Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Favourite Dog Breeds

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Favourite Dog Breeds
on: December 26, 2007, 02:51:12 PM
It seems to me that a lot of threads have gone slightly of topic in recent weeks (shocking I know :D), so I thought it was about time for us to have a doggy thread :)

So what dogs have you got/had, what breed would you reccommend :), and any funny stories along the way :)

For my part my favourite breed of dog is the Tervuren...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belgian_Shepherd_Dog_%28Tervuren%29

I wouldn't reccommend one to a novice dog owner, but if you've had a fair few dogs in your time, and are prepared to invest the time and energy, I don't think there is a more rewarding dog out there :)

I also had until recently, one of these :)...

http://www.colliecorner.com/bm_a.htm

There a fine dog if you want an active dog, but that doesn't need working too hard (at least mine didn't) :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Favourite Dog Breeds
Reply #1 on: December 26, 2007, 03:34:08 PM
This may not come as much of a surprise to anyone, but I think that dogo argentinos or Argentine mastiffs are perhaps the most perfect dog, but like you said about the tervuren, they need an experienced handler.  I've only got experience with one dogo, Pete, as they are fairly rare here, but all I have read or heard about other ones makes me pretty certain he was typical of the breed.

Here's a great video of a dogo pup playing with a cat.  Pete used to do the same thing once the cats realized he wasn't a threat:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZWqG3KbikM&feature=related

I can't really say I have any breed preferences beyond that- I love my husky, but I'd love him if he was a lab or a boxer or a wolfhound or anything else.  I love dogs no matter the breed, but I guess I prefer bigger dogs over smaller ones.  Tiny little dogs are ok, but to really appreciate a dog you have to get at least thirty pounds of canine to throw around.  Jack Russels would be the exception to that though- there's more fight in those little terriers than most dogs ten times their size, and more energy than in the average nuclear reactor!  I wouldn't mind getting a Jack someday.

I like bulls- bulls, mollisers, mastiffs etc are great dogs, but again, are for someone capable of handling them.  A friend of mine has a 5 year old pit bull and he's a sweatheart... except that he not only outweighs her, but also dominates her.  She's terrified to do things like clip his nails because he'll bite her.  I could never have a dog like that, but fortunately, it's an easy fix if the owner is so inclined! 

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline yellowhammer

Reply #2 on: December 26, 2007, 05:36:56 PM
I'm a cat lover myself, don't really like dogs (*ducks under table*). Having said that, I do have a soft spot for Rhodesian Ridgebacks. When I were nowt but a lad there used to be one in my local archery shop. So strong and powerful, but with a heart of gold and very protective of children - to the point of not letting them cross the road if there were cars coming! :) He used to put his paws on your shoulders and you'd have to look up at his face as he drooled on you :D If I was to get a dog it'd be one of them ;)

Still rather have a cat/bird/snake/fish/giant African land snail though - dogs are too needy & clingy, and they all come across as slightly retarded... :pok:

I know, I know, don't start... :D
C

Reply #3 on: December 26, 2007, 05:39:32 PM
BURN THE HERETIC  >:D >:D >:D

Nah, I know dogs ain't for everyone :)

Offline Viper

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: December 26, 2007, 05:52:23 PM
I've only ever had one dog (a dachshund/ lab mix) but I really want to get a German Shephard. Maybe when I'm done with school.
[

Offline yellowhammer

Reply #5 on: December 26, 2007, 05:55:45 PM
...(a dachshund/ lab mix)...

I read this and all I could think was "How?!" :D
C

Reply #6 on: December 26, 2007, 05:57:55 PM
Me too :o

Offline Viper

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: December 26, 2007, 06:02:42 PM
Yes, he is quite interesting. I love him to bits though. His name is Bosco.

I'll see if I have a picture laying around.
[

Reply #8 on: December 26, 2007, 06:03:50 PM
The conception must have been interesting, so I bet Bosco is :)

Offline yellowhammer

Reply #9 on: December 26, 2007, 06:05:36 PM
A pic would be cool, I've got a mental picture of a daschund with the legs of a lab :D Although the other way round would look quite strange too :o
C

Reply #10 on: December 26, 2007, 06:09:41 PM
A pic would be cool, I've got a mental picture of a daschund with the legs of a lab :D Although the other way round would look quite strange too :o
Yeah it wouldn't it :D

Mind you mother nature has got a knack for making these thing work :)

Offline yellowhammer

Reply #11 on: December 26, 2007, 06:21:51 PM
There's a pub in Ilminster in Somerset that has a German Shepherd Lurcher - it's possibly the ugliest dog I've ever seen :o Children cry when it waddles into sight, seriously. Of course, being a pub dog it is also immensely fat. I quite sympathise with it to be honest :D
C

Reply #12 on: December 26, 2007, 07:59:38 PM
There's a pub in Ilminster in Somerset that has a German Shepherd Lurcher - it's possibly the ugliest dog I've ever seen :o Children cry when it waddles into sight, seriously. Of course, being a pub dog it is also immensely fat. I quite sympathise with it to be honest :D
Being a pub dog's a pretty good life if you ask me, no end of attention and all the pints you can drink :D

Offline Viper

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: December 26, 2007, 08:07:26 PM
I couldn't find a picture, so I'll try and take one today. He looks sort of like a golden lab, except smaller.
[

Offline kreskin13

Reply #14 on: December 26, 2007, 08:49:48 PM
I'm a collie man through and through. I would never even consider getting another breed. Funny thing is that I love all dogs. Every dog I meet I love playing with, but when it comes to owning one it's got to be a collie.

