Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Favorite Multitool and WHY!

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Favorite Multitool and WHY!
on: January 08, 2008, 11:29:06 PM
Since the forum has a lot more members from my first fav. tool post. So heres a new one! Pick you Favorite Multitool and WHY!

You may actually be suprised. Since I don't have a SURGE anymore-until my fiance lets me! My new favorite tool is the LM Charge TTi. It has basically everything my SURGE has plus a gut hook. I really miss the big scissors, awl, and blade exchanger though. I like the s30v steel on the TTi and the titanium is a big turn on! How bout you guys?
B

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Re: Favorite Multitool and WHY!
Reply #1 on: January 08, 2008, 11:44:59 PM
My favourite Multi is the one I don't have yet  :P

00 Offline Dtrain

• "Southbound Whatchya Leave Behind Ya?"
Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 01:04:11 AM
I'll get back to you in the Morning on this one.It will give me something to think about tonight as I drive my truck.
I have not had a TON of Multi tools but a few.Each has had their pluses and minuses.If Def reads this maybe he can link something that made it up over at SOSAK online.It says it better than anything.

Dtrain :multi: :tool: :climber: :sak:
"It seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time"

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
  • Plants should be smoked, not eaten.
Reply #3 on: January 09, 2008, 02:00:06 AM
At the risk of sounding like a broken record I'll post.

Until yesterday it was my LM Kick. Now it is my Vic Spirit S. I like the Kick. It's a great basic multi-tool for someone who doesn't need a lot of tools and doesn't have a lot of money. But like I said, it's a little basic, I didn't like that I had to open the handles to get to the tools. It had all the tools that I use often but I wanted a few more. If I go camping I have a little saw, I now have an awl etc etc. The Spirit, despite being heavier, is more pocket friendly. The Kick has some rough edges that may tear up some pockets but the Spirit is so smooth I can have it in my pocket even when I'm dressed in "Sunday go to meeting clothes".

Leatherman makes good tools but I have never been overly impressed with the steel that they use for their knives. The Vic, of course, has superb steel that won't rust. It's easy to open and close the tools, sometimes when my arthritis is bugging me some tools are hard to open or are in some other way not friendly to sore hands. I doubt this will be the case with this.

THAT is why the Spirit S is now my favorite tool. 
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

It's hard to say nipple without smirking.

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #4 on: January 09, 2008, 02:53:28 AM
And unlike the Kick, the Spirit locks!

Mine is still the SOG black Powerlock. 

The Leatherman tools I own (and have owned) don't exude the same toughness as the Powerlock.  Same with the Gerber tools (all 600 series')...both Leatherman and Gerber are great tools, but if I had to bend back metal or break a hole in a wall, I'd go for the SOG.  Oddly enough, I think it's SOGs' Paladin tool line that has a new plier head designed to bust a hole in drywall :P  There's no real weakness with the SOG.  It doesn't have outside opening blades, or one handed blades...but I count those as "added features" of a multitool.  And I coulden't trust the flick out pliers of the Gerber to bang on something with, but I'd count that as "abuse". :D
[

00 Offline Dtrain

• "Southbound Whatchya Leave Behind Ya?"
Reply #5 on: January 09, 2008, 03:34:40 PM
I'll get back to you in the Morning on this one.It will give me something to think about tonight as I drive my truck.
I have not had a TON of Multi tools but a few.Each has had their pluses and minuses.If Def reads this maybe he can link something that made it up over at SOSAK online.It says it better than anything.

Dtrain :multi: :tool: :climber: :sak:

As it stands after a night of reflection I will go with my SwissTool X.Up to the aquistion of my X my favorite had been my Leatherman SuperTool(Original version).It like my SwissTool was a heavy duty tool,built for hard use.The only real thing that I did not like was the lack of Scissors.I would have gladly given up the Serrated blade for scissors,or the awl.

I have used the Wave(Original)version,and while I felt it was a good tool it was not as heavy duty as the Super.I tried a Supertool 200,but was diapointed by the new handles.They were a bit more comfortable,but quite a bit more bulky,and still no scissors.

A few years back on my way back from a family vacation at the "House of the Mouse" we stopped at SMKW.I was looking at the new Leatherman's.To me the changes and price increases did not add up.A salesperson suggested that I look at the offerings from Victorinox.

When I was shown the X it was the model for me.It had the biggest thing that I felt the Super's were lacking,scissors.I liked the locking mechanism,and the overall size.It is my favorite tool and the one I carry and rely on.It does have a few shortcomings in my opinion,such as a shorter needlenose than the Leatherman,but they are minor.

Even though,the Leatherman's are not my favorite,I would not hesitate to rely on the models that I have carried.I have worked them pretty hard,and they have not failed to get the job done.My Leatherman's have both found homes with my two sons.

:sak: :climber: :tool: :multi:

Dtrain
"It seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time"

Offline jock1

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: January 09, 2008, 05:42:53 PM
I ahveowned a couple of multi tools but my fave has to be my ST it's the only one where I have never had the feeling I am going to break it .I have a touch like a gorilla and a low tolerance for frustration it has lead to the death of several household objects ,tools and an ASDA Bar-b Q that pushed me too far :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

Offline TWBryan

Reply #7 on: January 10, 2008, 11:46:35 PM
    So far,the victorinox Spirit S.
T

us Offline GMArthur

Reply #8 on: January 11, 2008, 02:37:22 AM
Being quite biased having carried the same tool for the last 11 years - I'm going to say LM Super Tool.

Having said that I'm now carrying a SOG Powerlock. My LM ST is getting some R&R along with some modifications. I figure after 11 yrs of service it's the least I could do for it. The SOG Powerlock is very nice in it's place and I can see why it has such a following. SOG makes a very fine MT.

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #9 on: January 11, 2008, 02:38:49 AM
Yes I am very pleased by the PowerLock. What is toughest job you have been forced to handle with your SuperTool>
B

us Offline GMArthur

Reply #10 on: January 11, 2008, 03:46:35 AM
My Super Tool took most of it's beatings while I worked for a HVAC company fixing and installing furnaces, AC units, and duct work. I hated wearing a heavy tool belt so everything that could be done with a MT was done with a MT. Nowadays I work in a factory fixing machinery. I have a tool box on wheels so it's much easier having the correct tool and not beating a hole in the side of a furnace to attach a plenum with my LM.

You would be amazed what you can do with a tool when you're up in some body's attic or in some body's crawl space and all you have is your MT on your belt. Sure it could be easier going to the truck and getting the right tool, but by the time I'd do that I'd be done already.

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
  • Plants should be smoked, not eaten.
Reply #11 on: March 16, 2008, 03:48:03 AM
Bump
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

It's hard to say nipple without smirking.

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #12 on: March 16, 2008, 04:12:21 AM
Maybe more than a few....
B

us Offline Pacu

Reply #13 on: March 16, 2008, 04:59:36 AM
For years it was my trusty Gerber 600. I carried it through the grocery store years and at my job building Best Buys infastructure. Now since i bought my wAvE it is by my side everyday.

I loved the Gerber one hand opening. The wAvE has the blades on the outside that open with one hand and that beats out the Gerber as i use the blades more than the pliers.

Sooner or later i'm gonna try one of those SOG Paladin for data-com and see if it works to my liking.
:like:    :MTO:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD