's ok for a married guy for the same reasons, but then you have to make certain you introduce yourself as Mike Smithson and go to their place!   :pok:

But I don't think I'd want to do it if I had kids at home.  The hours are terrible and the pay usually stinks, plus (and I don't mean to sound dramatic) but it is dangerous work.  Cops carry weapons and have backup- you are always within two feet of your subject and they always hate you.  By the time the busy bartender notices you've gone down it may be far too late to do anything to help you.

"Yes, I'll have two beers and a rum & coke... oh and did you know your bouncer is dead?  I slipped on his entrails on the way in.  You may want to get a mop."

Def

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: December 19, 2007, 01:25:25 AM
You paint a lovely picture!  :D

I was thinking more camera/alarm install etc. I think your idea is pretty good.  I am not exactly great on a computer though.
I'm back!!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: December 19, 2007, 01:34:00 AM
You don't need to be good with a computer to do it.  Get a laser measuring tape to save some time, walk through the building making rough sketches, then when you get home draw it out in an architecture program.  Pretty simple once you figure it out, and it helps you decide where to mount cameras, keypads etc, as well as keep track of power sources and the like.  Most systems nowadays are off the shelf plug and play types, but you could always subcontract to an installer and do little more than the design yourself.

There's a certain amount of study and experience necessary to build an effective security system, especially on a budget, but you can pick it up fast enough.  Nowadays with solar panels and wireless systems there are a bunch more options as well.  It's a rapidly expanding field here, and moreso in Europe from what I hear.

Def

Offline Biru

Reply #11 on: December 19, 2007, 02:34:46 AM
With your EE background, perhaps a career as a Sound Technician or theatre soundperson might be considered. If you can get with a legitimate theatre, the monetary results might be pretty rewarding. The main problem: later hours (but a theatre offers REGULAR hours as opposed to other types of sound work) and performer eccentricities. Just pitching it out there. Good Luck, Bill.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #12 on: December 19, 2007, 09:11:01 AM
How good are you at art ???, ever thought of being a tattoo artist, the moneys great so are the hours, and you'll be worshipped wherever you go :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #13 on: December 19, 2007, 12:29:01 PM
How good are you at art ???, ever thought of being a tattoo artist, the moneys great so are the hours, and you'll be worshipped wherever you go :)

I have thought about it, but unless everyone would want tattoos of stickmen I don't think I'd be very good.  :D
I'm back!!

Offline cryptrick

Reply #14 on: December 19, 2007, 07:37:00 PM
Its always tricky looking/thinking of a new job or career. I thought you liked your job Benner :(

Anyway, as you're quite intelligent (a-level maths is a tough one, i passed physics a-level but left the maths :D) you should be able to get quite a decent job. I agree on the part that Office work is boring. Also shop work can be a pain in the ass when you get customers all day bitching about customer satisfaction etc, so if you're not keen on that it might be worth leaving shop floor work out of it. Have you thought about going back into the electrical side and perhaps working for a company that does onsite electrical work ie you would travel to certain shops/companies in the area and do the electrical work for them. Atleast you would have a bit of driving to do and not feel stuck in the same place all day.

Or if you really like driving you could always work for a courier service. Hours usually mean getting up a bit early but a lot of the time finishing in the day, so you have the aftertoon and evening to do whatever. Do you need to fit your hours around the missus working and looking after kids, if so something like courier, could work.
[

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #15 on: December 20, 2007, 12:27:02 AM
Thanks for the ideas pal.  I doenjoy working with the children, but I get pig sick of all the red tape involved and the hours are a killer.  Especially when I have 2 children.

Being a courier is not a bad idea.  I have thought about multi-drop delivering but my age goes against me a little.

As for electronics, when repairs were concerned my colourblindness was a limiting factor.  Resistors are a bugger to read!  I was always more into installations and would look into this if I could find somewhere where the pay was good.

Ideally I want a job that is different that maybe pays well because no one else really wants to do it.  Things like working with the dead for example.  I suppose if I had to state my current 'dream job' I would say something along the lines of a mortuary assistant or something like that.  Although I expect the hours are just as bad. :(
I'm back!!

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #16 on: December 20, 2007, 12:57:41 AM
when I was in my early 20's I had a chance to be a coroners assistant/lackey but it never happened; it was a political thing in chicago
my father had some connections (but not good enough I guess) but I did think about it, mainly because the money was real good!

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #17 on: December 20, 2007, 01:08:43 AM
I would have to say that if you need to change careers do not be an archaeologist.  Find somthing that you are hapy doing and do that.  Maybe somthing that allows you to be home with the family whenyou need to be there.  It is tough to think about such things because there are drawbacks to almost everything.  For myself, when I wanted to get out of archaeology I was going to be a Cop because I like firearms and "tactical" type activities, then my current job kind of fell into my lap.  I like what I do now and the fact that I only work 3 days a week and make much much more money than I ever could have made at the job that I had makes it even better.   

ph Offline edap617

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: December 20, 2007, 04:57:28 AM
Thanks for the ideas pal.  I doenjoy working with the children, but I get pig sick of all the red tape involved and the hours are a killer.  Especially when I have 2 children.

Being a courier is not a bad idea.  I have thought about multi-drop delivering but my age goes against me a little.

As for electronics, when repairs were concerned my colourblindness was a limiting factor.  Resistors are a bugger to read!  I was always more into installations and would look into this if I could find somewhere where the pay was good.

Ideally I want a job that is different that maybe pays well because no one else really wants to do it.  Things like working with the dead for example.  I suppose if I had to state my current 'dream job' I would say something along the lines of a mortuary assistant or something like that.  Although I expect the hours are just as bad. :(

Perhaps working with the dead is a high paying job, but just don't bring some homework. Just kidding....

Edap

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #19 on: December 20, 2007, 02:56:30 PM
"Bring out your dead....bring out your dead..." could be fun!

* dead3_1.jpg (Filesize: 17.13 KB)

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #20 on: December 20, 2007, 09:09:07 PM

Only if you like dead people.  They dont really talk much so if you like conversation in jor job this might not be for you. :)

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #21 on: December 21, 2007, 12:37:09 AM

Only if you like dead people.  They dont really talk much so if you like conversation in jor job this might not be for you. :)

Silence is golden.   :angel:
I'm back!!

ph Offline edap617

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: December 21, 2007, 12:49:28 AM
Working with the dead!

It's the most peaceful work invironment.

Eddie
« Last Edit: December 21, 2007, 12:55:19 AM by edap617 »

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #23 on: December 21, 2007, 06:52:48 PM
yes and they never complain, and never sue you!

Offline jay_imok

Reply #24 on: December 22, 2007, 01:34:15 PM
do your parents know you're on the computer?

Offline jock1

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: December 22, 2007, 03:24:31 PM
I think you would enjoy the job but from past visits to the city morgue it can be hell when the fridges pack up especially during the summer!!!!!!!!!

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #26 on: December 22, 2007, 04:45:24 PM
do your parents know you're on the computer?

Sorry buddy, who's that question for?
I'm back!!

Offline FRESHpalm

Reply #27 on: December 22, 2007, 09:00:47 PM
You could move to alaska and make 45 bucks an hour on an oil rig. High death rate tho  :-X

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%