Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Crucial/Octane opinions?

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Crucial/Octane opinions?
on: May 13, 2011, 12:59:39 AM
Hey all,
I'm thinking about getting a small pocketable multi and saw both the Crucial and the Octane on sale near me. I was wondering if anyone had an opinion on either of these tools. Which might you recommend? Either? Neither? Both (please don't :))? Thanks!
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Re: Crucial/Octane opinions?
Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 03:04:22 AM
They both have their good and bad points. :-\ Without going into a ton of detail, the basic layout of both tools are fine, and the plier head on both are great too. :salute: (especially the Octane plier head!) :tu: In addition, the knife blades themselves are okay.

On the downside, the metal thickness used in the Octane handles is entirely too thin. :-\ It gives the whole tool a "cheap" feel. Even worse, the liner lock material used on both models is almost laughably thin. :P There is no need to do a spine whack, you can defeat the locks simply by pressing hard on the backside of the blade. :(

For light duty work only, I think either tool would be suitable. :salute: I'd probably choose the Octane just because I like the pliers so much. :) 
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 12:33:31 PM
To add to that, I would select the Octane about the Curcial due to handle geometry. My paws just can't find a happy medium with the shapes of the Crucial handles.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 10:53:52 PM
Thanks for the opinions, guys! I was at the store today, playing with the various multis....and promptly fell in love with the Skeletool. Appreciate the input, though!
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 11:13:41 PM
Great choice. it can't be much larger than the models you considered

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: May 14, 2011, 12:16:17 AM
Yeah, it's about the same size. Fewer tools, but that's really not an issue, I always have a SAK on me. The Skeletool just felt sturdier than either of the Gerbers.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #6 on: May 14, 2011, 01:48:08 AM
That it would.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #7 on: May 14, 2011, 03:20:13 AM
And you can add more screwdrivers

us Offline aduck

• New User
  • We can't stop here, this is bat country
Reply #8 on: July 12, 2011, 10:16:49 AM
I really liked the Octane a lot. It had a useful blade, decent 3D drivers and awesome angled sliding pliers (I fell in love with that design on my first gen Multiplier years ago), and the best pocket clip compared to the Skeletool.

I purchased the Gerber 1/4 bit driver kit for the Octane (or whatever it's called) because you can use it in combination with the Octane's flathead. It wasn't a perfect fit, but fine to use in those situations where you don't have a toolbox nearby and weight/space is at a premium. I think I paid $8.95 shipped for that kit on Amazon. That's a lot of versatility for the size, weight and money.

A few things annoyed me: the sliding pliers kept falling open in my pocket (and I didn't have my Dremel at the time to mod a fix), and the clamshell opener was dangerously sharp and exposed. I nearly nicked my finger on it several times. Yes, the liner lock is weak, but I've seen the Leatherman liner lock defeated just as easily. I'll admit that it does feel cheap compared to other higher end tools, especially with those plastic slider locks, and Gerber could have done a much better job.

I got rid of it because I didn't like the Red and I wanted to get the 1 ounce lighter Skeletool CX. I came to realize I just didn't like the Skeletool's small clip. Plus, I kept hearing stories about losing the mini-bits out of the side storage slot (that has not happened to me).

All things considered the Octane was a great buy for the money even with it's shortcomings. I'll be looking to pick up another one (in gray this time!) before the end of the year.

us Offline Mike 208

Reply #9 on: October 31, 2011, 03:00:51 AM
I bought an Octane almost exactly 1 year ago.  I really like the tool, but when I got it I found 2 problems - one was the knife blade wouldn't lock, unless the blade was "pulled down" slightly when opened (which allowed the lock to engage).  The second problem was (like others have mentioned) the jaws would slide out while in the pocket.  I figured the problem with the blade was just a small burr that would "work itself out" with use, and the problem with the sliding jaws was not an actual problem - just part of the design.  A year later, the blade still does not lock without pulling, the sliding jaws still slide out easily and now a 3rd problem developed:  Whenever the crosshead screwdriver is withdrawn, the "package opener" just drops out of the handle moves freely.  When the crosshead screwdriver is in the handle, the package opener is held firmly in place.  The reverse is not true;  When the package opener is locked open, the crosshead screwdriver remains inside the handle.  Because of this, I don't carry the tool anymore.  I guess I should send it in to Gerber, but since I have other tools that I can carry, I just haven't bothered.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: October 31, 2011, 08:09:18 PM
Given Gerber USA's awesome customer service, I'd send it in Mike.  No point in having a MT that's defective I'd say.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: November 02, 2011, 04:48:29 PM
Hey JD,

