Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad by logging in.

Livarno, Romisen, C8, Small Sun cheap HID torches 31151

Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 19,658 Gone Hunting

dks cy

Re: Livarno, Romisen, C8, Small Sun cheap HID torches
« Reply #150 on: January 15, 2016, 09:33:22 PM »
Blackwater Kite, 140Lm, rechargeable (several brands/finishes available)
Two mode twistie

Size comparison

Taken apart

Compared with the Tank007 E09

Both on high

and both on low

The light volume is similar, but the E09 has a better throw

The anodising is OK but not as goo as that of Fenix, Olight etc. No missing anodising.

Charging

It charges via a standard micro USB wire. There is a red LED indicating charging, which turns to green when it is charged.
The included battery gets charged to 4.2V before the charging stops. A good, safe, voltage.
Because of its size it does not fit in my chargers, but can be charged using suitable wires, if needed.

The battery capacity is low, as expected.

NOTE : to charge it for the first time you need to take off the bottom battery cover and remove a plastic insulator that is included, to protect the battery from turning on during transport

The charging USB socket seems good enough.

Is this a good replacement for an AAA light?

Definitely the brightness is similar.
Smaller.
It stayed cool enough.
PWM was barely noticeable (much better than the E09)
The Capacity is much lower and I doubt you can get 30 minutes on high. The voltage drooped significantly after little use (my testing period).

The question is whether it is easier to find AAA batteries or a micro USB charger. They are both common enough, but in a power cut the AAA option will win.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 09:34:36 PM by dks »

Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 5,003
« Reply #151 on: January 15, 2016, 10:01:21 PM »
Thanks for the awesome and quick review !

on Monday I'm definitely going to our post office to check if something hasn't arrived but they failed to notify me. it's been over a month already.
Global Moderator Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 19,999 I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
« Reply #152 on: January 15, 2016, 10:04:29 PM »
Hm, so only the two modes, low and high?

I like the integrated charger option, one of the reasons I haven't yet pulled the trigger on similar lights. I have a Quantum D2 that uses these cells and have thought of buying a few of these to give away as gifts but the chargers I found were all too pricy for what they were.

dks cy

« Reply #153 on: January 15, 2016, 10:09:04 PM »
The charger seems to work OK. I would have been happier using  other chargers, but the cell is too small. I have to see if it fits in my low end liion chargers.

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]
Global Moderator Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 19,999 I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
« Reply #154 on: January 15, 2016, 10:17:18 PM »
I know Ric from cnqualitygoods used to sell spacers for them to fit regular chargers. Can't remember what his new site is. :think:

dks cy

« Reply #155 on: January 15, 2016, 10:25:33 PM »
I thought he run two sites. Really, with over 20 micro USBs around the house, the cars etc. I do not see me bothering with a charger  :D

Wielder of the Bow of Banishment. Admin Team Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 29,774 El Presidente del Fan Club Micky D
« Reply #156 on: January 16, 2016, 12:41:01 PM »
Thanks for the review mate.  I rather like the look of that.  :facepalm:

Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 5,003
« Reply #157 on: January 16, 2016, 12:48:40 PM »
And since mine hasn't arrived yet, I'm so freakin tempted to buy an Olight S15 Baton or whatever the name exactly was :think:

dks cy

« Reply #158 on: January 16, 2016, 01:45:15 PM »
Thanks for the review mate.  I rather like the look of that.  :facepalm:
You provided the link  :cheers:

dks cy

« Reply #159 on: November 24, 2016, 10:26:32 AM »
ThruNite Ti CREE LED

I do not know if a titanium alloy torch can be considered budget, but I have left this thread all alone for too long.

I wondered into BLF, started looking at titanium lights, and ended up buying this, mainly for the impressive output, from such a small light.
The cost was around 30Euro, to my door.

This is the premium version of the ThruNite AAA lights, but, what I liked was than instead of just giving it a Titanium body, whilst keeping the rest the same as with the other models of the series that cost a lot less, they changed the LED to an XP-L Cree, which gives out 162Lm, from a regular battery, as opposed to the 120ish of most other lights, from LiIons.

It comes in a simple box, with a spear rubber gasket, a pocket clip and a key ring attachment.
Specifications, from the manufacturer:
Small but powerful one AAA flashlight, max output up to 162 lumen.
Four output modes: firefly, low, high and a hidden strobe.
LED: Cree XP-L V4 LED with a lifespan of 20+years of run time.
Battery: 1 AAA battery (Working voltage: 0.9-3V)
Dimension: 70mm(length)*14mm(head diameter)
Weight: 16 gram without battery.
OP Reflector give perfect flood.
Titanium alloy(TC4) body with polished finish.
Waterproof to IPX-8 standard.
Convenient twist switch for one hand operation.
Output and run time:
          - Firefly: 0.5 Lm(115h),
          - Low: 12 Lm(6.3h),
          - High: 162Lm(0.5h),
          - Strobe:162Lm(1 hour)

The mode memory is unusual. Basically, if you do not switch the light on in 10 seconds, it always starts on low
It looks nice, polished, though the weaker LUMINTOP looks nicer, at least in photographs.
The finish was fine but the threads needed a bit of cleaning – now it works very smoothly.

The comparison is done with the Tank007 E09, on LiIons.  The Thrunite is using an alkaline battery, as I expected the higher initial voltage to give it a brighter light.
They have similar size.

Even though the thrunite is not supposed to use LiIons, it has been tested with them, in other forums, and it works fine, getting very hot. The emitter is similar in output to an XML one, but smaller.

Both on high, the Thrunite is on the left.

By using it here and to illuminate various objects the thrunite produces the same intensity as the Tank007, but in a larger area- like using several Tank007s together to illuminate a larger area.
The thrunite has an OP reflector- the Tank007 has a polished, thrower style, one.

The beam is smooth and looks clean. It is supposed to be cool white.

Overall, it is an impressive light, both in quality and in output. It does dwarf the light of other AAA lights. 
It will be nice to see the same driver and LED in aluminium lights, for 10, 15 euro.

Operational Funds

Keep the Unworkable working! Donate with PayPal!
November Goal: $275.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: $405.43
PayPal Fees: $24.41
Net Balance: $381.02
Above Goal: $106.02
Site Currency: USD
139% 
November Donations

Community Links