Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

And so it begins.... (My adventures into Alox!)

Syph007 · 6008 · 1073858

ca Offline Lardlad

Re: And so it begins.... (My adventures into Alox!)
Reply #3750 on: May 01, 2016, 07:23:27 PM
A metal replacement for the plastic bit holder would be amazing.  Especially on a Cybertool 41 with titanium scales, with the small blade swapped out for the Electrician and a brass mag glass added (maybe in place of the caplifter/screwdriver?).  That would be my ultimate SAK.

And Bob once mentioned investigating the possibility of making the micro screwdriver a scale tool somehow; that would be the icing on the cake.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #3751 on: May 03, 2016, 10:22:26 PM
Ive been meaning to try this for ages.

3/32 firesteel concealed in front scale.  I spent awhile thinking of how the hell I can hold it in.. then realized if I made the slot in the right spot the opener tools hold it in.  To get it out open both tools.  When new its a snug fit which is why in this test scale I left the tip hanging into the cross cutout so it can be pushed from the front if need be.

I was worried these tiny firesteels were brittle but I could not snap it with finger pressure.  Its kind of like a little nail.  ANd for its size throws very decent sparks.  These firesteel blanks are 53 cents so its an easily replaceable item as well. 
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #3752 on: May 03, 2016, 10:30:28 PM
Nice idea!
Maybe you should sell the Firesteel SAKs with a replacement firesteel right from the start. People will feel lessbad about scrathcing one if they do have replacement available.
Just an idea.

Waiting for a more double-father friendly (you know what diapers and child food cost?  :o ) Version of your Phillips and Awl Compact. Maybe with Aluminium or G 10 scales and aluminium liners?  :pok: Kind of the basic level mod to infect first time buyers...

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #3753 on: May 03, 2016, 11:20:40 PM
That's pretty neat!
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #3754 on: May 03, 2016, 11:39:44 PM
That's pretty neat!
JR
+1

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

K-Tibbs

us Offline tankerG

Reply #3755 on: May 04, 2016, 01:31:53 AM
Interesting. There was a vid somewhere on the web where a guy fashioned a firestarter into a toothpick shape and inserted it into the pick slot. Kinda thin, you had to back it up during use - but made good sparks.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3756 on: May 04, 2016, 04:13:19 PM
@Syph007

I love the idea of putting a fire steel on a SAK.  I'm wondering why not just make a dedicated fire steel space in the SAK with a holder that would accept the steel?  It might be thinner than say the cyertool layer? 

What we've seen with the brass mag holder I'm sure you could conjure up something amazing. 
Esse Quam Videri

es Offline alexTOOL

• No Life Club
Reply #3757 on: May 04, 2016, 11:04:43 PM
@Syph007

I love the idea of putting a fire steel on a SAK.  I'm wondering why not just make a dedicated fire steel space in the SAK with a holder that would accept the steel?  It might be thinner than say the cyertool layer? 

What we've seen with the brass mag holder I'm sure you could conjure up something amazing.

Something like this, but smarter???

http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Wenger+Angler

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3758 on: May 05, 2016, 02:05:04 AM
YES  :tu:.  Thats pretty cool I've never seen that model.   
Esse Quam Videri

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #3759 on: May 07, 2016, 03:35:54 PM
Im still experimenting with ways to store a firesteel...  This actually works but Im not sure its its ideal yet.

PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3760 on: May 07, 2016, 04:17:40 PM
 I would think that would hamper the saw's cutting ability and severely weaken it as well.

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #3761 on: May 07, 2016, 04:27:59 PM
Go cut some wood and drywall with it, and see how well it works. If it breaks, or it sucks, go back to the drawing board. If it works, and the fire steel has decent retention, keep it.
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #3762 on: May 07, 2016, 05:52:22 PM
I did saw some small sticks, it doesnt effect the use at all.  Side to side I think it might bend easier though. 

What Im aiming to do on this prototype is have a few ways to store a firesteel and then carry and use it so I know what is realistic to use.  I suspect somehow store in scale is going to be the winner though its hard to have good retention on a scale tool like that, that gets thinner the more you use it...

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #3763 on: May 07, 2016, 06:05:34 PM
I did saw some small sticks, it doesnt effect the use at all.  Side to side I think it might bend easier though. 

What Im aiming to do on this prototype is have a few ways to store a firesteel and then carry and use it so I know what is realistic to use.  I suspect somehow store in scale is going to be the winner though its hard to have good retention on a scale tool like that, that gets thinner the more you use it...

Honestly it needs to be tested on more than small sticks. Take it to some 2X4's then find some thick branches to test her out.  :tu:
I'm the milk man!

de Offline windson

• Observe - Evaluate - Control
Reply #3764 on: May 07, 2016, 08:07:19 PM
Kudos for testing unconventional theories without fear of failure or ridicule, Robert! Only this way, you'll come up with the next big thing (tm).

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #3765 on: May 07, 2016, 09:30:03 PM
The saw cuts through 2x4 fine, but that's not the issue.  Its not held in securely so I dont love this idea.  It was too hard to vet the idea by theory alone so I wanted to try each idea I had as a prototype.

I think I will have to go to a scale tool, but the problem is I have to have a way to hold it in securely and it cant depend on the diameter since that will shrink with use. 

This tiny 3/32 firesteel also is too anemic for hard use as well, so I'm going to change to fitting the next larger size which is a 1/8 inch.  That will be much easier to manufacture a spot for since all my bits are 1/8 inch.  My next idea is so simple that I cant believe I didnt think of it first.  But its the trial an error process that bubbles the best ideas to the surface...

Kudos for testing unconventional theories without fear of failure or ridicule, Robert! Only this way, you'll come up with the next big thing (tm).

:D  I do this all the time but dont usually post the fails.  But just posting pics of finished SAKs gets boring so I want to explain the thought process behind a new SAK tweak.   

The thing is, I can do it a complex way, but since people will want them, I have to make it not too complex since it wont be a one off, it has to be repeatable and I dont want it to cost more than half an hour of time or its not 'worth it' to offer.

us Offline tjfarrington2000

Reply #3766 on: May 08, 2016, 02:43:18 AM
The saw cuts through 2x4 fine, but that's not the issue.  Its not held in securely so I dont love this idea.  It was too hard to vet the idea by theory alone so I wanted to try each idea I had as a prototype.

I think I will have to go to a scale tool, but the problem is I have to have a way to hold it in securely and it cant depend on the diameter since that will shrink with use. 

This tiny 3/32 firesteel also is too anemic for hard use as well, so I'm going to change to fitting the next larger size which is a 1/8 inch.  That will be much easier to manufacture a spot for since all my bits are 1/8 inch.  My next idea is so simple that I cant believe I didnt think of it first.  But its the trial an error process that bubbles the best ideas to the surface...

:D  I do this all the time but dont usually post the fails.  But just posting pics of finished SAKs gets boring so I want to explain the thought process behind a new SAK tweak.   

The thing is, I can do it a complex way, but since people will want them, I have to make it not too complex since it wont be a one off, it has to be repeatable and I dont want it to cost more than half an hour of time or its not 'worth it' to offer.
What about on the inside of the scale, where you had to open either the blade or openers layer to get out the rod, and a button to deploy the recessed tool?

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3767 on: May 08, 2016, 04:05:43 AM
What about a different shape fire steel?  Do they come in flat stock? Maybe Triangle? 

What about figuring a way to include as a back side tool?  Can the back spring be thinned to fit one there? 

What about notching out part of the scale along the top or bottom edge not on the flat shield side.

Clearly I'm no fabricator  :rofl: I'm just rambling.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline tallowwaters

Reply #3768 on: May 08, 2016, 05:32:04 AM
What about a T shaped pivot fixed to the end of the fire steel with an appropriate notch made into the scale so that the steel would flip out at the pivot, which could be pulled back and removed from the scale?

Not the most elegant explanation, but it could work.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #3769 on: May 08, 2016, 02:58:23 PM
Here is what Im currently trying.  A slot milled into the back scale near center to fit it.  But how to hold it in is the problem.  It sits just about flush.  Im thinking a small bit of a super thin Ti to act as a retaining spring.  Im just trying to think of the easiest way to produce it and not over complicate it.  And I dont want it sticking up to high or it would be annoying when you hold the SAK for normal use.

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #3770 on: May 08, 2016, 03:14:39 PM
The ferrocerium is slightly magnetic - how about a strip of neodymium magnets inset in a slot in one scale to hold it?

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #3771 on: May 08, 2016, 03:20:33 PM
The ferrocerium is slightly magnetic - how about a strip of neodymium magnets inset in a slot in one scale to hold it?

Yup that was my first thought.  Tried with a strong button magnet, not held very stong at all.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #3772 on: May 08, 2016, 04:17:51 PM
Can you mill a notch in the one end? Then cut half of the flint so it slips in on the one side so you only have to worry about the other end?
JR

Then maybe put a magnet on the other?

« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 04:19:36 PM by MadPlumbarian »
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #3773 on: May 09, 2016, 04:54:52 PM
Couldn't you just mill another slot like the pen slot?

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #3774 on: May 09, 2016, 07:26:32 PM
Couldn't you just mill another slot like the pen slot?

But what would hold it in?  As it got thinner it would just fall out.  Also it would require me to have double the thickness of Ti scales, which ups the cost, thickness and weight.

Ive got a solution now, but it requires new scales to be cut.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #3775 on: May 10, 2016, 12:18:26 AM
Ive been selling 3 or 4 of these a week pretty steadily.  For sure the most popular 3 layer.  Come to think of it, I rarely build wider than 4+ layer ones.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 02:14:54 AM by Syph007 »

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3776 on: May 10, 2016, 12:27:23 AM
 :drool:

Did you get your Mill up and running ?  Lets see a video   :tu:

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #3777 on: May 10, 2016, 12:28:47 AM

I had to earn some money to pay bills so the last week was all regular old by hand work to get out 8 SAKs.  Im back to setup of the mill now.  I did the flood coolant plumbing and IM building the enclosure tonight and tomorrow, then I'll post another video.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3778 on: May 10, 2016, 01:21:47 AM

I had to earn some money to pay bills so the last week was all regular old by hand work to get out 8 SAKs.  Im back to setup of the mill now.  I did the flood coolant plumbing and IM building the enclosure tonight and tomorrow, then I'll post another video.

:tu:

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #3779 on: May 10, 2016, 01:42:22 AM
Ive been selling 3 or 4 of these a week pretty steadily.  For sure the most popular 3 layer.  Come to think of it, I rarely build wider than 4+ layer ones.

(Image removed from quote.)

Pictures not working for me.

Sad panda.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31