Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

How's the Vic Velcro then?

us Offline turnsouth

• No Life Club
  • There is no spoon
on: February 17, 2012, 06:34:44 PM
Just wonder how well it holds up on their leather pouches?
Never underestimate the power of the fleece

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Re: How's the Vic Velcro then?
Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 08:09:27 PM
I've had no issues with any of mine so far (and I'm not normally a big fan of Velcro). :tu: 
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 10:45:38 PM
As someone who has carried Swisstools rather a lot over the years I regret to inform the velcro in my opinion sucks  :( I like the sheaths but I wear out the velcro way before the leather of stitching give up , and all you end up with is a loose flap .I would say 10 months to a year of daily use would render the velcro useless . When you look at it I don't think its too much of a price to buy a new sheath each year but if they could use better velcro or a different method of fastening then it would be better .

spam Offline J Mackrel Jones

Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 12:23:12 AM
"better velcro"  is sort of like "military intelligence".
Ask USAF Captain O'Grady what he thinks of the stuff.
(see page 211 SAKOM)
The work takes on a life unplanned
and the painter finds the painting directs the hand

ca Offline Beerplumber

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 12:38:41 AM
I got the nylon sheath with my spirit so I ordered a leather one hoping for snaps. My leather unit showed up with Velcro :(. The Velcro itself is not bad I guess but it seems to be a very small patch. I just dug all the lint out of mine hoping to revitalize its function after a year of wear but it doesn't seem much better. Metro recently acquired a press so I'm hoping to modify mine soon with a snap closure. The emblem looks tough to remove and may not go back on. Either this happens or I commission him to make me a spirit skinth. To answer your question I have to say the velcro is close to monkey poo status. I'm surprised Gareth gets along with his. Perhaps he's using the larger one for the swisstool? Eh Gareth?

Stay multi my friends

us Offline Chain Gang

Reply #5 on: February 18, 2012, 01:35:12 AM
Snap kits are less that $10 0n Amazon and that includes the installation tool.Easy to do. :tu:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: February 18, 2012, 09:29:56 AM
I got the nylon sheath with my spirit so I ordered a leather one hoping for snaps. My leather unit showed up with Velcro :(. The Velcro itself is not bad I guess but it seems to be a very small patch. I just dug all the lint out of mine hoping to revitalize its function after a year of wear but it doesn't seem much better. Metro recently acquired a press so I'm hoping to modify mine soon with a snap closure. The emblem looks tough to remove and may not go back on. Either this happens or I commission him to make me a spirit skinth. To answer your question I have to say the velcro is close to monkey poo status. I'm surprised Gareth gets along with his. Perhaps he's using the larger one for the swisstool? Eh Gareth?

Stay multi my friends
Nope, I've got a leather Spirit sheath and a couple of Vic SAK sheaths as well.  I think what I like about them all, is not so much the Velcro itself, but the fact that all the sheaths are well formed and the flaps pretty much sit in the closed position all by themselves.  The Velcro really just stops them flapping about.

This is not my experience with my Nylon Leatherman sheaths sadly.  The flaps on the two I have both want to stick out and it's only the fact the Velcro is there that keeps it in place rather than the shape of the sheath. 

So I guess I'm saying that the Velcro itself is likely no better from any of the other brands I have, just well used IMO. 
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #7 on: February 18, 2012, 09:33:07 AM
I agree with you about the actual sheath its nice .I wish they offered it in a snap closure .

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #8 on: February 18, 2012, 10:28:45 AM
I agree with you about the actual sheath its nice .I wish they offered it in a snap closure .

I don't know about the Spirit but the leather SwissTool sheath is available with a snap closure. My BMW sheath has no velcro.
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #9 on: February 18, 2012, 02:26:13 PM

I don't know about the Spirit but the leather SwissTool sheath is available with a snap closure. My BMW sheath has no velcro.

The RT came with a press stud instead of velcro, and I'm sure I've seen similar available seperately somewhere  :think:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

be Offline Top-Gear-24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #10 on: February 18, 2012, 03:07:10 PM

The RT came with a press stud instead of velcro, and I'm sure I've seen similar available seperately somewhere  :think:
May I add a picture off the "Road Tour" and its great sheat ... ? (any reason for a picture of a Vic Spirit is a good reason in my book  ;))

Now, back on topic ...  ;)

I think I would put a snap on a Vic velcro sheat right away (if I owned one ...), a couple of months ago I bought myself some snaps and the installation tool to put two snaps on the velcro wristband of my Garrett Metaldetector (dirt, sand, dust ... none of these are good friends with velcro so it seems  ::)) and it worked like a charm.  Since then I also put a snap on a very old Nylon Leatherman sheat, and I love it  8).

us Offline Sazabi

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #11 on: February 18, 2012, 03:46:29 PM

May I add a picture off the "Road Tour" and its great sheat ... ? (any reason for a picture of a Vic Spirit is a good reason in my book  ;))

(Image removed from quote.)

Now, back on topic ...  ;)

I think I would put a snap on a Vic velcro sheat right away (if I owned one ...), a couple of months ago I bought myself some snaps and the installation tool to put two snaps on the velcro wristband of my Garrett Metaldetector (dirt, sand, dust ... none of these are good friends with velcro so it seems  ::)) and it worked like a charm.  Since then I also put a snap on a very old Nylon Leatherman sheat, and I love it  8).

:ahhh  That's the perfect leather sheath - leather enclosure, snap closing system.  Now to see if they sell the sheath separately. :drool:

ca Offline Beerplumber

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: February 18, 2012, 05:09:13 PM
Yes other than the Velcro I'm very pleased with the sheath. Sturdy and good shape for sure.

Stay multi my friends

ca Offline Beerplumber

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: February 18, 2012, 05:11:07 PM
Daaaamn I need to get me one of these.

Stay multi my friends

us Offline turnsouth

• No Life Club
  • There is no spoon
Reply #14 on: February 18, 2012, 06:36:28 PM
I got my spirit in today, and it came with the brown leather sheath. I see that the Victorinox medallion is riveted on to the flap, and it looks like it will have to come off when the time comes to add a snap to the sheath.

Anyone ever tried taking one of these off before?
Never underestimate the power of the fleece

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #15 on: February 18, 2012, 07:19:31 PM

:)
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: February 19, 2012, 06:03:01 AM
I've not had any issue with the velcro on my Spirit Nylon sheath and it's more than a year of EDC.  Still I prefer a Snap, but I wish they would PVD coat them, not crazy about them being silver and the painted ones just look bad after a short while.

The case for the Spirit RT is very nice, the leather is a matte finish and it's wonderful.  I've never seen it available separately.

For my Spirit EDC I like a black, or mostly black sheath. Looking to get a Skinth Sheath soon to try, and have handy for when the Vic one does give up the ghost, but I have an RT sheath to fall back on... it just looks so damn good I hate to carry it... but....

If I didn't need black for EDC I'd use the green military style one, it's wonderful for the Spirit, and the velcro patch is several inches... it would not be an issue for me.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $36.34
PayPal Fees: $1.66
Net Balance: $34.68
Below Goal: $265.32
Site Currency: USD
 12%