How's your Octane been working out for you?
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

ca Offline Beerplumber

• No Life Club
Crucial/Octane opinions?
Reply #12 on: November 02, 2011, 05:12:41 PM
Sounds like he got the skele. I did the same thing shopping for a crucial and bought a skele cx. I really like the skele and now the wingman is pushing the octane further down the line for me. I love the idea of the octane but it never finds its way into my pocket. It's just not tight and solid. Also I have yet to develop good cap lifting technique with the octane, cap gets lifted but it's by no means a smooth procedure. I can only recommend the octane if it's at a similar price to the wingman.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #13 on: November 02, 2011, 06:32:12 PM
I finally got the chance to have a little play with the Octane in a shop.  Not exactly a full workout of course but my initial impressions were good.  Certainly good enough for one to find it's way onto my 'wish list'. :)  Can't say the Crucial did the same. :-\
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #14 on: November 02, 2011, 07:42:23 PM
 :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

I like this thread but it's really not doing me any favours  :bnghd: I've been considering an Octane for a long time, way before my fall out with UK's customer service. It really sounds like this is a tool I'd love to bits or hate with a passion ... and I can't decide which.

I think so far I've gleaned the following ...

• Great pliers with a distinctly average wire cutter and weak feeling handles.
  • Very pocketable but with self deploying pliers which are fixable by Dremel.
  • Nice ergonimics - better than Crucial and Skeletool - other than the opening of the package opener which could also be a flesh opener.
  • Instant access bottle opener - but is either a bit shabby or needs a specific knack to work well.
  • Enough of a liner lock to give it legality issues in some areas, but not enough to be safe for those who need locking blades (a concept that still perplexes me  :P >:D ) and a combo edged blade to boot.
  • 3D Phillips and flat drivers don't seem to get much of a mention as overshadowed by pro's and/cons of other features, so good enough but not award winning.
  • Overall feels cheaper than it actually costs, but some folk love it all the same.

Am I on the right lines?

On the flip side with the Crucial ...
  • Skeletool style handles = avoid! (nullifies any other potential benefits)
At least we got one of the two cleared up nicely  :P :D :D :D

I think if I got an Octane, I'd get it with a view to making it better - time permitting (Yeah, right  ::) ). It's not like voiding the warrenty would be a great loss - but don't get me started  >:D Package opener looks like it could become an awl fairly easily if the package opener does cause any issues  :tu: Dremel attack the plier deployment for locking closed  8) Maybe lose the knife altogether and replace with scissors? That'd be great actually - but how?  :think:

Nah - that's still not helped me  :P :D :D

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: November 02, 2011, 08:45:53 PM
:ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

I like this thread but it's really not doing me any favours  :bnghd: I've been considering an Octane for a long time, way before my fall out with UK's customer service. It really sounds like this is a tool I'd love to bits or hate with a passion ... and I can't decide which.

I think so far I've gleaned the following ...

• Great pliers with a distinctly average wire cutter and weak feeling handles.
  • Very pocketable but with self deploying pliers which are fixable by Dremel.
  • Nice ergonimics - better than Crucial and Skeletool - other than the opening of the package opener which could also be a flesh opener.
  • Instant access bottle opener - but is either a bit shabby or needs a specific knack to work well.
  • Enough of a liner lock to give it legality issues in some areas, but not enough to be safe for those who need locking blades (a concept that still perplexes me  :P >:D ) and a combo edged blade to boot.
  • 3D Phillips and flat drivers don't seem to get much of a mention as overshadowed by pro's and/cons of other features, so good enough but not award winning.
  • Overall feels cheaper than it actually costs, but some folk love it all the same.

