Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Rethinking my sheath options on the farm

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
on: January 05, 2012, 10:26:17 PM
For the last year or so, I've been using an off the shelf CLC sheath around the farm.  It allows me to put my phone, Vic Farmer, flashlight and a couple of bit cards in it.  It's not ideal though, since it's fairly bulky but it accomplishes a major goal--protect my bigAss smartphone from cracking its screen.

After looking at misscase530's sheath setup, I'm considering using two smaller sheaths, one just for the phone and one for tools.  The upside:  less bulky.  The downside: I move closer to a Batman utility belt.

Honestly, what would be ideal is having the ability to pull the phone's SIM card and putting it in a small pocketable handset.  As far as I know, this isn't an option in the US.  (Anybody know for sure?)

Anyway, I'm going to try a different configuration in the upcoming weeks and see if it works better for me.  If anyone has gone from one honkin' big sheath to 2 smaller ones, feel free to chime in here. :D

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Re: Rethinking my sheath options on the farm
Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 12:56:42 AM
Honestly, what would be ideal is having the ability to pull the phone's SIM card and putting it in a small pocketable handset.  As far as I know, this isn't an option in the US.  (Anybody know for sure?)

I can't know for sure (not living in the States), but I can't see why that wouldn't be an option anywhere... ???

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 03:25:44 AM
As long as the new phone support your carrier's signal band and is unlocked, I don't see why not. Even your carrier may sell some cheap dumbphones that will work, so call them and see what options do you have available.

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 06:22:50 PM
If you remain with the same cellular carrier, they may be able to clone the data for you into the new, smaller phone.
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 06:25:40 PM
I'm with Verizon and they don't currently use SIM cards for domestic service.  I'll have to see what my options are with them.

ca Offline Beerplumber

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: January 06, 2012, 07:06:47 PM
Don't you mean the upside is moving closer to batman utility belt?

Stay multi my friends

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD