Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SAK Rescue tool

Offline kreskin13

SAK Rescue tool
on: December 30, 2007, 12:19:39 PM
I just got a SAK Rescue Tool. http://www.irawoods.com/Victorinox-Swiss-Army-53900-Rescue-Tool-Knife-of-the-Year-2007-Yellow       I was surprised to see that the saw is a GLASS saw. I thought the teeth looked a bit strange and saw why when I looked at the instruction sheet and saw them cutting glass with it!  :ahhh  Anybody have any experience with this tool, especially the saw and the glass breaker?

Calvin
[

Offline yellowhammer

Re: SAK Rescue tool
Reply #1 on: December 30, 2007, 12:23:12 PM
I've not tried one, but Victorinox have a video of it in use here; http://www.victorinox.ch/index.cfm?site=victorinox.ch&page=118&lang=E&id=200701091536506968

Hope this helps some :)
C

Offline kreskin13

Reply #2 on: December 30, 2007, 12:37:47 PM
I've not tried one, but Victorinox have a video of it in use here; http://www.victorinox.ch/index.cfm?site=victorinox.ch&page=118&lang=E&id=200701091536506968

Hope this helps some :)

WOW, that is one cool video! How do I get my hands on some of the tranquilizers that guy in the car was on? :ahhh

Thanks for the link, looks like I need to keep a good pair of gloves with it! :o

Calvin
[

Offline yellowhammer

Reply #3 on: December 30, 2007, 12:44:06 PM
A pair of gloves and half a dozen cars to practice on! :D
C

Offline kreskin13

Reply #4 on: December 30, 2007, 12:51:55 PM
It looks like a great tool to keep in the car. Even if you ruined it after one use it would be well worth 50 bucks to save yours or someone else's life.  :sak:  How can you not love SAK's?

Calvin
[

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #5 on: December 30, 2007, 08:36:02 PM
It looks like a great tool to keep in the car. Even if you ruined it after one use it would be well worth 50 bucks to save yours or someone else's life.  :sak:  How can you not love SAK's?

Calvin

you can replace the glass saw and window breaker . I got to have a look at one a couple of weeks ago and was very impressed with it .

dunc

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: December 30, 2007, 10:55:35 PM
Whoops, I posted this in another thread too. :-\

Calvin

you can replace the glass saw and window breaker . I got to have a look at one a couple of weeks ago and was very impressed with it .

dunc

I thought maybe there would be some more interchangable blades by now

(to substitute in for the glass breaker and the glass saw)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: December 31, 2007, 08:23:05 AM
I've been trying to get my hands on a Rescue tool for a while, but can't find anywhere that sells them :(

Offline kreskin13

Reply #8 on: December 31, 2007, 10:09:31 AM
I've been trying to get my hands on a Rescue tool for a while, but can't find anywhere that sells them :(

Here is where I got mine.

http://www.irawoods.com/Victorinox-Swiss-Army-53900-Rescue-Tool-Knife-of-the-Year-2007-Yellow

They have a lot of SAK's and some nice Victorinox sheaths to fit just about any size SAK.

Calvin
[

Offline jock1

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: December 31, 2007, 11:56:23 PM
The glass saw started me thinking about one for work I recently had to take out a window with my baton ,effective but what a mess it took ages to clean up.

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #10 on: January 01, 2008, 01:04:35 AM
I recently had to take out a window with my baton ,effective but what a mess it took ages to clean up.
                   But one heckuva great stress buster wasn't it? :D
I

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #11 on: January 01, 2008, 09:53:17 AM
The glass saw started me thinking about one for work I recently had to take out a window with my baton ,effective but what a mess it took ages to clean up.

The glass saw would only work on laminated glass  ( like a car windscreen ) , toughened glass would burst into a million bits when you started sawing and float glass  ( normal glass ) would crack and break and you would run the risk of an injury .

Dunc

Offline jock1

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: January 01, 2008, 11:46:26 AM
Cheers Dunc
You have saved me money on a Rescue Tool Iwill just have to spend on something else tool related :D
Happy New Year

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #13 on: January 01, 2008, 11:53:32 AM
Cheers Dunc
You have saved me money on a Rescue Tool Iwill just have to spend on something else tool related :D
Happy New Year

Your welcome  :D   Just get a Swisstool and bash your way through  :D

Happy new year mate

Dunc

Offline toytoy

Reply #14 on: January 01, 2008, 05:37:33 PM
Can I just use a coarse wood saw (large and coarse teeth) to cut open a windshield?  I noticed that the saw teeth are arranged in a L-S-S-L- pattern (large/small tooth) but the distances between two adjacent teeth are somewhat irregular.  Can I use just about any L-shaped steel (e.g., a mighty pipe wrench) and brute force to chop open a windshield?

00 Offline Dtrain

• "Southbound Whatchya Leave Behind Ya?"
Reply #15 on: January 07, 2008, 02:12:06 AM
I got mine several months back from FelineVet.I have not had to use the GlassSaw,or the Window punch.I have tried out the SeatBelt cutter and the the OH blade on several rachet straps at work.I am quite certian that as long as I can get at the seatbelt I will have no problems cutting it.I carry mine every night I drive a Truck for a living and having to self extricate is a serious concern in the event of an accident.I try not to use it that much,to save the blades edges for when I really need them,however, when I need to cut something quick I have not hesitated on using it.

It is a pretty neat knife,it is perfect for my application,a Rescuetool that is easily transportable,compact,easy to use.The only problem I have had was how to carry it,the Vic sheath is great,but a bit loud.After trying a few different options I have settled on a knife/single mag case from Bianchi's AccuMold line.

Dtrain
"It seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time"

Offline kreskin13

Reply #16 on: January 07, 2008, 02:33:27 AM
Dtrain, you're right about that sheath being loud. I like it in case of after an accident if I'm not able to use it myself, someone else will be able to spot it. I keep it in plain sight in my car for that very reason.

Calvin
[

00 Offline fivesense

Reply #17 on: July 04, 2017, 02:45:31 AM
The forum suggested I start a new thread as this one is more than 150 days old but I figured I'd just add to this one as it's nothing earth shattering.

I just received my two Rescue Tools today. They'll go straight into the glove box of my vehicles, but I gave them a good once over. Nice solid tool, good ergos. Color and sheath are certainly eye-catching. Hopefully these will become safe (glove box) queens and never need to be used!

I pulled out the toothpick and promptly dropped it through the crack in the deck.  :rant: Rather than pull up the 2x6 I undid a wire hanger and put some duct tape on the end. Recovered!  :cheers:
FullSizeRender-21.jpg
* FullSizeRender-21.jpg (Filesize: 427.56 KB)
Use your tools and enjoy the Zen of maintaining and sharpening them.

Consider donating a couple bucks to this site. There is no better knife or multitool site anywhere on planet internet.

hr Offline Vjeko Posavac

Reply #18 on: September 22, 2017, 04:05:36 PM
I don't use it much, but it's good to know it's ready for work
1.jpg
* 1.jpg (Filesize: 82.18 KB)

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: September 22, 2017, 10:55:48 PM
I keep one in the console of my car. I have a total of 4 Rescue Tools.

I used a black Magnum marker and colored the sheathes black.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #20 on: September 23, 2017, 09:34:21 AM
If you want the non-OHO version, I suggest you move ahead and buy one soonish, as they are no longer in production.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #21 on: September 23, 2017, 12:29:26 PM
If you want the non-OHO version, I suggest you move ahead and buy one soonish, as they are no longer in production.
We're less than three months shy of the quoted post from seamonster being 10 years old.  :D
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #22 on: September 24, 2017, 06:35:02 AM
We're less than three months shy of the quoted post from seamonster being 10 years old.  :D
:rofl: You think he got a rescue tool in-between...

Show content
hmm this being MT.O he probably got 3
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #23 on: September 24, 2017, 11:39:15 AM
:rofl: You think he got a rescue tool in-between...

Show content
hmm this being MT.O he probably got 3
:D
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99