Am I on the right lines?

On the flip side with the Crucial ...
  • Skeletool style handles = avoid! (nullifies any other potential benefits)
At least we got one of the two cleared up nicely  :P :D :D :D

I think if I got an Octane, I'd get it with a view to making it better - time permitting (Yeah, right  ::) ). It's not like voiding the warrenty would be a great loss - but don't get me started  >:D Package opener looks like it could become an awl fairly easily if the package opener does cause any issues  :tu: Dremel attack the plier deployment for locking closed  8) Maybe lose the knife altogether and replace with scissors? That'd be great actually - but how?  :think:

Nah - that's still not helped me  :P :D :D

Overall I'd say you're pretty spot on with your assessment.  As long as you keep your expectations of it realistic, it's a fine little tool.  And the emphasis is on "little" here. 

The bottle opener does take some getting used to.  After playing around with it, I've found the best way to use it is to NOT try to wrap it around the cap.  Rather, use one side of the opener and fit it up under two or three of the little crenelations of the cap, press the other side of it down on the cap, and then rotate the tool along its long axis while also pushing down on the cap.  I found this give you a clean purchase and opens the cap fairly easily.  However, twisting the tool along it's long axis takes some getting used to.  And, I think people expect the cap to just pop off when you use it, like other standard bottle openers.  But the way the Octane's works, it won't do that.  To lift the cap off once it's opened, you need to continue rotating the tool along its long axis to pull the cap off the bottle.

To me, it doesn't feel cheap because it's flimsy.  It does flex a bit when bearing down on it, but I've never felt like I'm going to damage it by using too much force.  The metal in the handles certainly seems thick enough for the tool, it's just that, for mine at least, it's kind of loose... it tends to rattle a bit.  I've never had a problem with the liner lock on the blade though, and I've seen some pretty fecal Gerber liner locks...

The reason I got mine is because it's small, light, and inexpensive.  It has all the basics, and I've used it for cycling for quite a while now.  I have replaced it with a Crunch, which is smaller in volume, but definitely heavier.  I decided the locking jaws would be worth the weight though, and more useful for the kinds of things I have had to use an MT for when biking, like holding bolts while you tighten a nut on the other end. 
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: November 02, 2011, 11:16:33 PM
Hey JD,

How's your Octane been working out for you?
Funny you should ask, Heinz. BP, in another thread you'll see that I got an Octane later on. The Skele's actually long gone, traded away. Just saw that this thread has exploded suddenly. I still am loving the Octane, and am going to be doing a bit of work on the pliers to keep them locked closed. The Octane sees more carry time than any of my other tools, though the Wingman has seen a lot in the past few days. Once the newness wears off of it, we shall see. But the Octane just feels right in my hand. Is it perfect? Hell no. But who has found the PERFECT multi? (don't answer that, guys, don't have the money to spend!) The Octane works very well for what I use it for, doing the little things around the house and while out and about . The pocket clip is great, much better than the one on the Skeletool, IMO. The pliers work very well for their size. The self-deployment is a minus, but really just a small one. I haven't had any issues with the lock on the blade, and if I'm trusting the lock to keep me safe I'm being stupid with a knife. The phillips and flat drivers work just fine for what I need. The bottle opener takes some getting used to, but works for me just fine now that I've figured out my technique. To each his own, as with all things. But, paired with a SAK, usually a Super Tinker or Compact, the Octane makes the perfect EDC multi for me  :tu:.

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: November 03, 2011, 02:47:26 AM
Cool.  I was just curious.  I still really like mine, though I don't use it as much as I used to.  I've been considering throwing it in my hiking pack to be a dedicated tool for that, so I'll always have a pliers based tool in it should the need arise. 

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #18 on: November 03, 2011, 08:55:42 AM
I think the Octane needs to remain in my "for future consideration" pile rather than a wish list  :think:  I'll probably get one to try at some point, but I'll hang on for a bit till my Li'l Guppie arrives (first ever delayed order from Heinnie  :o :o ) and see where I go from there.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $139.46
PayPal Fees: $8.05
Net Balance: $131.41
Below Goal: $168.59
Site Currency: USD