Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What do you Drive?

mvyrmnd · 1479 · 88142

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Re: What do you Drive?
Reply #1290 on: December 19, 2020, 04:56:32 PM
Bjørn Nyland agrees:

You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #1291 on: December 19, 2020, 05:05:21 PM
Bjørn Nyland agrees:

That's an impressive system.  :tu:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #1292 on: December 19, 2020, 05:26:40 PM
Let me add one feature that has blown me away: the pixel LED headlights. Each headlight features 84 individual LEDs that are controlled individually. You can always use the high beams: approaching vehicles and cars driving in front of you are "shaded out" automatically. It works really, really well.

https://www.polestar.com/uk/polestar-2/safety/

My wife's car has halogen lights which are OK. I owned a Volvo with xenon headlights that swiveled around corners: those were very good. Then I had auto-dimming, swiveling LED headlights on my previous car and I thought those were genius. But the Polestar's headlights are just ridiculously well engineered :drool:

My VW Golf R wagon also has these fancy matrix LED headlights.  It is really, really neat how it blanks out individual segments of high beam to avoid dazzling cars in front of you but still gives good illumination elsewhere which gives me a fighting chance of seeing any kamikaze kangaroos and wandering wombats in time to avoid hitting them. If they just had a bit more throw (distance) they would be perfect, but I suppose It is too much to expect from a semi-budget car.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

ca Offline Altis

Reply #1293 on: December 19, 2020, 11:39:08 PM
A250. None of these are my actual photos but car looks identical (except the night shot has a black interior).

Absolutely love this car. Only wish they gave it a bit more ground clearance for Canadian roads/winter.

And the second vehicle, CBR500R:

nl Offline glenfiddich1983

• aka "G-Fiddle" and "Glen-Fizzle"
Reply #1294 on: December 23, 2020, 10:12:01 AM
My Polestar 2 just arrived :)

(Image removed from quote.)

My charging station was installed a few weeks ago so the car is charging as we speak 8)

Very nice!  :drool:

Not jealous at all!  ::)
[--- arms length ---] (-.-) 

^-- where the cat sits

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #1295 on: December 23, 2020, 12:22:33 PM
Very nice!  :drool:

Not jealous at all!  ::)
And, can it reach my place on a single charge? :rofl:

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #1296 on: December 24, 2020, 09:33:20 AM
The Francoromanian penny car miracle, Dacia Duster 2016.

Στάλθηκε από το MAR-LX1A μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #1297 on: December 24, 2020, 12:25:59 PM
The Francoromanian penny car miracle, Dacia Duster 2016.(Image removed from quote.)

Στάλθηκε από το MAR-LX1A μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

If that's the Black Shadow edition, we have the same car :D

Mine is just a year jounger.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #1298 on: December 24, 2020, 01:00:04 PM
If that's the Black Shadow edition, we have the same car :D

Mine is just a year jounger.

I'm sure you're a happy customer like I am. I don't remember the Edition, it is Gen I, after the face-lift, full extras, 1.2 Tce 2x4.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #1299 on: December 24, 2020, 02:39:43 PM
I had a promotion.
I'll have to hand over my company van in February and take a car instead.

Sadly, it's seen quite some distance already, so I'm hopeful they'll replace it with a new one soon.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #1300 on: December 24, 2020, 03:40:45 PM

I'm sure you're a happy customer like I am. I don't remember the Edition, it is Gen I, after the face-lift, full extras, 1.2 Tce 2x4.

Yup, full extras alu rims, just a different engine, diesel. 1.5

br Offline Hevy (CT-782)

• No Life Club
Reply #1301 on: December 24, 2020, 10:02:01 PM
Yup, full extras alu rims, just a different engine, diesel. 1.5
That's a good and reliable car.
It's sold here as Renault Duster.

Enviado de meu moto g(6) usando o Tapatalk

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #1302 on: December 25, 2020, 12:31:53 PM
And, can it reach my place on a single charge? :rofl:

Barely!
In the summer perhaps :)

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #1303 on: December 25, 2020, 12:32:41 PM
I had a promotion.
I'll have to hand over my company van in February and take a car instead.

Sadly, it's seen quite some distance already, so I'm hopeful they'll replace it with a new one soon.

Congrats on your promotion. Nothing wrong with a FoFo :)

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #1304 on: December 25, 2020, 08:53:49 PM
That MB A250 is a sharp looking car. Front, all or rear wheel drive?
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

ca Offline Altis

Reply #1305 on: December 25, 2020, 10:50:45 PM
That MB A250 is a sharp looking car. Front, all or rear wheel drive?

AWD ("4MATIC")... works absolutely perfectly in the snow, except it won't let you have any fun (can't disable stability control or traction control entirely, only put it in "sport" which feels about the same). Also the car is pretty low to the ground -- apparently they're all lowered here in Canada.

Otherwise it's a near perfect car for me (well, manual transmission would have been nice). Does much better on fuel than I had expected. The interior lighting feels very cyberpunk.  :cheers:

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #1306 on: December 26, 2020, 10:33:45 AM
What's the point of interior lighting? Black light (UV) is harmful for the eyes, especially for the cornea. This is a bad thing when driving. Other than that, Mercedes is the greatest car brand ever (considering trucks also) but I find BMW sexier and Audi/VW more all around practical.

fi Offline old Lefty

• No Life Club
  • Brick Bradford of multitool universe
Reply #1307 on: December 26, 2020, 02:58:33 PM
AWD ("4MATIC")... works absolutely perfectly in the snow, except it won't let you have any fun (can't disable stability control or traction control entirely, only put it in "sport" which feels about the same). Also the car is pretty low to the ground -- apparently they're all lowered here in Canada.

Otherwise it's a near perfect car for me (well, manual transmission would have been nice). Does much better on fuel than I had expected. The interior lighting feels very cyberpunk.  :cheers:
There's no esp off button in a-klasse? Pity. However, in c or e it also does that stupid euro-german thing were 'off' is not really off. Just a bit more leash. Idiotic and dangerous methinks. Well, at least it gives enough freedom to turn the car around with gas when steering input is kept within engineers parameters.

Lähetetty minun SM-T515 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

by this axe I rule

ca Offline Altis

Reply #1308 on: December 26, 2020, 08:33:41 PM
There's no esp off button in a-klasse? Pity. However, in c or e it also does that stupid euro-german thing were 'off' is not really off. Just a bit more leash. Idiotic and dangerous methinks. Well, at least it gives enough freedom to turn the car around with gas when steering input is kept within engineers parameters.

Yep, definitely irritating that it can't be turned off. In deep snow especially, I don't want it applying brakes trying to gain traction when what you need is to keep momentum and digging your way through. Plus it's no fun if you can't do controlled drifts because, like you say, the only way to do it is keep the steering into the corner as counter-steering will force it to brake the inside wheels and cut the power.  :twak:

ca Offline Altis

Reply #1309 on: December 26, 2020, 08:37:04 PM
What's the point of interior lighting? Black light (UV) is harmful for the eyes, especially for the cornea. This is a bad thing when driving. Other than that, Mercedes is the greatest car brand ever (considering trucks also) but I find BMW sexier and Audi/VW more all around practical.

There's no UV lighting  :dunno: it's just RGB LEDs all over the dash, footwells, door handles, cupholders, etc. You can turn them off (or certain groups off) if you don't want to use them.

I actually find they reduce the glare of the instrument panels (the two large screens) by having even/normalized light across the car. What causes me eye strain is when there's a bright spot surrounded by darkness because your eyes cannot adjust for both. By having most of your visual scene at a similar light level, your eyes can be adjusted.

If I'm driving in the countryside at night for more than say half an hour, I'll switch them to red which is much easier on the eyes, but the blue/purple looks striking in town where all the roads are lit.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #1310 on: December 26, 2020, 09:47:49 PM
Thanks. Red is the proper color for night vision, many brands use it on the instrument panel, like VW. Mine has an orange hue, which is close. From the picture I misjudged thinking there was UV light. They put it here in aftermarket, usually young people on their GTis, for show off. Tragic. It looks like driving a mobile strip club.

ca Offline Altis

Reply #1311 on: December 26, 2020, 10:01:17 PM
Thanks. Red is the proper color for night vision, many brands use it on the instrument panel, like VW. Mine has an orange hue, which is close. From the picture I misjudged thinking there was UV light. They put it here in aftermarket, usually young people on their GTis, for show off. Tragic. It looks like driving a mobile strip club.

