Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SAK screw driver questions.

5hif7y · 30 · 5938

gb Offline 5hif7y

• tooled up
SAK screw driver questions.
on: January 04, 2012, 03:32:40 AM
haya all

im a noob to SAK's (big leatherman user). and im starting to get into SAK's, i really like the alox models. so far my favourite SAK is the tinker. mainly because i dont feel like i can go without a phillips head screw driver. i also have almost no use for a corkscrew, i understand its good for undoing knots and storing the mini screwdriver but i prefer a phillips.

so my questions is, how many models are there that have the phillips head instead of the corkscrew. and if that isnt many then how many have good screw drivers.

im aware of the explorer, cybertool, supertinker and delux tinker but are there any others i should add to my wish list?

cheers in advanced for the answers.
-----5hif7y-----

us Offline bren10man

Re: SAK screw driver questions.
Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 04:44:44 AM
http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php

Do your search for answers here....have fun!!!!
MOLON LABE!

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 04:48:03 AM
http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php

Do your search for answers here....have fun!!!!
i was just going to post that lol
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 12:04:46 PM
The tinker  :D  but a few have in line pkillips like the explorer + swisschamp, most do seem to have the corkscrew  :-\ larger 111mm versions like the Trailmaster and locksmith have a phillips instead of CS  not sure what else  :think:

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 12:15:46 PM
I prefer the in-line phillips. The back layer screwdriver isn't nearly as effective.
If you want to go Wenger there are quite a few of SAKs with that tool, some disco'd some not. Here is a mod I did a few days ago. It comes on the same layer as the universal wrench, for me a better choice than the magnifying lens like on the Vic Explorer.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 01:34:25 PM
 :drool: Very nice mate  :tu:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012, 01:45:33 PM
Some different  sugestions:

For something smaller try the 84mm small Tinker

For something larger try the 111mm new Soldier (or Master).

Note that, dispite the difference in size between these two the size of the Philips screwdriver is the same.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: January 05, 2012, 04:02:28 AM
From WengerLand,have a look at an EvoGrip18,especially in yellow,or go old school,with one of these
http://www.bondsoflondon.com/catalouge/moredetails.asp?id=2078&cid=28,I have 2!Also Motorists are good!

I very much agree with you about the need for the Philips driver,in one for or another.
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #8 on: January 05, 2012, 04:12:08 AM
From WengerLand,have a look at an EvoGrip18,especially in yellow,or go old school,with one of these
http://www.bondsoflondon.com/catalouge/moredetails.asp?id=2078&cid=28,I have 2!Also Motorists are good!

I very much agree with you about the need for the Philips driver,in one for or another.
Agree on the EvoGrip 18, just got one on Sunday and I'm loving it. Just be sure you don't get the S version if you order online, that's the locking blade. A Phillips is one of my most used tools, and a must for my SAKs, with very few exceptions. For 99% of what I need, the back mounted driver works fine.
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline Mike

• No Life Club
  • Shop smart, shop S-Mart.
Reply #9 on: January 05, 2012, 04:25:43 AM
Don't forget, the can opener also works on phillips screws.

Mike
Common sense ..... so rare, it's virtually a super power.

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #10 on: January 05, 2012, 04:27:18 AM
Don't forget, the can opener also works on phillips screws.

Mike
True, and that's one reason I don't mind carrying my Farmer all the time. However, most Wengers, with the exception of the SI, don't have that option on their can openers.
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #11 on: January 05, 2012, 09:52:36 AM
Also, I forgot to add,  some 58mm victorinox models come with an inline philips (Minichamp, Manager etc) but it is really onlyfor emergfency use, on small headed screws.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: January 05, 2012, 11:11:16 AM
 :ahhh just found another one Fieldmaster  like a huntsman but with a phillips instead of a CS  :tu:

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #13 on: January 05, 2012, 12:40:45 PM
larger 111mm versions like the Trailmaster and locksmith have a phillips instead of CS  not sure what else  :think:

Several 111mm models have an inline Phillips (2 different sizes) :tu:
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

gb Offline Pignut71

Reply #14 on: January 05, 2012, 02:09:03 PM
:ahhh just found another one Fieldmaster  like a huntsman but with a phillips instead of a CS  :tu:

I like that! Is it still made though, can't find it on the web?

Regards, Jon

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: January 05, 2012, 02:12:21 PM

Regards, Jon

according to the wiki no  :tu:

http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Fieldmaster

gb Offline Pignut71

Reply #16 on: January 05, 2012, 02:17:08 PM
Well, I must be a lucky boy then because I just found a new one on Amazon uk (once i had corrected my poor search criteria) and it's on it's way to me!

