Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What's the deal with the wood saw?

Carlos · 28 · 3362

00 Offline Carlos

on: January 24, 2012, 05:40:11 PM
It takes not much to conclude that there's a certain bias here towards tools with a wood saw. Huntsman or farmer (vics) are two popular examples. However there's no much love for the metal saw, why is that?

Personally I tend to give more use to the metal saw, even on small wood pieces, for example.

us Offline Ashley

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • AKA Knife Crazied
Re: What's the deal with the wood saw?
Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 06:08:19 PM
Metal saw? :think: What's that. :D

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 06:20:04 PM
The wood saw is also more common.
Not many SAKs have the file/metal saw
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 06:36:11 PM
The only woodsaw I use is on the Wenger Swissgrip, and even that's only very occasionally. I'm not particularly bothered about them otherwise, and they can't compete with the 120mm wenger saw anyway. If I'm going anywhere where I might need one (camping etc) I'll have my bahco laplander.

That said, I don't tend to be cutting other materials that a woodsaw might be useful for such as hard plastic conduit or such, which other people might

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 06:41:24 PM
I would agree with this observation, I don't see what the fascination is with the wood saw. Single function tool, very agressive tooth design, good at cutting wood, but can't be used for any sort of fine work in my experience.

What do people use this for in everyday situations  :think:

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 07:18:32 PM
I'll just quote myself from 2010.. :D :D

Nobody really needs a saw..    :pok: ::)

Personally I haven't had the need to carry a SAK with saw in my everyday urban life.. :)

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 07:20:05 PM
I'm a big fan of both tools, especially the newer Vic stainless steel file. That thing is smurfin' sharp.

This is one of my favorite Vics.

It's a Ranger minus the scissors layer. Four thin layers makes it very pocketable with lots of cutting potential.

us Offline Ashley

• AKA Knife Crazied
Reply #7 on: January 24, 2012, 07:26:29 PM
I love having a saw. I use one a lot in the summer when I'm cutting small branches and limbs up for my campfires. Also if attacked at work I think a few cuts with a saw would stop someone. :D I have also found well traveling the country roads at work if there is a low hanging limb I can stand in the back of truck and remove it. Hey girls like to play too. :D

IzzyJG99

Reply #8 on: January 24, 2012, 08:04:21 PM
I feel more comfortable having a saw that meets the location I am in. For example if I am outdoors and hiking? Must have is a wood saw on my SAK. Just in case. If I am in the city? I want something that if necessary can cut metal and wood.

Better to have it and not need it, I say.

I tend to favor the Ranger and Craftsman because of that requirement I have.

us Offline Tyler_

Reply #9 on: January 24, 2012, 08:10:15 PM
Yeah I haven't used the wood saw much, but when I did, to lop off some branches of a small tree, it really is impressive how quick and easy it cuts.

spam Offline J Mackrel Jones

Reply #10 on: January 24, 2012, 10:17:50 PM
When camping the wood saw is almost silent when cutting branches for the fire, as opposed to the loud Snap of breaking them over your knee.  Or was that my knee?
The SAKOM's use of the wood saw as a rangefinder is better done with the fish scaler...
The work takes on a life unplanned
and the painter finds the painting directs the hand

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #11 on: January 25, 2012, 02:21:26 AM
I like the wood saw because it does a number on most plastics and of course wood- I've had it save the day several times. I like to have the file in my pliers based multi because... I do. *laughs* I think the two best combos I've found are Supertool and Vic Compact and PST and a Huntsman for the blend of tools.

That being said, I'd love to see a 111mm Vic with just the wood saw and the new stainless file, particularly if they diamond coated one of the sides. No openers, no blades, no backspring tools, no scale tools, just the saws.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline bladechick777

• No Life Club
  • I'm An SAK Nut, You're An SAK Nut, Let's Hug! =]
Reply #12 on: January 25, 2012, 04:07:13 PM
My Custom SAK Has Both.  :tu:
~Jessie~

00 Offline Carlos

Reply #13 on: January 25, 2012, 05:40:27 PM
I'm a big fan of both tools, especially the newer Vic stainless steel file. That thing is smurfin' sharp.

This is one of my favorite Vics.

(Image removed from quote.)

It's a Ranger minus the scissors layer. Four thin layers makes it very pocketable with lots of cutting potential.

(Image removed from quote.)
There is a 111 production version of this: the locksmith.

gb Offline Pignut71

Reply #14 on: January 25, 2012, 09:28:18 PM
So they do: http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Locksmith

Got to say, I find the back of the SAK saw brilliant for generating sparks from a Swedish army fire steel. (LM saw just as good).

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: January 26, 2012, 02:42:16 PM
I've found lots of uses for mine , good on wood , plastics , paneling - all kinds of stuff .

Chris

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: January 28, 2012, 05:28:46 AM
I got a Work Champ a few months ago because it's the only 111 mm tool with the saw, file, and pliers.  I use it most for camping and hiking.  It's a bit of a beast, but you can't beat it for those uses.  The pliers are just right for pulling cord through holes, holding a big stitching needle to sew up a torn packbag, etc.  And there's nothing better for pulling stems out of apples (I'm picky that way), and digging staples, thorns, and glass shards out of my bike tires.  I also use it frequently for putting split rings on other stuff, etc.

I love the wood saw on it because it's great for small branches for kindling and the like for making fires, and the blade does a good job for feather sticks and the like.  I've taken a few outdoor survival classes over the past few years, and have learned to make and successfully use a fire bow out of found materials and a boot lace.  There's nothing better for cutting a groove into the indentation you make in a hearthblock for a fire bow to catch the embers as you're using the bow on your spindle. 

The file is the most aggressive one on any tool I have.  I don't have a Charge or a Surge mind you, and I haven't actually tried it yet, but I'd be willing to use the file on my Work Champ to touch up the edge of my camping axe if I had to as well.  My work champ is pretty much a one stop survival tool; I feel like I could get by in the wilderness with just it and a few other things if I needed to.
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #17 on: January 28, 2012, 06:30:12 PM
Also they're excellent on plasterboard (drywall).  I do agree however that I tend to find the metal file/saw more useful in the city.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline GigaHz

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: January 29, 2012, 01:12:18 PM
I just cut a frozen pork loin in half with the wood saw. It worked very fast and it was about 3 inches in diameter. The wife was amazed. Costco sells these huge 2 in a vacuum pack things and 2 packs per sale. I should of divided them up better before freezing. I don't use either saw much.

Offline maximus0723

Reply #19 on: January 30, 2012, 04:54:15 AM
When camping the wood saw is almost silent when cutting branches for the fire, as opposed to the loud Snap of breaking them over your knee.  Or was that my knee?
The SAKOM's use of the wood saw as a rangefinder is better done with the fish scaler...
Well, there will be thicker dry branches.
Here what helps is that you cut into the wood up to "X' length and snap it off.

Lots of times, you are looking for wood for many other purposes that require branch off a live tree which is hard to rip apart so you need a saw. Other times you may require wood of specific shape, so with the saw you get precise cut.

us Offline bushidomosquito

Reply #20 on: February 02, 2012, 01:17:28 PM
I just cut a frozen pork loin in half with the wood saw. It worked very fast and it was about 3 inches in diameter. The wife was amazed. Costco sells these huge 2 in a vacuum pack things and 2 packs per sale. I should of divided them up better before freezing. I don't use either saw much.

I'll never forget the looks I got when I completely processed a 200lb buck with a Huntsman. The saw was great for splitting the pelvis and removing the antlers, the scissors took care of the unpleasant butthole surgery and the 2 blades handled the rest. 4 other guys at deer camp had every manner of implement from big Bowie type knives to bone saws and mini hatchets to gut hooks and I got it all done with a 91mm SAK. 
Sent from my Glock 23 using Doubletaptalk

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #21 on: February 02, 2012, 01:33:15 PM

I'll never forget the looks I got when I completely processed a 200lb buck with a Huntsman. The saw was great for splitting the pelvis and removing the antlers, the scissors took care of the unpleasant butthole surgery and the 2 blades handled the rest. 4 other guys at deer camp had every manner of implement from big Bowie type knives to bone saws and mini hatchets to gut hooks and I got it all done with a 91mm SAK.

That's fantastic :D

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

se Offline Northern Geek

Reply #22 on: February 02, 2012, 02:10:14 PM

++

:cheers:

Bet it needed a good cleaning afterwards though? :P

Offline maximus0723

Reply #23 on: February 02, 2012, 05:24:32 PM

I'll never forget the looks I got when I completely processed a 200lb buck with a Huntsman. The saw was great for splitting the pelvis and removing the antlers, the scissors took care of the unpleasant butthole surgery and the 2 blades handled the rest. 4 other guys at deer camp had every manner of implement from =big Bowie type knives to bone saws and mini hatchets to gut hooks and I got it all done with a 91mm SAK.

That is an awesome story.

us Offline bushidomosquito

Reply #24 on: February 02, 2012, 11:32:43 PM

++

:cheers:

Bet it needed a good cleaning afterwards though? :P

You know it. That was 3 years ago and I took that one apart for mod parts not long ago. I found more than a few little deer bits in there.
Sent from my Glock 23 using Doubletaptalk

us Offline Ashley

• AKA Knife Crazied
Reply #25 on: February 02, 2012, 11:51:37 PM
Now that is cool!

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #26 on: February 03, 2012, 07:17:26 PM
I do like to have a saw for most jobs so my PT is prepared for most sawing jobs now  :tu:

us Offline Accujohn

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: February 03, 2012, 08:15:03 PM
I love the saw option. Not always used, but i use it a few times every year and always saved the day

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%