Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SwissTool Newbie Questions

us Offline turnsouth

• No Life Club
  • There is no spoon
SwissTool Newbie Questions
on: December 31, 2011, 06:00:31 PM
Since getting my SwissTool RS in a trade with Al last summer, I've been using it more and more, and I just had some questions for the SwissTool veterans:

• The tool came new oiled from head to toe, and I gave it a good wipe down when I got it. But now as I have been using it I am getting foreign material in the pivots that crunch a little when opening and closing the implements. My question is: Is the tool dishwasher safe?
  • Second question is along the lines of the first, and has to do with the pliers pivot. From new the pliers have opened easily and smoothly, and I was just wondering why is that? Are they built with some type of bushing in the pivot, or is there grease in there that would wash out with a heavy cleaning?

Thanks
Never underestimate the power of the fleece

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Re: SwissTool Newbie Questions
Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 07:10:36 PM
They are totally dishwasher safe  :D just watch out nothing gets flung around inside the washer that could scratch the red logo . Just dry it off and re-oil . No special grease is used . When you say pliers pivot do you mean the ones in the handle or the actual one in the pliers ? either way it makes no difference , just clean out the dirt , dry and re-oil then enjoy lol

us Offline Chain Gang

Reply #2 on: December 31, 2011, 07:20:33 PM
I use a shallow pan filled with hot water and Dawn dish soap.Let soak about an hour and rinse with hot water.I let it air dry and shoot some WD40 to displace any water that may be left.I then lubricate with mineral oil.Never a problem.

us Offline turnsouth

• No Life Club
  • There is no spoon
Reply #3 on: December 31, 2011, 07:34:50 PM
They are totally dishwasher safe  :D just watch out nothing gets flung around inside the washer that could scratch the red logo . Just dry it off and re-oil . No special grease is used . When you say pliers pivot do you mean the ones in the handle or the actual one in the pliers ? either way it makes no difference , just clean out the dirt , dry and re-oil then enjoy lol

Good to know  :tu:

I'm talking about the actual one in the pliers themselves. Like I said they came with an almost velvety smooth action, but have almost no side to side play. Which had me thinking that either they were heavily inside the pivot, or that hers is some type of bushing in there.

Thanks Dunc  :salute:

us Offline turnsouth

• No Life Club
  • There is no spoon
Reply #4 on: December 31, 2011, 08:21:23 PM
....I let it air dry...

Speaking of which, what is the "rust factor" on one of these? I know that SAK's are pretty much rust proof (except for the salt water soaked ones I've seen), but I was wondering if there are any concern areas on a SwissTool that a person might want to pay attention to?

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #5 on: December 31, 2011, 09:18:12 PM
With a Swisstool rust is way down on the list , no worries there . As for the plier pivot , its just good swiss engineering  ;)

us Offline Singh

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: January 01, 2012, 06:06:55 PM
yes you can throw it in the dishwasher, but I'd rather not.

If my swisstool got really dirty, I'd soak it in mineral spirits and give it good scrubbing. Let it dry, then oil it with mineral oil.

us Offline turnsouth

• No Life Club
  • There is no spoon
Reply #7 on: January 01, 2012, 07:50:29 PM
I've been really liking the SwissTool more and more as I use it, the only issue with it that I've had is gripping the pliers. The inherent "slippiness" of the polished steel, combined with the different width of the sides of the handles, has always made it try to work its way out of my hand, unless I grip it "just right".

But this thread has seemed to solve the problem :tu:

I ran it through the dishwasher, and you know what? It's like a totally different tool in my hand :D. You know how when you run stainless steel through a dishwasher and it sometimes gets (what I would call) "micro pitting"? Well, the ST came out this way. It's still shiny, but has lost it's original "glass like" mirror finish, and you have to look under a magnifying glass to see the change in the surface, but this has increased the "grippyness" 10 fold, and it doesn't even try to work its way out of my hand any more :tu:

So, as long as I keep the polish away from the handles, it looks like the ST may well become a daily companion :)

The only bad thing is that now I'm starting to feel compelled to obtain all the different varieties of ST's (as well as back-ups) :ahhh

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #8 on: January 01, 2012, 08:18:41 PM
I'm glad that that helped the grip, but that sounds odd.  I wouldn't think running it through the dishwasher would be able to do that  :think:

What kind of detergent did you use?
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

us Offline turnsouth

• No Life Club
  • There is no spoon
Reply #9 on: January 01, 2012, 10:18:59 PM
I use Finish Powerball Tabs

Ingredients are:
  • Sodium tripolyphosphate
  • Sodium carbonate
  • Sodium percarbonate
  • Sodium silicate
  • Cellulose
  • Citric acid
  • Alcohol
  • Protease enzyme
  • Amylase enzyme
  • Fragrance 2 mixture
This combined with our extremely hard water has always taken the shine out of stainless steel.

au Offline MultiMat

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • The MTO handshake.
Reply #10 on: January 02, 2012, 03:23:28 AM
I pocket carry my Spirit X & yep over time opening the tools becomes a real pain & I chuck mine into the dishwasher & it is so much nicer to use afterwards  8) 8) 8).

I have bought a couple of 'used' Swisstools that have had rusty files but the rest of the tool has been fine.

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

us Offline turnsouth

• No Life Club
  • There is no spoon
Reply #11 on: January 06, 2012, 06:35:17 PM
Another question: Does Vic make a SwissTool sheath that rides a little lower on the belt?

I like the standard one, and I like vertical carry, but it rides about 1 inch above my belt and rubs my fat roll.

I only need one that rides about 1/2 inch lower.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD