Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Do you have a "bag" to carry your tools, cell phone, knives, etc ???

eodtech · 80 · 11374

us Offline eodtech

• No Life Club
  • Rule #9 - Never go anywhere without a knife.
I am always looking for a "ditty" bag to carry an assortment of things  ( multitool, knives, keyring, 9mm Ruger pistol (YES it's not an auto), cell phone , etc ) when I go on a assignment ( needless to say I no loger fly with the assortment of goodies I carry with me ) - which is sort of funny because I started my LEO carrer as an armed Sky Marshal in 1970 as a bomb tech flying around the world for 3 straight years. Currently I have an LL Bean pack ( don't laugh it was free )  and a padded soft sided attache case with my MAC PowerBook G4 in it ). I hear a lot of people talking about Maxpedition bags, CountryComm bags, and CalelBak bags. Mexpedition seem to get a lot of play, they are quite pricey , but if it does the job and it's a quality product.

I would be interested in your personal experiences, observations, likes and dislikes, and any other fiction and fact you have to offer,

Thanx
Why do I carry a 45 ?
Because they don't make a 46 !

Offline colubrid

I have maxpeditions bags . Check out this thread before buying anything:

http://edcforums.com/index.php?topic=3859.0

Offline colubrid

Also I think the cheaper than dirt brand is the value:

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/

MOLLE-302 $11.67 928
Description: MOLLE Deployment Bag OD GREEN 11.5x5.5x6" Compress Divided

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/MOLLE304-19883-1976.html
« Last Edit: November 12, 2006, 08:51:45 PM by colubrid »

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
I don't mind spending a little extra money if something is good quality and does exactly what it is supposed to.  I have been a big fan of Maxpedition stuff for a while, although I never seem to keep them for long.

The biggest drawback I have with them is the lack of specific pockets for small items (like pens, multis or SAKs) and the dedicated pockets that don't expand- like the cell phone holders on the sides.  I sold my last bag because I got a new cell phone and it didn't fit in the slots.

The upside is that it easily protected and carried my gadgets including a couple of PDA's, digital cameras, etc, and despite carrying it constantly for a year it still looked brand new.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline eodtech

• No Life Club
  • Rule #9 - Never go anywhere without a knife.
The biggest drawback I have with them is the lack of specific pockets for small items (like pens, multis or SAKs) and the dedicated pockets that don't expand- like the cell phone holders on the sides. 

Def.
Maxpedition's NeatFreak Organizer   caught my eye with 18 individual pockets, PLUS it comes with a built in VELCRO divider that you can add a  Hook & Loop Modular 3-Clip Holster (#3502)  for $9.99 to put a light, multitool, etc .  Nice set up, probably I'll have to get one when I sell a few of my existing stock of LARGE EDC bags.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2006, 06:22:10 AM by eodtech »
Why do I carry a 45 ?
Because they don't make a 46 !

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Yeah, I have been looking at one of those as well.  I think I am more interested in the Nit Ize pouch at the moment though.

http://www.niteize.com/productdetail.php?category_id=27&product_id=129

or

http://www.niteize.com/productdetail.php?category_id=27&product_id=103

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
I've got one of the Nite-Ize cell phone holders.  I carry my Nextel i760, Buck MiniBuck pocket knife, Mag Solitaire, and Buck MiniTool in it.  It works well.  The one drawback is I have to be careful with what I carry on the sides of it.  My phone has buttons on the side, and they get pushed if there's something too bulky in the little side pockets.  (Hopefully you understood that)
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
I had that problem with my old camera phone.  I have more pictures of the inside of my pocket than anything else!

Def

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
I have a Maxpedition Fatboy , and when I need a bit more a Filson tackle dag . The Filson is a bit more Sheeple friendly , the Fatboy has tha " shoot me first " look .

Chris

Offline yeti

• New User
  Currently I have an LL Bean pack ( don't laugh it was free )

Hey!  I'm not laughing...I get several LL Bean daypacks (and several more non-Bean packs) a year at yard sales.  I abuse the hell out of daypacks for various purposes and they seem to hold up better than the rest of those I've used.  I also like the reflective strips...especially for emergency gear.
g

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
  • "Survival must be earned"-Klingon Proverb
One Jumbo Fatboy!!!! :D

* 03-Photo 3.jpg (Filesize: 117.02 KB)
"Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall;
 Some run from breaks of ice, and answer none:
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Wow... I hope you didn't forget anything!

Def

us Offline inkster

• Administrator
  • Administrator
I carry a Maxpedition Proteus Versipack.  It is a bit smaller than the Fatboy, but I think it will hold all your stuff nice and comfy cozy  :police:

us Offline Splat

Not meant to offend but this had me thinking of....well, here ya go: http://www.dizzydragon.com/manpurse.html
Splat

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
You mean "Tactical" man purse, right? :P

Def

us Offline Splat

There ya go!  8)
Splat

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Just want to resurrect this thread, because Im thinking of buying some sort of small bag just big enough to carry my LM charge (when it arrives, hopefully soon), stanley minitripod torch (which is qutie a hefty size for a 3AA torch due to the moving head and tripod legs), turboflame phoenix lighter (titchy, but you get the idea about the kind of gear i want this bag to hold), and konica minolta dimage z5 camera (not the most compact of cameras due to its 12 optical zoom, but still about as small as possible for this type of camera) along with any other small bits and bobs I might find useful to take with me when I dont want to carry a bigger bag.

The link posted in this thread before (http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/MOLLE304-19883-1976.html) of the MOLLE bag from cheaperthandirt seems good, im not sure if its big enough exactly, but that the kind of size id be after. However, I suppose i'd prefer something more similar in shape to the really expensive maxpedition versipacks, where you have it carried over the shoulder and itd lie quite comfortably against your body. Cant have best of both worls I suppose, the maxpedition is way too expensive for me.

I guess the most vital question is to do with the UK, the stuff im checking out is sold in the US. Do any of the members here who live in europe or the UK know of any good shops to buy such bags at reasonable prices?
« Last Edit: April 06, 2007, 04:35:29 PM by raukodur »

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
After running some searches on ebay and trawling through the results I found a couple of bags that might fit my needs.

At first I was searching for military / army / combat bags and the smallest suitable one I could find was this one: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ARMY-COMBAT-UTILITY-BAG-SHOULDER-TYPE-RETRO-MANGA-NEW_W0QQitemZ110108661398QQcategoryZ15660QQtcZphotoQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It is small to medium size, but unfortunately the seller doesnt expalin what kind of pockets are under the flap. It is slightly padded so thats good for electrical stuff and other stuff which you wouldnt want taking a knock. I think this bag would comfortably take my camera case inside it along with the other stuff I'd want to put in.

However, that got me thinking, in that why would I want to put my camera in it, in my camera case? Seems like a waste of space and packaging. Maybe instead I should search for a bag which I can put my naked camera into. That got me looking at my camera case and realising that if it was big enough to also fit my flashlight into, itd be perfect for my needs.

So then I searched ebay for camera / camcorder bags, and came up with lots of results which were similar to what I was after, finally settling on this as a compromise between design, dimensions, and cost: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Digital-camera-bag-case-video-camcorder-Black-jazz_W0QQitemZ320100273078QQcategoryZ43432QQtcZphotoQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This has a very similar design to my current camera case, but is wider, my case is more square shaped. The only thing about this case I am unsure about is that it seems both my camera and flashlight will have to be placed in the main pocket, none of the others look big enough, and for one, I'm not sure both will fit, and second, I would have preferred not having to have two things in contact with each other. It makes it more difficult to take one out and leave the other in, and also means there is the possiblity of damage by one thing bumping an grinding against the other.

I am seriously tempted to go for the camcorder bag though and see if I can put in any dividers into it / alter it in any way to make it more suitable for my needs. I guess I'll do some mroe searching before I buy though, maybe I'll find the perfect bag I'm after.

One thing this does highlight is the one problem with the stanley tripod flashlight, its quite big. I love the design, and can understand why it is so large, but that is definitely a disadvantage. Small LED torches nowadays can normally fit anywhere.

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Continuing with my ebay searching I found this bag: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-HAMA-DFV80-LG-WEATHERPROOF-DIGITAL-CAMCORDER-BAG_W0QQitemZ190100621197QQcategoryZ64336QQtcZphotoQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

Its long enough to hold the torch quite comfortably (for which I found a case in the form a padded cynlindrical fleece pencil case which is exactly the right size and should protect it quite well) and had a fleece interior which was very attractive since it would prevent anything getting even scratched. However, again there was the issue of whether the camera could fit on top of the torch (or vice versa), and this was a problem in itself since if I had to put the two items one on top of another, it meant it would be cumbersome putting out the bottom one. So i decided not to buy it.

Then I found this: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=110112168405&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=001

The good thing about this bag is its 7 inch by 7 inch size, which means I should be able to put the torch and camera in side by side hopefully. Since its still a pretty small compact bag I bought it, total price was just below £7.00 including postage and packaging so very cheap. Another aspect of it I like is that the main compartment has a U shaped opening, which will allow greater access to whats in it as opposed to a single zip straight line opening. Unfortunately there wassnt any info on the auction regarding its material or padding but Im guessing that since its a camcorder bag it should have a soft inside and be moderately padded at worst. And at £7.00 im not too fussed.

So as long as the bag doesnt turn out to be a complete disaster I guess that ends my search for something to keep my kit in. I think it will be quite convenient to have a small bag to hold my camera (+spare batteries and memory), flashlight, charge TTI (when it finally arrives, pray to God it doesnt get lost in the post), lighter, and any other small bits and bobs I may think necessary.

Sorry for all rambling posts  :grin:

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Sounds like you may have found a winner there raukodur. I agree with how important it is to have some seperation between your camera and your flashlight. (With the high cost of today's fancy flashlights, you wouldn't want your camera to bash against it and cause any damage!   ;))

And as you say, the cost is low enough that you can't hardly go wrong.

Let us know how it works out....
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
And as you say, the cost is low enough that you can't hardly go wrong.

heh, thats actually means i can't go right. Typo or subtle insinuation?

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
 :D  I just meant that -worst case- even if the bag doesn't work out as well as you hoped, you're only out £7.00.

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Yeah i figured thats what you meant  :P double negatives are often used without noticing youre saying the opposite of what you want to.

My dads after a camera case at the moment for his camera (which is same as mine) so I'll probably just give him my old one and use this one, so it was kind of a necessary purchase anyway.

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Well, that bag arrived, and wasnt big enough, nor was it actually the bag I'd won in the auction so I returned it for a full refund. Bought the one I've put a photo up of instead. It has arrived, and seems to be exactly the right size  :grin: Fits everything in that I need.
PICT0190.JPG
* PICT0190.JPG (Filesize: 123.51 KB)

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
The bag is made of a rough cloth material, the kind that is really itchy if you were to wear it. It has a waterproof lining in it I believe, and lots of pockets including 2 zip pockets as big as the bag itself, one in front of the other aloing with smaller ones on the font, inside on of the main pockts, and on the sides.

This photo shows all the stuff Ive put in it:
- konica minolta dimage z5 camera
- small extendable tripod for the camera
- camera accessories including batteries, memory card, card reader
- leatherman charge TTI
- stanley titanium minitripod
- turboflame phoenix lighter

Everything fits very comfortably.

I am slightly concerned about the camera, I need to find a very small case for it thats slightly padded to give it better protection. The bag material is thick cloth, but not padded enough to protect the camera. Other than that, everything else should be fine.

Overall very pleased with my purchase (bag cost ~ £6 - £7 inclusive of delivery from germany)
PICT0198.JPG
* PICT0198.JPG (Filesize: 107.89 KB)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
That's why I carry a "beater" camera.  They can be had pretty cheap nowadays for decent quality units.  I think my 5mp HP camera cost me about $60 at Staples, but when I was trolling eBay last year for cheap memory cards I got a small camera for $15.  It lasted me a little over a year until I dropped it.  I think that the switch is broken, because it still seems to work when you hold the switch on. 

I can afford to write off a $15 or even $60 camera every year, but my good one cost me about $300- I can't afford to take a chance that it will survive the day to day rigors of my life!

Def

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
  • Smells like tar and smoke.
I carry a Maxpedition Proteus Versipack.  It is a bit smaller than the Fatboy, but I think it will hold all your stuff nice and comfy cozy  :police:

(Image removed from quote.)

old topic,sorry,i know,but ive been chasing this one bag,from different companies,and heinnie seems to stock one,and ofcourse ebays filled with far-east emade copies of better brand but no one shows any pictures of the insides.is there any inside pockets/organizrs in those from SnugPak,Maxpedition,and Proteus.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
The proteus does have a small passport sized flap inside the main pouch, but it's pretty small.
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
  • Smells like tar and smoke.
i checked out the dimensions and those might be able to carry my weekend gear,without any need for backpack.
i like to go out there without large bags and take just the vitals with me.firemaking stuff,one esbit cooker and 500ml stainless cup for boiling,f-a kit,compass,space blanket,spork,not much more.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
i checked out the dimensions and those might be able to carry my weekend gear,without any need for backpack.
i like to go out there without large bags and take just the vitals with me.firemaking stuff,one esbit cooker and 500ml stainless cup for boiling,f-a kit,compass,space blanket,spork,not much more.
If you travel very light and just carry what you need, then the proteus is big enough...just :)

You can just about get a 500ml Sigg bottle in it, but only just :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $56.34
PayPal Fees: $2.74
Net Balance: $53.60
Below Goal: $246.40
Site Currency: USD