Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

People at SHOT- 2012 Edition

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
on: January 18, 2012, 08:31:32 AM
Hera er some of the people we've bumped into so far, starting with the Woodsmonkey guys, Tim Stetzer and Spen Stelzer.

Bob wasn't as thrilled about that so he immediately sped off to find a nice little red head.

I finally managed to meet Ken Onion- I always seem to have just missed him, but not this time!

I also got to meet James Williams- another great designer for CRKT.

Then over lunch we had a nice chat with some gentlemen from Greenland, but somehow they weren't important enough to get in the picture!  You probably already know these two guys!

Later on this young lady stopped us and begged me to take a photo of her with Bob. I'm surprised she managed to just keep it to a photo- she wanted him badly!

Meanwhile, I found a pretty hot female Wookie and we hit it off nicely.

Chris@SOG was desperately searching for something else to do while we were there, but he couldn't find anything to plausibly remove himself for and ended up talking to us for a while!

Another guy I keep missing is this guy:

Sal Glesser from Spyderco- I finally got to meet him in person.  Like everyone else we've met so far, he struck me as a really nice guy, and despite not knowing who the heck I was, he was very polite and friendly.  While a jackass owner may not discourage me from buying a product, a friendly, helpful owner certainly encourages me to buy a product!

That's it for now- it's bedtime!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline JRAmmon

Re: People at SHOT- 2012 Edition
Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 05:13:35 PM
Thanks Grant,
Yes, Sal Glesser is a great guy. His integrity and personal interaction with others speaks volumes.
JR
VSAKCS #374

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 05:26:49 PM
It was the end of the day when I met him- everyone was tired and I think he was going to get his jacket to get the heck out of there when I spotted him.  As I've never had the opportunity to meet him before I decided this was my shot and I was going to take it.  I came up behind him and respectfully said "Excuse me Mr Glesser" and I guess he didn't hear me.  I followed up with a louder "Mr Glesser?" and he still kept walking away.  Deciding that it might be worth a punch in the face, I belted out "SAL!" and he turned around with a smile on his face.  After that I wasn't certain if it was a legitimate not hearing me, or if it just might be his way of letting some jackass know that he would prefer not to be put on a pedestal.  Either way, he was very nice to me and seemed like the kind of guy you could hang out with all day and never be bored or uncomfortable.

Bob and I were having a discussion about this yesterday with the Woodsmonkey guys.  There are some real jackasses in this business- some have earned the right to be a bit of a jackass, but many are just jackasses.  Then there are guys like Ernie Emerson and Sal Glesser that you can tell aren't just putting on a happy face for the show- these are guys that have earned the right to be the biggest jackasses you ever met, but instead are some of the nicest guys you'll meet.

As I said, I don't not deal with a company because I don't like the owners (the product determines my interest) but I do feel better about dealing with a company where the owner is a good guy!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline Beerplumber

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 06:26:27 PM
Oops I mistook that nice wookie lady for mossman from He-man. Are you holding hands in that pic? :rofl:

Stay multi my friends

us Offline stressmaster5000

• No Life Club
  • No PM's - just email please
Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 06:45:05 PM
Shoot! I thought this would be a thread more like the "People of Wal-Mart" type thing.  :pok:  :rofl:

Seriously tho, nice photos. Bob looks real serious. Does he always try and get as many shots with the ladies?  :pok:

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 08:11:08 PM
We LOVE pics with women
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 09:10:05 PM
I had the opportunity to Meet Sal Glasser in the UK at a British Blades Meetup but something came up and I couldn't make it  :(  Everyone who went echoed Grants opinion and said what a nice guy he was .

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, 09:41:58 PM
Looks like a bloody great time Guys..  :cheers:

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: January 18, 2012, 10:14:33 PM
Cool pics Grant and had me laughing, bobs like a chick magnet  :D

us Offline 82brutus

Reply #9 on: January 18, 2012, 10:36:21 PM
Grant, don't forget to pose next to any large posters of new multis.  Your goal is to be in every future ebay auction.

:pok:
“We shall neither fail nor falter; we shall not weaken or tire...give us the tools and we will finish the job.” - Winston Churchill

00 Offline Carlos

Reply #10 on: January 18, 2012, 10:38:56 PM
Sal Glesser looks like a retired wrestler on that picture. It was a good shot (got it... SHOT shot  :ahhh ).

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #11 on: January 18, 2012, 10:40:59 PM
The ladies just can't enough of Bob, it's a story we've witnessed many times!
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: January 19, 2012, 05:06:34 AM
Sal Glesser looks like a retired wrestler on that picture. It was a good shot (got it... SHOT shot  :ahhh ).

Retired wrestler huh?  Then in this corner we have Ray The Ring Tool Kirk!

:D

BTW, Ray is another diamond guy to talk to and hang out with.  We've been doing pretty good on this site for all the really great people we've been dealing with over the years.  Ray buddy, if you are reading this, I hope you had a safe ride home and it was certainly one of the high points of this year's SHOT trip to meet you person.  Glad you could come out!

While Bob is the usual chick magnet, I managed to meet up with my girlfriend from Truck Vault, which was good as it's our one year anniversary!  We celebrated by getting our picture taken in the same place we met last year at this time!  :D

For our second anniversary I may go so far as to learn her name.

We also had a good time having a beer with Mr and Mrs Leatherman.

Looks like this was a year for legends for Bob- not only did he meet Tim Leatherman yet again but he also got to meet and play a game of Stabby Combat with Ernest Emerson!

Def

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #13 on: January 19, 2012, 05:35:57 AM
Oh sure, I met some fabulous women and famous people at Shot today, but Grant made some new friends too :)

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: January 19, 2012, 06:10:57 AM
That was my girlfriend before I found Truck Vault Girl!  :D

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: January 19, 2012, 06:24:53 AM
I might be smarter than a 5th grader, but probably not by much...

Def

us Offline tattoosteve99

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #16 on: January 19, 2012, 06:44:20 AM
I might be smarter than a 5th grader, but probably not by much...

(Image removed from quote.)

Def
Looks like the guy behind you is getting ready to gut you lol.
If I remember correctly, wait, what was I saying?

00 Offline Ombudsman

• Rite of )+( Passage
Reply #17 on: January 19, 2012, 08:00:53 AM

Def

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

us Offline Ashley

• AKA Knife Crazied
Reply #18 on: January 19, 2012, 05:42:26 PM
Awesome photos!  :tu:

us Offline JRAmmon

Reply #19 on: January 19, 2012, 08:35:48 PM

Def

Since you two are history and all... dibbs on Zombie Girl.  :drink: :twak:
VSAKCS #374

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #20 on: January 20, 2012, 01:52:45 AM
Today I met up with a few less people- I mean I bumped into a few I already knew like Liong Mah, Brian Tighe, Glenn Klecker and so on but not really too many new people.  I also bumped into Jim Nowka, owner of Knifeforums and I got a pic of him.

This next one is kind of funny- I was walking along when I saw these two booth babes, and I stopped and told them whatever they were selling, they could sign me up.  They said they were here working security for Willie Nelson and pointed to a guy in a seat less than a foot away from me.  I said "Holy crap, that's Willie Nelson!  That's how hot you girls are, I completely missed Willie Nelson sitting 8 inches from me!"  They appreciated the compliment and I managed to get my pic taken with the group of them!

All in all, not a bad day if I do say so myself!  :D

Def

00 Offline Carlos

Reply #21 on: January 20, 2012, 02:14:20 AM
Damn it, now I have to check what that x20.org site is all about.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #22 on: January 20, 2012, 07:25:00 AM
Today I met up with a few less people- I mean I bumped into a few I already knew like Liong Mah, Brian Tighe, Glenn Klecker and so on but not really too many new people.  I also bumped into Jim Nowka, owner of Knifeforums and I got a pic of him.

I said "Holy crap, that's Willie Nelson!  All in all, not a bad day if I do say so myself!  :D

Def

Observations:

1st picture. To own a forum you need unusual facial hair

2nd picture. Where is Willie Nelson?
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #23 on: January 21, 2012, 06:08:32 AM
The last day of the show was today and I managed to meet a few heroes of mine- there's some people in this list that I'm pretty certain you will all find at least a few names here you recognize.  First up is Grant Cunningham, a fairly well known revolver expert.

Interestingly enough, he's also a SOSAK member, which I never knew before.  It was only during our brief chat that we determined that I was in charge of it and he was a member!

Next up I met Doug Ritter, owner of equipped.org and the chairman of kniferights.org.

I've talked to Doug a number of times both on various forums and in emails back and forth (interestingly enough, our programmer Esteban and his company at the time built the website for Kniferights after I recommended him to Doug!) but until now I'd never met him in person, so that was a bit of a treat.

Not long after I met Paul Bos, perhaps the man who knows more about heat treating blades than any other man on the planet.

I learned a lot sitting in on a discussion he was having with Tom Stokes- Tom is a great designer with more of a theoretical knowledge of things while Paul is more of a hands on guy, so the two of them together were simply amazing and it was all I could do to just try and absorb the info!

After I left the show things got serious and I started to meet some of the folks that shaped my life from the time I was very young.  Without these next guys I may not have been the man I am today, so just try to keep in mind how amazed I was to encounter them in person.  Childhood heroes sometimes disappoint you when you meet them in person, but not these ones- I was in awe the whole time.

First came the Blue M&M.

Then Optimus Prime, Sonic the Hedgehog and Iron Man showed up.

But I knew it wasn't really a party until Bumblebee arrived!

I'm not certain I'll ever be the same again after today!

Def

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #24 on: January 21, 2012, 09:47:34 AM
So many famous names  :ahhh

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #25 on: January 21, 2012, 12:34:34 PM
I've always wondered how the blue M&M would be in real life :ahhh
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #26 on: January 21, 2012, 04:27:53 PM
Very, very cool boss. 8)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline Ashley

• AKA Knife Crazied
Reply #27 on: January 21, 2012, 06:24:08 PM
You did good boss.  :D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #28 on: January 21, 2012, 07:11:56 PM

Thanks Ash- In all my life I never thought I'd get to meet the blue M&M!  I've been a huge fan as long as I can remember!

Def

us Offline Ashley

• AKA Knife Crazied
Reply #29 on: January 22, 2012, 12:27:35 AM

Thanks Ash- In all my life I never thought I'd get to meet the blue M&M!  I've been a huge fan as long as I can remember!

Def

Taste good too!  :rofl:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69