Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Byrd Tern vs Wings Slipit vs UKPK

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Byrd Tern vs Wings Slipit vs UKPK
on: December 07, 2011, 09:06:24 PM
My latest knife acquisition landed this morning, the Byrd Tern.

For me this is a very welcome addition to an all too limited array of “modern” non-locking folders. I suppose the main thing that people will be wanting to know about it is how does it compare to it’s more famous cousin – the UKPK

I’m too much of a tease to get straight to the point on that one, so a little background on my knife philosophy. Regional legalities aside, non-locking is the way I prefer to go for any folding knife. If that’s not safe for the job I need a fixed blade. I don’t trust locks, and they just slow me down and frustrate me. I do like a pocket clip at times though, along with the ability to open the blade one handed.

My preferred pocket knife based on the above is the Byrd Wings Slipit. Smaller than the locking version, I find that it’s an ideally sized clipped, one hand opening  folder for general utility tasks. For me this is the benchmark against which other folders are measured. The fact it also has a serrated second blade is a bonus – but a side issue for this comparison. 

My first impressions on the Byrd Tern were positive. The G10 feels good in hand and offers plenty of traction for a utility knife, and the blade opens smoothly but positively. I knew my Wings Slipit needed sharpening so I switched the two knives over immediately. The first time I went to use it, I switched them back! The Tern was duller than my much used Wings. Later I grabbed a sharpening stone from my EDC bag and two minutes later the Wings was back in action – the Tern on the other hand took about 10 minutes to get a reasonable edge.

The Wings backspring has by far the most positive action of the three, but is also the slowest to deploy. On opening the Tern does feel and positive than the UKPK, but offers less resistance to closure. I think the backsprings are comparable, and it maybe the fact that the backspring on the Tern is shorter that gives this impression. The engagement notch doesn’t seem as deep on the Tern hence easier to close, but there may be some factory gunk in there as the spring doesn’t quite sit back all the way down when the blade is open. It’s not enough to photograph, but enough to feel.

The Tern is sized smaller than the UKPK and similar to the Wings, with a coarser “tread” to the G10 scales than the UKPK – that said it is actually slightly less grippy. The more observant amongst you may have noticed other little differences. The UKPK has jimping above the blade on the thumb ramp, whereas the Wings is jimped below. The Tern on the other hand has jimping above and below. The jimping on the Tern also feels slightly more aggressive (but comfortably so) than the other two.

There are other differences as you look around the tools. The more pedantic will notice that the fit and finish of the backsprings and scale edges is noticeably better on the UKPK – but this has no detrimental effect in use.

The clips are also different. The UKPK rides the deepest, followed by the Tern and then the Wings. All feel secure when clipped, and I’ve never had any fears about losing the Wings so it’s really a matter of how you wish the blade to look in pocket.

From a looks perspective the Tern still has the look of a UKPK which many (including myself) is not a people friendly look. I personally feel the bolsters on the Wings, and that modified sheepsfoot do soften the look a little, and I may still choose that over the Tern if going somewhere there are people who are not familiar with my knife and tool affliction. If that's a majore hurdle, forget all three of these and get a SRM H02

That said, the Tern gets a lot of things right. I feel the size is better for me than the UKPK, which is on the verge of being too much blade for day to day use. The steel is one I can touch up on the go (as already proven), it's full flat ground which for me is the way to go, and the blade shape is very good for general cutting tasks. It's basically a bloody good UKPK clone for a quarter of the price, and I'd be more inclined to carry it over the UKPK for the size, the jimping, and the ease of maintenance.

I'm glad I got it, and it will get carried and used (more than the UKPK) - but the Wings doesn't need to be worried about being retired just yet - it just might have slightly more frequent/longer rest periods

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Re: Byrd Tern vs Wings Slipit vs UKPK
Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 09:25:41 PM
Nice comparison.

I bought one of the locking Wings a couple of months ago, and it's become one of my favorite knives.  I'd like it even better if the liner lock on it was a bit thicker though, but it still locks up quite solidly.  I haven't been able to break either of the blades loose at all.  The G10 on it is okay, pretty much identical to that on the Tenacious, etc., but I've come to prefer the bi-directional FRN handles.  They're lighter, and to me they offer better grip.  It's now my dedicated camping / hiking / backpacking knife; I put the holster on the waist strap of my backpack, so whenever I grab my pack to go out for a hike or the like, I've always got it with me.