Black light would be awful. I'm pretty sensitive to light and glare, but to my surprise the ambient lighting actually makes it better by means of light normalization.

I do miss cars that turned off the low-beams when the high-beams are on as that massively helped with glare for me as well, since low-beams create a bright spot in your main vision when you're trying to look farther ahead.

fi Offline old Lefty

• No Life Club
  • Brick Bradford of multitool universe
Reply #1312 on: December 27, 2020, 09:25:48 AM
Yep, definitely irritating that it can't be turned off. In deep snow especially, I don't want it applying brakes trying to gain traction when what you need is to keep momentum and digging your way through. Plus it's no fun if you can't do controlled drifts because, like you say, the only way to do it is keep the steering into the corner as counter-steering will force it to brake the inside wheels and cut the power.  :twak:
The 'off' setting gives certain freedom for a slide if streering input is slow enough. Any attempt to de-stabilize with steering is a no-go. Slip angles up to say 45 - 50 decrees can be had with carefull handling. Only tiny, slow Scandinavian flicks, major ones are a no go. As soon as any braking happens you are only a fraction away from engine cutting, and that indeed is annoying and potentially dangerours.

Can you left foot brake the A? Most current fwd's cut fuel when break is applied, another tool removed from the box by safety nannies if you ask me

by this axe I rule

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #1313 on: February 06, 2021, 12:54:31 PM
Polestar 2 in vacation mode :rofl:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #1314 on: February 06, 2021, 01:25:39 PM
Polestar 2 in vacation mode :rofl:

(Image removed from quote.)

Nice.  I wonder what all that does to the range? ;)

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #1315 on: February 06, 2021, 01:56:53 PM
Nice.  I wonder what all that does to the range? ;)

Luckily the trip was only 60km :)
The roof box is fairly aerodynamic but the bikes have a huge impact on the range. Especially with those child seats :)

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #1316 on: February 09, 2021, 08:37:16 PM
I'll be very interested to hear how you get on with that Polestar.  I'm very interested in my next vehicle being electric, but I do have some concerns about surviving a Canadian Winter, especially since I sit in my car a lot to keep warm.

Cold weather often adversely affects batteries (my phone lasts a lot longer in the summer than winter) and all electric heat (vs waste heat energy from a motor) would be fairly consumption.

I'm interested in the new electric F-150 that is supposed to come out next year (2022 model) but I also see that the new Ford Mach E is priced a heck of a lot better than the F-150 will be.  The Mach E (I have a hard time referring to a 4 door SUV as a Mustang  :ahhh) looks to be about half the price of the F-150, but then considering the gas savings I am likely to have....

Of course, there is also a new, all electric Jeep being teased right now too....

All in all, I would like to have at least 5000 lbs towing capacity, and so far I think that means F-150.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #1317 on: February 09, 2021, 09:18:58 PM
I've wondered a few times over the last year why I bothered buying an AWD car...and then it snowed.  :D

I'm not going to say that good driving can be replaced by AWD but it certainly doesn't hurt either.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #1318 on: February 10, 2021, 01:55:42 PM
Wish it was this: Batman Tumbler.

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #1319 on: February 10, 2021, 02:04:45 PM
I'll be very interested to hear how you get on with that Polestar.  I'm very interested in my next vehicle being electric, but I do have some concerns about surviving a Canadian Winter, especially since I sit in my car a lot to keep warm.

I'm interested in the new electric F-150 that is supposed to come out next year (2022 model) but I also see that the new Ford Mach E is priced a heck of a lot better than the F-150 will be.  The Mach E (I have a hard time referring to a 4 door SUV as a Mustang  :ahhh) looks to be about half the price of the F-150, but then considering the gas savings I am likely to have....

So far it's OK but there's this pandemic going on... so I'm working from home which means no visits to clients. Yes, range is affected by the cold weather. Also, the heating consumes a lot of power so better to pre-heat the car whilst charging.

Mustang Mach-E was on my shortlist as well. I really like that car and it's a bit cheaper than the Polestar (well, the 2WD version with the smaller battery is). But it was not available before 2021 which was a priority for me.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $36.34
PayPal Fees: $1.66
Net Balance: $34.68
Below Goal: $265.32
Site Currency: USD
 12%