Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Would you carry a Solo?

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Would you carry a Solo?
on: January 13, 2008, 01:00:58 PM
I've just spent the greater part of several hours looking at fancy slips, and I find myself wondering - Would you carry a Victorinox Solo as a dedicated plain edge folder over other such knives on the market, or is the SAK charm only in its many functions?

I don't think I would - though the decision is made a little tougher when considering Alox or custom scales.

Offline yellowhammer

Re: Would you carry a Solo?
Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008, 01:06:24 PM
I would and do :D The Alox Solo is one of the sweetest little EDCs I've found, especially if I'm in a suit and don't want bulging pockets - SWMBO calls it my 'wedding knife' :D

The 108mm model is a nice knife too, just a touch big for EDC in my mind. People use them as steak knives when camping it seems. Here are my two;

C

Offline kreskin13

Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008, 01:09:57 PM
I've just spent the greater part of several hours looking at fancy slips, and I find myself wondering - Would you carry a Victorinox Solo as a dedicated plain edge folder over other such knives on the market, or is the SAK charm only in its many functions?

I don't think I would - though the decision is made a little tougher when considering Alox or custom scales.

Yes I would. SAKs charm extends from the simplest to the gargantuan that most of us just can't get enough of. For myself, I've carried a classic of some sort for as long as I can remember (I gotta have those scissors). No matter what other knife/multitool I carry I need that simple SAK also.

Calvin
« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 01:35:10 PM by kreskin13 »
[

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #3 on: January 13, 2008, 01:38:59 PM
I would as well.  Although for just a small increase in size you could carry a soldier or SI and have a load more functions.
I'm back!!

Offline kreskin13

Reply #4 on: January 13, 2008, 02:12:20 PM
I would as well.  Although for just a small increase in size you could carry a soldier or SI and have a load more functions.

Well, you may (or may not) be getting a humble classic with your camera. The package (and I mean PACKAGE) may (or may not) also contain a neat little keychain pouch for that classic (if indeed you're getting one). :ahhh

I think I win for the most parenthetical references in one post! :D

Calvin
[

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: January 13, 2008, 02:15:42 PM

Well, you may (or may not) be getting a humble classic with your camera. The package (and I mean PACKAGE) may (or may not) also contain a neat little keychain pouch for that classic (if indeed you're getting one). :ahhh

Calvin

:D LOL! :D

Erm... thanks! (I think!)  :D
I'm back!!

Offline kreskin13

Reply #6 on: January 13, 2008, 02:26:11 PM

Calvin

As I mentioned before, look carefully through all the packaging. What may seem like bubble wrap might just contain something. Oh and also look through ALL the pockets in the camera bag. ;)

Calvin
[

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: January 13, 2008, 02:28:05 PM

Calvin

As I mentioned before, look carefully through all the packaging. What may seem like bubble wrap might just contain something. Oh and also look through ALL the pockets in the camera bag. ;)

Calvin

Not that there is anything in the bag of course!!  ;) ;) :D 

Cheers Calvin, I will be sure to check everything very carefully.  :)
I'm back!!

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #8 on: January 13, 2008, 04:06:39 PM
I don't think I'd carry a Solo.  Not as long as I had my Pioneer which is only one layer bigger and has more functions.

[

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #9 on: January 13, 2008, 07:22:05 PM
I wouldnt carry a Solo . Nothing thinner then a Soldier for me .

dunc

Offline Tom Munch

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: January 13, 2008, 08:55:48 PM
If I carry a single blade it has to be a one-hander or lock, so no single blade SAK for me, thanks.

Offline Tom Munch

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: January 13, 2008, 08:57:18 PM
I forgot about the Wenger Ranger.  That one would work.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #12 on: January 13, 2008, 10:19:08 PM
There's absolutely nothing wrong with a Solo, but for the size I'd sooner carry something with more utility :) (I don't carry any single bladed knives anymore)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
  • Plants should be smoked, not eaten.
Reply #13 on: January 14, 2008, 12:28:15 AM
If I'm carrying a single blade I want a lock on it. But I RARELY do that. I'm pretty used to having a SAK or a multi-tool.  :multi:
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

It's hard to say nipple without smirking.

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #14 on: January 14, 2008, 04:49:14 AM
I'd likely carry an Alox Solo for dressier occasions,if I wanted to change out from the Alox Bantam.
I

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #15 on: January 14, 2008, 05:30:14 AM
I probably wouldn't carry an ALOX Solo due to the thin frame, but I frequently carry a 108mm Solo Plus matched with my Swistool Spirit.
- Terry

Offline jock1

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: January 26, 2008, 11:50:31 AM
I personally wouldn't as I'm to used to my Swisschamp for edc the slimmest I will go is my Vic Climber I like plenty :climber:

us Offline Swiss Man

• No Life Club
  • WIFE APPROVED
Reply #17 on: January 28, 2008, 11:13:33 PM
I like the Solo but I think for the extra features and a little extra length one ought to go with the Alpineer.

Same thickness as the Solo but with a corkscrew /mini driver, toothpick and tweezers.
Not to mention the lock on the blade.  And the very important keyring.  ::)

us Offline Splat

Reply #18 on: January 29, 2008, 12:04:51 AM
I agree with Tom. If it don't lock, or isn't a fixed blade, then I won't carry it. Again, memories of a bad cut from a slipjoint when I was a kid are coming back again........  :o :(
Splat

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #19 on: January 29, 2008, 05:55:41 AM
I definately would, as a non-scary knife. But right now there is no such need so I'm sticking with my kershaw/spyderco.

Offline scibeer

Reply #20 on: February 08, 2008, 05:42:50 AM
Nothing wrong with a Solo.   I would still carry at least an executive with it though.

One hand solos ROCK!

* OHS POST 4.jpg (Filesize: 42.25 KB)

* OHS POST 2.jpg (Filesize: 54.37 KB)

* Natural micarta Solos 006.jpg (Filesize: 55.69 KB)

us Offline Gadget Guy

• No Life Club
  • <*();::::::::;~
Reply #21 on: September 30, 2009, 08:46:39 AM
I thought I would bring this one back and see if anyone has changed their mind after all this time. I plan to carry a vintage solo as part of my edc rotation. I find that much of the time I only need a single blade for most of my cutting tasks. I don't like to pull out a tactical folder all the time, and I usually carry a multi in my man purse. I love the Pioneer, but I'm going to give the alox solo a try.  :tu:

BTW, where can I buy the plastic/nylon Victorinox Solo's? I need a bunch of them and I want them to be as cheap as possible.
Sometimes change is a good thing, other times not so much!

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: September 30, 2009, 01:19:37 PM
Personally , I wouldn't . A Soldier/Pioneer/SI is about the minimum for me . The only single bladed stuff I still carry is my Strider PT . Thats basically for playing ruff , not something a Solo is suited for .

Even my Cadet and alox Bantam have become drawer queens in need of a good home . They just don't have a good/secure hand feel to me .

Chris
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 01:22:07 PM by Styerman »

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #23 on: September 30, 2009, 03:18:12 PM

BTW, where can I buy the plastic/nylon Victorinox Solo's? I need a bunch of them and I want them to be as cheap as possible.
Have you email Tim mate ???
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline grimm_kaosboy

Reply #24 on: September 30, 2009, 04:27:49 PM
I agree with a couple of others here, if I'm going to carry a single bladed knife I want a decent sized folder with a clip and blade that locks.
To me swiss army knives have always been "utility knives". To wit, serves a broader spectrum than just cutting things. I carry a minichamp on my keys. Swisschamp and Swisstool in  pouches on my belt.
About as small as I would go would be either my black executive or red compact. For business or formal leaning to the exec, otherwise the compact.
T

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #25 on: September 30, 2009, 04:29:13 PM
Scribber, if I wanted the exact same thing you made....that one handed solo with custom scales and a clip. What would I have to do? Beg?

ca Offline ufox9al

Reply #26 on: September 30, 2009, 05:36:30 PM
Scribber, if I wanted the exact same thing you made....that one handed solo with custom scales and a clip. What would I have to do? Beg? (Image removed from quote.)
Or, if you could live with factory scales, you can just get the PE OH SOlo with clip from Tim: http://felinevet.sosakonline.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=1107&category_id=541a03b2b0e1b6dbd972e9f5af5ca992&option=com_phpshop&Itemid=1
;)
-------
Alexei

Offline Nathan

Reply #27 on: September 30, 2009, 07:07:36 PM
I wouldn't carry a Solo. For me, a SAK is a multitool which offers a range of tools and not only a single blade. Also, I rarely carry a single bladed knife only. I would prefer a combo of a SAK and a bigger single bladed knife.

Offline heavy handed

Reply #28 on: September 30, 2009, 07:18:51 PM
ive carried a solo for a few years and i have become quite attached to the little fellow. its easy to sharpen and takes a nice edge and i dont mind using it in a dirty enviroment, and its a nice cheap legal edc for me which is a plus. :tu:. and its also slim and light enough for wearing shorts, with no extra bulk.
 :)

Offline HighlandPark

Reply #29 on: September 30, 2009, 08:41:01 PM
i carried a 108 solo for a long time ... along with my pbj spirit in order to have a decent blade. sometimes as a solo + to add the corkscrew.
as dressknife i always carry a alox bantam with my name engraved. just great.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%