Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Why is the keyring not standard on all alox?

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
on: December 04, 2011, 11:36:00 PM
I've been ordering a bunch of silver 93mm alox lately.  I got in a rancher, harvester and some solos and they don't have the key ring.  I looked online and noticed that only the pioneer and farmer do have them.  I much prefer to have it as lanyard carry is my preference.  Anyways, I was wondering though, is there a reason not all models have it?   It doesn't matter too much as I an add one when I customize, but I was just curious if there was a reason.

PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Re: Why is the keyring not standard on all alox?
Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 12:49:24 AM
They do it to make us geek guys n gals upset ;)
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline tattoosteve99

Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 01:02:12 AM
Some do some don't. It's just the way they do things. On another note soldier models don't have them. Some might. Also some have the bail. It may be a different model # to keep up guessing. The solo doesn't have one cause there's no room (liner spacer)
If I remember correctly, wait, what was I saying?

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 01:54:15 AM
Some do some don't. It's just the way they do things. On another note soldier models don't have them. Some might. Also some have the bail. It may be a different model # to keep up guessing. The solo doesn't have one cause there's no room (liner spacer)

You're right, Steve; some Soldiers do technically have lanyard rings, I think most of those either were stamped 95 or 07 (or maybe 06), and were mostly sold through Lee Valley.  I think there is the rare screwup, too.  Kinda like the factory error blank Wenger SIs - not the modern, no number SIs. :tu:

us Offline stressmaster5000

• No Life Club
  • No PM's - just email please
Reply #4 on: December 05, 2011, 02:08:50 AM
Alox chips so easily when keys are attached to a ring right next to the knife. I also noticed that Wenger Snife models were sold new in the box without a key ring although there is an attachment point for it. The keys really beat them up.

gb Offline user24

• SAK collector and all-purpose geek
Reply #5 on: December 05, 2011, 09:24:14 AM
some Soldiers do technically have lanyard rings, I think most of those either were stamped 95 or 07 (or maybe 06)
I have an old red alox with '99 stamped blade and keyring. I was under the impression that this is a actually a pioneer, but just that they used a soldier blade in it.

From the wonderful Sakwiki:
three subtle cosmetic differences [between the Pioneer and Soldier]; first, the logo on the scales is different; second, it does not have the year of production stamped on the tang of the main blade; third, on the opposite scale from that with the logo (bottom), the Pioneer has a small flat area meant for engraving.

Mine has the keyring, vintage red alox scales, 99 stamped blade, and no engraving panel.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 09:26:35 AM by user24 »
"Nothing endures but change" - Heraclitus.

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #6 on: December 05, 2011, 04:04:00 PM
some Soldiers do technically have lanyard rings, I think most of those either were stamped 95 or 07 (or maybe 06)
I have an old red alox with '99 stamped blade and keyring. I was under the impression that this is a actually a pioneer, but just that they used a soldier blade in it.

From the wonderful Sakwiki:
three subtle cosmetic differences [between the Pioneer and Soldier]; first, the logo on the scales is different; second, it does not have the year of production stamped on the tang of the main blade; third, on the opposite scale from that with the logo (bottom), the Pioneer has a small flat area meant for engraving.

Mine has the keyring, vintage red alox scales, 99 stamped blade, and no engraving panel.

(Image removed from quote.)

The ones I'm talking about had Soldier scales, a Soldier blade, and a lanyard ring. ;)  They were actual Soldiers, just with the keyring, not other alox models with Soldiers blades used on them. :)

cz Offline Rahmed

Reply #7 on: December 05, 2011, 08:07:55 PM
I see ;)

nl Offline jan.

Reply #8 on: December 05, 2011, 08:46:55 PM
Four the same SAK's, Pioneer silver, Pioneer black, Soldier, Settler.

ch Offline victor7000

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: December 06, 2011, 07:37:52 PM
I've been ordering a bunch of silver 93mm alox lately.  I got in a rancher, harvester and some solos and they don't have the key ring.  I looked online and noticed that only the pioneer and farmer do have them.  I much prefer to have it as lanyard carry is my preference.  Anyways, I was wondering though, is there a reason not all models have it?   It doesn't matter too much as I an add one when I customize, but I was just curious if there was a reason.

The reason is, some people like knives without keyring other like the keyring ...   ;)  and years ago Victorinox produced most models with and without ring and you could choose. But since some years Victorinox is reducing the Alox model palette continuously. Today on the regular Alox line only Pioneer and Farmer have the ring. Specialruns are an exeption.

@jan. Very nice lineup  :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $36.34
PayPal Fees: $1.66
Net Balance: $34.68
Below Goal: $265.32
Site Currency: USD