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: January 05, 2012, 02:18:25 PM
Well, I must be a lucky boy then because I just found a new one on Amazon uk (once i had corrected my poor search criteria) and it's on it's way to me!

:tu:  out of interest and if you dont mind me asking how much was it  :tu:

gb Offline Pignut71

Reply #18 on: January 05, 2012, 02:21:59 PM
No worries Zed, it was £29.95 plus £4.95 p&p.

Regards, Jon.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: January 05, 2012, 02:22:32 PM
No worries Zed, it was £29.95 plus £4.95 p&p.

Regards, Jon.

:tu:  cheers mate,

this will keep you going  :D

gb Offline Pignut71

Reply #20 on: January 05, 2012, 02:31:33 PM
Thanks for that. Looks like a nifty tool, can't wait to get it now. Interesting reading some of the comments on that you tube link. Sounds like it wasn't made available in Europe, only in the US? If so then I really am a lucky chap!

I think I might swap the scales to black and put the red ones on my very old and trusty Explorer??

Regards, Jon.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #21 on: January 05, 2012, 02:34:54 PM
Thanks for that. Looks like a nifty tool, can't wait to get it now. Interesting reading some of the comments on that you tube link. Sounds like it wasn't made available in Europe, only in the US? If so then I really am a lucky chap!

I think I might swap the scales to black and put the red ones on my very old and trusty Explorer??

Regards, Jon.

I got some black scales with the huntsman so might give them a try  :tu:
here is the huntsman i got today, same as the fieldmaster but with a CS  :tu: also this one is before 91 as no hook,

us Offline kmanct3

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: January 06, 2012, 04:35:49 AM
or if you are really crazy about phillips like i am you could find a master gardener or electrician !

us Offline Donald

Reply #23 on: January 08, 2012, 06:30:16 AM

Discontinued as is the Yeoman which adds scissors. SwissBianco has done some recreations of those models though.

Here is a picture of the Yeoman (top with black scales, Compact is below with red scales). Sorry I was demonstrating the pen under the hook for someone, not the Philips. :) This Yeoman plus was one done by SwissBianco.

Here is a modified knife bought as an Explorer Plus (added saw) but it is really more like a layer reduced Champion. At some point after the pictures I switched the scales to plus scales to add a pen. It bugged me to buy a cellidor knife as a "plus" that did not have the pen and for the size I wanted as many features as possible if I was going to carry it. It is pocketable, but a little on the big size for all the time. It weighs 4.1 ounces or 116 grams, is 24mm or 29/32" wide/thick, and as one of the 91mm Vic SAK's is 3.5" long.

us Offline kmanct3

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: January 08, 2012, 02:18:31 PM
That is the perfect knife IMO !

gb Offline 5hif7y

• tooled up
Reply #25 on: January 08, 2012, 10:26:24 PM
great pics there. that does look like a quality SAK.
-----5hif7y-----

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #26 on: January 08, 2012, 10:34:33 PM
Are you sure that's a modified SAK? It's the same as the (discontinued) Woodsman :)
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

us Offline Donald

Reply #27 on: January 09, 2012, 01:44:00 AM
Yes, if you look at the pictures you will see an additional backtool that the Woodsman would not normally have, a small screwdriver. It also would not appear on an Explorer. Thus, although I bought it as an " Explorer Plus" referring to the addition of the saw blade and not also the scales, it is really more of a stripped down Champion. Unfortunately, it was not a Champion Plus. Of course as I mentioned, it is now a better knife, as I added a plus scale to get the pen. With such an otherwise complete knife it seemed a shame not to have that feature.

Thanks for asking though. A 91mm Woodsman is a fine knife. Since Champion Plus knives can often be had for a reasonable amount, it would be a good modification to make and relatively simple for experienced modder's. If one is getting it to be a user, it is probably more cost effective, especially if one can do it themselves.
 :climber:

----------
By the way, how does one post a proper hyperlink on this board. The button does not really do it. I had to manually insert the ones for the Woodsman. I used another forum to create it, but looking at it, I suppose one only needs to manually add a "] after the link, then the term one wants such as Woodsman, before the final bracket forward slash url close bracket code. The latter part would already be there.

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: January 16, 2012, 02:36:34 AM

Regards, Jon

Hold On!! Just were on SAKwiki does it say it is no longer available?  I don't see that anywhere.

The Fieldmaster is still out there as far as I know, and I don't see it going away anytime soon.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 02:40:36 AM by ICanFixThat »

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #29 on: January 16, 2012, 10:09:02 AM

Regards, Jon

Hold On!! Just were on SAKwiki does it say it is no longer available?  I don't see that anywhere.

The Fieldmaster is still out there as far as I know, and I don't see it going away anytime soon.

Oops its the old version i got it mixed up with sorry  :-\

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD