Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

My Sportman arrived and loving it :)

sg Offline demonoflust

My Sportman arrived and loving it :)
on: March 19, 2012, 12:42:10 PM
I bought a Sportman from DX last week and received it today. I thought I will get the Sportman II because of the lower price but it was the one with Cellidor scale. Very nice, I will add a straight pin and a mini-screw driver to it.

The only other 84mm I have is Bantam and maybe my hand is small, I find the 84mm suite me very well. I like the size and how beautiful it look. I place it on my desk just to look at it while I'm serving the net.

Now some minor rant, the nail file seems to close to the main blade and will rub on it. Also the nail catch for on the awl is facing the corkscrew making it harder to open for short nail. It will be nice if the nail catch is on the other side opposite the corkscrew. I guess the awl and nail file is make standard so it can be fitted in various model/configuration. It make less sense to make different configuration if it is minor annoyance. Then, I though the Swiss is obsess with precision? Haha, kidding.

84mm SAK, absolutely beautiful. Waiting for my other 3 Wenger to come :)

us Offline Southern Dad

Re: My Sportman arrived and loving it :)
Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 01:28:35 PM
Congratulations on your getting your Sportsman. 84mm is probably my favorite size SAK. I just received a 74mm Victorinox Moneyclip last week and it has the same problem with the file touching the blade when I go to open it up. But it's just a little bit. I bought my son a Cadet and it also does the same thing sometimes. 

sg Offline demonoflust

Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 01:41:13 PM
Congratulations on your getting your Sportsman. 84mm is probably my favorite size SAK. I just received a 74mm Victorinox Moneyclip last week and it has the same problem with the file touching the blade when I go to open it up. But it's just a little bit. I bought my son a Cadet and it also does the same thing sometimes.

Too bad Victorinox doesn't make a lot of 84mm models. Yeah, the nail file is normal I know maybe the should put the file facing away the blade.

us Offline Sazabi

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 02:11:09 PM

Too bad Victorinox doesn't make a lot of 84mm models. Yeah, the nail file is normal I know maybe the should put the file facing away the blade.

That's what Wenger does; their nail files face toward the scale of the knife, away from the blade, and the awl is opened opposite the other backspring tool; really works well for them. :tu:

And yes, I love my Sportsman - just wish Plus scales were normal Victorinox fair, but oh well. :D

sg Offline demonoflust

Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 02:34:03 PM
That's why I bought some Wenger :) most of the Wenger are 85mm too so it is quite close to what I like in term of size. Then, Victorinox always seems to pack more tools in similar thickness compare to Wenger. What is means...... we need to buy both Victorinox and Wenger haha.

Oh great!

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 08:33:18 PM
My appetite for Wenger increased once I'd figured out how much I loved the 84mm Vics, and then realised how limited the range was. My appetite for Wenger then diminished when I realised they were moving almost away from plain scales (not a fan of Evo) and away from slip jointed blades  :-\

I managed to acquire a few 84mm Vics and non-Evo Wengers over the last 12 months though, so I'm happy enough  :D

Hooray for MTO and EDCSource  ;)

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

sg Offline demonoflust

Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 02:38:40 AM
There was a not bad condition 84mm golfer, the smaller version of Compact sold for about $12+ on ebay few days ago. I forgotten about it so I didn't bid it  :P

The interesting feeling I got from VSAK/WSAK is, with combo can/cap opener it can save 1 layer placing in the same layer with the main blade. Then, the can opener is a good screw driver for common hex screw. If Victorinox can reshape the combo tool tip so it can fit a regular hex screw will be great.

Same for the WSAKs, if they can reshape their can opener to fit a hex screw it will be great too.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $56.34
PayPal Fees: $2.74
Net Balance: $53.60
Below Goal: $246.40
Site Currency: USD
18%