Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

My first Gerber MT is coming to town

us Offline Accujohn

• No Life Club
on: October 12, 2011, 04:46:45 AM
Found someone local selling their virtually new MP600 black/blunt MT they had in Iraq but didnt use. Im a die hard Leatherman guy for MTs, but I respect Gerber and wants to play wit it :)

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Re: My first Gerber MT is coming to town
Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 05:31:29 AM
Let us know how you like it when it comes in.  :tu:
I'm the milk man!

us Offline airballrad

• Gadget Addict
Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 05:41:08 AM
I am also far more a Leatherman guy than a Gerber guy, but the MP600 is a solid tool.  :tu:

us Offline Accujohn

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 07:35:54 AM
Wanna compare to MUT, which has asperations to be used in the military like the mp600

us Offline Accujohn

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 11:49:34 PM
Okay, here she is... straight from not getting used more than once or twice in Iraq. The owner ended up using a different tool and while it was in Iraq, it didn't see much use. Enter me, I love to rescue dogs AND unused multitools! They go together don't they? This is my first Gerber MT, and I wanted to compare it to the MUT. In a nutshell, it's no MUT... so I won't even try. It is however, a solid tool and very well made. I really wanted the tungsten carbide wire cutters which can be rotated 3 times before replacement. Nice idea! This is my first one-handed "gravity" pliers. I call it gravity because that's what it reminds me of: the old wwII gravity knives. If you have collected you might be familiar. Blade (and pliers) use gravity to drop out front of handle. The wobbling kinda bothers me at first but that's sort of the nature of the mechanism and it's very solid still and very fun to play with. My only real beef with the knife portion is the fact that to use the blade, you first have to deploy the pliers, then open the handle to pull out the knife, then close and retract the plier head. It makes me a little nervous to have an open blade while pulling back on the pliers to retract (hand moving in direction of blade other side of handle.) I guess you could leave the pliers out, but that seems clumsy. The other part about the blade is that it's a flat edged sheepsfoot style which just screams to be used to chop veggies or something. However, the blade, when you hold it in your hand is on the upper handle portion. So thee other (lower) handle half creates a clearance issue. I could illustrate all of the above if necessary, but all in all, I really don't mind the "issues" since it's a pretty cool, rugged tool. Also a great price. Definitely a user.
DSCN3252.jpg
* DSCN3252.jpg (Filesize: 93.81 KB)

us Offline Accujohn

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: October 12, 2011, 11:50:04 PM
1 more
DSCN3253.jpg
* DSCN3253.jpg (Filesize: 103.56 KB)

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: October 12, 2011, 11:54:34 PM
Good to hear you're happy with it John.  As you say, it's not really in the same classification as the MUT being a far more 'all-round' MT and only a fraction of the price. :)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #7 on: October 13, 2011, 03:28:56 AM
Unlike the MUT, the MP600 was designed as an EDC tool that was pressed into military service, while the MUT was designed for the military (and more likely the tactical crowd that will buy anything that looks like it could be MILSPEC!) and is somewhat dedicated.

The MP600 is also a staple for the Canadian Armed Forces, and lots of guys swear by them as a result.  There are many different variants, so I'm glad you got one with the cutters, which is one of Gerber's best inventions- and yes Leatherman guys, Gerber did it first!  :P

The MP series has always been very respectable, and while they are not without a few quirks remember that all tools have their quirks, and that's what makes them interesting.  I'd like to hear your thoughts on it after you've carried it a bit and had a chance to get used to it.

And if you don't like it, try one of the old pinchy handled Multipliers and see what you think of that!   :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Accujohn

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: October 13, 2011, 04:41:49 AM
I'll report back on how i like it after awhile. Overall i like it so far. I love the wire cutters and the gravity mechanism. Hard to stop playing with it :)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%