In fact, I've come to like it so much, I was thinking about getting one of the Dyad Jr's.  I've been considering something like a Ladybug for keychain carry, but now the new Jester is coming out, and I like the shape of the blade much better.  But then again, it's almost as much as the Dyad Jr., so if I'm going to spend $60+ on a keychain knife, why not just pony up the extra few bucks and get the Dyad Jr.?
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

us Offline Ashley

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • AKA Knife Crazied
Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011, 10:30:19 PM
Good review! :2tu:

gb Offline Craig

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: December 07, 2011, 10:49:42 PM
Nice review. Interesting thoughts on the locking v non-locking issue  :tu:
Prone to daydreaming.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: December 07, 2011, 11:49:58 PM
Nice one Al. :tu:  When the UKPK first came out I just couldn't justify the cost and got myself a CRKT Edgie (and still a good knife IMO). The recent FRN UKPK is better priced, but I'm not a fan of the hollow grind, so the Tern really does seem to be the knife that I was hoping for when Sal first started talking about the UKPK over on BB all those years ago. :)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #5 on: December 08, 2011, 12:32:58 AM
Thank you for this great comparison review. :tu: It answered all the questioned I had about this little gem. I recently got a UKPK for a song :D so I wasn't sure I would be interested in the Tern any more but the size factor and the fact that it's FFG has got me hooked. It'll have to wait for now cause I had a few additions that hurt my bank account but I'm getting one for sure. I wish it rode a bit deeper but I can live with that. As for the factory gunk, yes, there might be some. The last Cara Cara I got didn't feel right so I disassembled it for cleaning and even found a small metal shard in it. I cleaned it up, oiled it and it worked perfectly. I'd recommend a thorough cleaning for sure. I just wish they came in a few colour choices. :D

Oh yea, I tend to carry non-locking blades too. And I'm alowed to carry a locking blade of any length here. I've been using slippies for more than 20 years and still have all my fingers. :D It teaches you how to blade safety. :tu:
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 12:36:51 AM by enki_ck »

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: December 08, 2011, 12:36:51 AM
Thanks guys  :salute:

Interesting thoughts on the locking v non-locking issue  :tu:

Cheers  :cheers: It's a stance I've taken for many years. I've probably received more nicks purely closing locking blades than I've ever had using slippies. Locks are EVIL things! To me they're equivalent to thinking I can ram anything I like because my car's got airbags. Billy Connolly's idea of fitting sharpened spikes to steering wheels pointed at your throat is maybe going a tad too far the other way though  ;)

Nice one Al. :tu:  When the UKPK first came out I just couldn't justify the cost and got myself a CRKT Edgie (and still a good knife IMO). The recent FRN UKPK is better priced, but I'm not a fan of the hollow grind, so the Tern really does seem to be the knife that I was hoping for when Sal first started talking about the UKPK over on BB all those years ago. :)

The Edgie was my first non locking OHO clipped knife too - but I haven't a clue where it's gone  :( To be honest though, good as it is, it isn't a patch on any of these three IMHO  :-\ (or the SRM H02 for that matter) The hollow grind is the primary reason I've avoided the FRN UKPK options too (even if the maroon does look good). It is quite well done on the Wings though, high enough and shallow enough to not deviate too far from flat  :)

Thank you for this great comparison review. :tu: It answered all the questioned I had about this little gem. I recently got a UKPK for a song :D so I wasn't sure I would be interested in the Tern any more but the size factor and the fact that it's FFG has got me hooked. It'll have to wait for now cause I had a few additions that hurt my bank account but I'm getting one for sure. I wish it rode a bit deeper but I can live with that. As for the factory gunk, yes, there might be some. The last Cara Cara I got didn't feel right so I dissasembled it for cleaning and even found a small metal shard in it. I cleaned it up, oiled it and it worked perfectly. I'd recommend a thorough cleaning for sure.

Thanks for the kind comments  :salute: The current action is no deal breaker, but at some point I will give it a good going over with an oily rag and perhaps a bit of fine emery to see if I can refine it a little. It's perfectly secure enough when open for my use and I've certainly had softer actioned backsprings before, it's just not quite got the potency of the other two
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 12:41:00 AM by 50ft-trad »

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: December 08, 2011, 12:40:36 AM
Oddly I can't find my Edgie right now either. :think:

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: December 08, 2011, 12:52:49 AM

It heard you were thinking of another knife, got jealous and ran off.  How terrible.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: December 08, 2011, 12:54:50 AM

It heard you were thinking of another knife, got jealous and ran off.  How terrible.

I was only thinking about being unfaithful, we all do that, right? :-[

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: December 08, 2011, 04:49:28 AM

Look, I just come up with the drunken theories - it's your job to make them fit, okay?

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: December 09, 2011, 10:45:53 PM

Look, I just come up with the drunken theories - it's your job to make them fit, okay?

well, happily, I found it in my desk tidy, sulking. ::)  I had to promise not to buy a Tern until after Christmas before it agreed to come out and do some work. ;)

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: December 10, 2011, 01:40:29 AM
Glad it turned up mate (was tempted to type Terned - but didn't want to scare it off again  ;) )

Well the Tern has been in my pocket since it landed, and I think it might be winning a little more pocket time than originally thought  :tu:

That's subtle code for you need to get one and try it as soon as poss - in case you missed it  :P

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD