Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Aloxworld picture update

Zag · 7 · 2439

gb Offline Zag

Aloxworld picture update
on: February 20, 2012, 07:17:19 PM
Hello! :)

I have been updating www.aloxworld.com for the best part of the last three days. It was long due...
This time has been spent mainly on page and text formatting but i have also added the pictures of many knives.

When I started AloxWorld my intention was to put the pictures of the knives in my collection. As you might know, I have decided a while ago to refocus my Alox collection a bit more and stopped collecting every single Alox out there  ::)
It means that many Alox models would now not have their picture up. So, I took the decision of uploading pictures of the missing knives that I had downloaded from the internet overtime.
I realize that I do not own these pictures and that if their owner would like me to remove them from the website I will immediately do so.
I took me several years to get all these picture together and i can't recall anymore where I got most of them from. Feel free to give me a shout if you recognize your picture and want me to remove it.
Alternatively, if you have a better picture of one of the missing knife and want me to upload it on AW let me know  :D

All the best
Zag  :tu:
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 07:41:49 PM by Zag »
AloxWorld.com

us Offline ColoSwiss

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Aloxworld picture update
Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 07:41:35 PM
Looks great. :tu:

One piece of info. I have a photocopied ad showing the Voyageur with combo tool as the Touriste/Tourist. The combined French/English names may indicate its Canadian usage.

Karl

gb Offline Zag

Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 07:48:28 PM
Looks great. :tu:

One piece of info. I have a photocopied ad showing the Voyageur with combo tool as the Touriste/Tourist. The combined French/English names may indicate its Canadian usage.

Karl

Thanks Karl!
I've added the information
AloxWorld.com

gb Offline nsa-x-file

• No Life Club
  • In a world of compromise, some don't.
Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 11:23:54 PM
Great work as always.  :salute:
A site I always check on when I need some info fast.

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 12:13:03 AM
.... I took the decision of uploading pictures of the missing knives that I had downloaded from the internet overtime.
I realize that I do not own these pictures ....
I took me several years to get all these picture together and i can't recall anymore where I got most of them from. ....

Sorry, but this sounds crazy!

If you know these are not your pictures, then it up to you to either know that you have permission to use them or not include them on your website.  You've just admitted to violating copyright laws.  It is not legal to violate the law until the infringement is recognized.

A person cannot be expected to go check every website to see if people are using their images.  We don't have time to check everyone of your images.

You've basically made the decision to violate copyrights in the hope that no one will notice.  Very much like many ebay sellers do.

I think you should respect the owner's rights to the image and remove any of them that you do not have permission to use.

:facepalm:

gb Offline user24

• SAK collector and all-purpose geek
Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 03:15:22 PM
You can try to find the original source by uploading the picture to http://www.tineye.com.

I see ICanFixThat's point but I personally wouldn't lose sleep over it.
"Nothing endures but change" - Heraclitus.

Offline RedRamage

Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 05:00:37 PM
I guess I'm of two minds on this one... At first blush it doesn't look like you're trying to make money off this site... it more of an informational entity, just putting the info out there for the betterment of everyone.  So on that end, while you are violating copyright, you're not doing it for profit so I don't see as much of an ethical issue (though it is still illegal).

On the other hand while perusing through your site I did see a number of pictures that are clearly stamped with "Copyright AloxWorld.com" so it's clear that you have an interest in being recognized and protected from others using your pictures without permission.  If you expect others to (at a minimum) indicate the source of any pictures they use from you, then you owe it to at least make every attempt to do the same for pictures you are using from others.  I'd use tineye.com to find as much info as I could.

On a side note: are pictures on the SakWiki public domain?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD
24%