My four dogs have been:

Hunter, a white collie, named after the writer Hunter S. Thompson. He passed away at only eight from an enlarged heart. :( He was my first collie and I still miss him
Kaiser, a sable, named after an insurance company!! He lived to be fourteen, not bad. Great dog.
Seven, a sable, name comes from the "Seinfeld" TV show. He is one of my current collies, he just turned three on Christmas eve.
Binger, a blue merle, named because it just fits her. She is also one of my current collies, she is only about ten months old.
LOVE them collies!!

Calvin
[

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
  • Plants should be smoked, not eaten.
Reply #15 on: December 26, 2007, 09:35:59 PM
I like hound dogs. Basset hounds, coon hounds, blood hounds, basically if it has big ears and it's a bit lazy that's my kind of a dog.
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

It's hard to say nipple without smirking.

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #16 on: December 26, 2007, 11:04:49 PM
I don't currently have a dog, but I'm planning on getting a Saint Bernard next Fall :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Bernard_%28dog%29
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

Reply #17 on: December 26, 2007, 11:20:43 PM
I don't currently have a dog, but I'm planning on getting a Saint Bernard next Fall :)

Best remorgage the house to pay to feed it then mate, then build a shed to house all the dog food tins :D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #18 on: December 27, 2007, 02:08:39 AM
Not to mention a very big shovel!

Saints are beautiful creatures, but make sure to get him checked regularily.  Large frame dogs like that are susceptible to heart and hip problems.  Make sure as a puppy he/she gets LOTS of calcium to help build strong bones.

Plus, I'd visit an obedience class as early as possible, and work with the dog as much as you can, even after obedience class.  You have to have good control over a dog like that when they are small, because you won't be able to exert control over a dog when he's around 200 pounds.  Remember, a dog is roughly three times as strong as you are, pound for pound, which means a 200 pound dog is as strong as three 200 pound men.  Add four wheel drive and a lower center of gravity and you may end up going for a hell of a ride!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #19 on: December 27, 2007, 03:29:05 AM
I've got a pair of Schnauzers. They are certainly the most annoying creatures on the face of this earth. (I won't be rambling on about the good traits of this breed, because there aren't any)

(sigh) But I love 'em anyhow.  :angel:
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #20 on: December 27, 2007, 03:46:38 AM
Not to mention a very big shovel!

Saints are beautiful creatures, but make sure to get him checked regularily.  Large frame dogs like that are susceptible to heart and hip problems.  Make sure as a puppy he/she gets LOTS of calcium to help build strong bones.

Plus, I'd visit an obedience class as early as possible, and work with the dog as much as you can, even after obedience class.  You have to have good control over a dog like that when they are small, because you won't be able to exert control over a dog when he's around 200 pounds.  Remember, a dog is roughly three times as strong as you are, pound for pound, which means a 200 pound dog is as strong as three 200 pound men.  Add four wheel drive and a lower center of gravity and you may end up going for a hell of a ride!

Def

My girlfriend (fiance) has always had large breed dogs. (mostly Mastifs)  So she's the one that knows all about diets, vets, and obedience stuff...

I'm trying to learn as much about them as I can between now and when we get the puppy.  I've already contacted a couple of breeders about caring for the breed, and both of them have offered to let me come hang out at their places to get a good up close experience with the dogs.

If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #21 on: December 27, 2007, 03:50:51 AM
Good idea- nice to see you taking the time to get ready for a big dog rather than getting one to compensate for something like so many folks do!

Large breeds take a special touch, but the safety and security they offer makes it all worthwhile.

Def

Offline kreskin13

Reply #22 on: December 27, 2007, 10:14:48 AM

I remember when I was a kid, the people next door had a Saint Bernard. He was great! What a monster and as gentle as a Saint can be. Some dogs just stick in your mind even if they're not yours.

Calvin
[

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #23 on: December 27, 2007, 06:37:53 PM

Boston Terriers for me.  They're great companion dogs, and very intelligent.  The puppy pictured above is now 12 weeks old, is fully housetrained and rings a bell on the door when she needs to go outside.

- Terry

Reply #24 on: December 27, 2007, 06:43:00 PM
They look like characterful little dogs :)

I bet girls find them adorable >:D

Offline yellowhammer

Reply #25 on: December 27, 2007, 07:36:24 PM
Ahhh, even I think they're quite cute :) I've never seen a shaved gremlin before :D
C

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #26 on: December 27, 2007, 07:56:05 PM
Gorgeous dogs Terry- Bostons are great, stout little dogs, much bigger than their actual size!

Def

Reply #27 on: December 27, 2007, 09:34:51 PM
What were bostons used for originally ???

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #28 on: December 27, 2007, 09:49:21 PM
What were bostons used for originally ???

Fighting.  In the late 1800's, when the breed was first being established, they were larger, in the 25-40 Lb. range.  They have been bred solely for companionship for many years now, and most are now in the 15-30 lb. range.  They still carry over some of the character from the fighting days.  They are quite courageous for a small dog.  Calling them a terrier is really a misnomer, as they don't show many terrier traits, but more of the "bull and terrier" traits, as a pit-bull or staffordshire has.  Most of them are not hyperactive at all, as many terriers are.  The Boston Terrier is one of very few breeds that originated in the US, and is a cross between the English White Terrier, the Old English Bulldog (both now extinct breeds), and later the French Bulldog.

The 8-year old adult shown above (Layla) is a larger female at 23 lb.  The puppy (Moxie) is only 8 weeks old and 2.8 lb in that picture, but is now 5 lb at 12 weeks and will likely grow to be about 15 lb.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2007, 09:55:50 PM by NutSAK »
- Terry

Offline yellowhammer

Reply #29 on: December 27, 2007, 09:58:20 PM
Moxie looks like he could keep an eye on two assailants at once :D What does Moxie mean? Is it guts (as in intestinal fortitude), and a bit of front? For want of a better word, spunk? I'm not explaining this very well ::) Cojones?
C

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD