Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Need help with Vic's for my sons?

Offline jdhermit

Need help with Vic's for my sons?
on: February 20, 2012, 08:08:53 PM
 Hi all.  Appreciate any help...
My 2 sons and I have been all about SAK's ever since I found a 30'ish year old Wenger I carried as a boy.
So now, the buying begins.   :whistle:
I want to buy all three of us a single model...large one at that, and have them engraved.
Question first- I've thought about a SwissChamp, because my 12 year old son has been saving for one, specifically.  (Did I mention I want a large model?)  So are there other models that are bigger than the SwissChamp, but not crazy $$.  I'm ok spending around the $100 range, not $200 or so.  Any suggestions are welcome, but SwissChamp is a minimum size.   :D
Question second- Where/how should I do the engraving?  Local? Jewelry store?

We watched the movie Dolphin Tale recently, and that got me thinking I needed to do this project for them.  (Large, engraved SAK appearance)

Appreciate it!
jd

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Need help with Vic's for my sons?
Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 08:14:20 PM
SwissChamp would be good, but you might want to think about a Cybertool 41
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline GigaHz

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 08:37:06 PM
Sometimes you can find Swisschamp XLTs around $150.

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 08:39:36 PM
I'm with Gareth :tu:

Or if you're lucky you may find an XLT for around $100, but it would be second hand and if you want 3 of those... you'd have to be very lucky :D
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

us Offline GigaHz

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 08:56:17 PM
This one was a buy it now for 59$ of of eBay about 4 months ago. I don't think he knew what he was selling. I think the bottle opener was the only thing ever used.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 09:01:23 PM by GigaHz »

us Offline stressmaster5000

• No Life Club
  • No PM's - just email please
Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 09:10:48 PM
I would recommend going ahead with the SwissChamp model. The CyberTool 41 and CyberTool Lite models are larger and great choices but I think you will find they are in shorter supply. It will be much easier to obtain 3 SwissChamps at once. :salute:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: February 20, 2012, 09:13:50 PM
I would recommend going ahead with the SwissChamp model. The CyberTool 41 and CyberTool Lite models are larger and great choices but I think you will find they are in shorter supply. It will be much easier to obtain 3 SwissChamps at once. :salute:

BTW I actually agree with this.  The SwissChamp is the safer option IMO, less to go wrong or get lost. :)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #7 on: February 20, 2012, 09:17:14 PM
Bargain, GigaHz :tu:

Mine was around $70 including the huge leather sheath.

I do think the regular SwissChimp is the right choice though.

us Offline GigaHz

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: February 20, 2012, 09:23:01 PM
My first XLT was new. It was less than $100 shipped. These sure have gone up over the years.

de Offline Jmora

Reply #9 on: February 20, 2012, 09:42:45 PM
I agree that the swisschamp will be easier to find than the CT41, though I think I prefer the CT41 - if you didn't know, it basically replaces the fish scaler and philips/magnifier layer with a really good multifunction screwdriver set.
An advantage of the swisschamp is that there are lots of different scale types, including more special scales than cellidor, this includes wood, stag, horn, mother of pearl, if you were after a few slight variations to distinguish your knives.

Offline jdhermit

Reply #10 on: February 20, 2012, 10:16:50 PM
Thanks for replies so far...
Shoot, I've LOVE the XLT, if I could find 3 @ reasonable price, I'd be good with them.

But they're $180 on Amazon right now...higher than I wanted to go.
Just last week bought a MiniChamp, so the SwissChamp would be a good big brother.

Hate to ask, because I really love Vic's, but any Wenger's that might be in the ballpark?  Yes, I'll go look those up, but if anyone has suggestion for Wengers, appreciate it.

Any idea's about engraving? 

Thanks again!
jd

us Offline GigaHz

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: February 20, 2012, 10:22:17 PM
Wenger tool chest plus is around $100.

00 Offline Carlos

Reply #12 on: February 20, 2012, 10:24:34 PM
You can also check the 111mm models, like the workchamp.

But my reference for the big ones, while still usable, is the swisschamp. I don't mind much about the magnifier glass but I love the fish scaler: the tip is useful to untie knots, the dents to scrap things without damaging them, like scrap ice, remove dirt from clothes, not to mention their proper designed functionalities  :D I've also used the rule many times.

The multifunction driver of the cyber family is also very nice and the ct41 makes a fine bulky piece too.

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: February 20, 2012, 10:40:57 PM
The Work Champ is a great tool.  Got one for myself last fall and it's become my favorite DIY SAK.  It's become my dedicated camping and hiking tool.  If you look around, you can find them for $65 - $70.  There's a great review on it here in the reviews section.

I know you said you wanted to get larger tools, but have you considered an Explorer?  They have all the cool stuff your sons will like (such as the magnifying glass) and are very reasonably priced.  You can get one for about $32.

The Craftsman is a good tool too.  A couple layers thinner than the Swiss Champ, but still has all the main tools like the pliers, scissors, file, saw, etc.
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: February 21, 2012, 01:47:45 AM
Thanks for replies so far...

Hate to ask, because I really love Vic's, but any Wenger's that might be in the ballpark?  Yes, I'll go look those up, but if anyone has suggestion for Wengers, appreciate it.

Thanks again!
jd
I would recommend the Wenger EVO S557 - http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=EVO+S557 and it can be had with Grip scales or Wood scales AFAIK.

us Offline kmanct3

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: February 21, 2012, 02:53:00 AM
If you buy from the Swiss Knife Shop, they do the engraving.They have done a few for me.

de Offline Jmora

Reply #16 on: February 21, 2012, 01:32:13 PM
I think anything larger than the swisschamp will probably only be a novelty item to put on your desk, the swisschamp is about the upper limit of size that is still very practical and comfortable in the hand.
also in the super large category is the Workchamp XL - 111mm SAK with practically every tool there ever was on that frame: http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=WorkChamp+XL

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: February 21, 2012, 07:36:40 PM
I think the regular Work Champ is a very usable size.  I don't have any problem with it, but my hands are a bit on the large side, so YMMV.

I couldn't find one listed on FelineVet's store, but I did find one on the big A for a decent price.

http://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Swiss-Champ-Pocket-Knife/dp/B0007QCP4G/ref=pd_sim_sg_41
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

Offline jdhermit

Reply #18 on: February 22, 2012, 03:13:55 AM
Hmm...like the work champ too...thanks for that...
How do you think it would be for kids?

Want it big, but not unmanageable...they will be using them!   :tu:

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #19 on: February 22, 2012, 07:22:41 AM
IMHO the Workchamp is too big for kids. It's an impressive SAK but you really need big hands :)

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: February 22, 2012, 07:34:59 AM
They are not into pliers based multitools? otherwise 3 spirits - got all the tools you would want in a tight package...

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: February 22, 2012, 07:44:19 AM
IMHO the Workchamp is too big for kids. It's an impressive SAK but you really need big hands :)
+1

just too big for kids hands, go with the SwissChamp!

00 Offline Carlos

Reply #22 on: February 22, 2012, 12:46:17 PM
One think I don't like on the 111ers is that they use the same tools -- excepting the main blade -- as the 91ers, in spite having more room. I would appreciate longer pliers, scissors, and so on. Also the handles format favors the use of forward inline tools but become cumbersome when using the others (back tools, and inline that open "backwards").

Even so, those are great models, although understandably less popular than the 91ers.

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #23 on: February 22, 2012, 12:57:00 PM
You're right Carlos (except for saw and metal file/saw, those are bigger, aren't they :think:). But keep in mind that the smaller pliers & scissors allow for the two different Phillips drivers to be in the same layer. Which is quite nice :)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD
24%