Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Will bottle openers become irrelevant?

Offline silentio

Will bottle openers become irrelevant?
on: February 04, 2008, 12:02:10 PM
I noticed that many tools, even the tiny ones which don't have too many features come with bottle openers. A lot of the bottles I see these days are either made of plastic with screw-on caps or have caps that can be twisted off.

Is this becoming a trend everywhere else too?

Will this make bottle openers on tools irrelevant in time to come?

I suppose the same can be said for can openers, as discussed on another thread. But from my own experience, I still use a can opener but haven't used a bottle opener in ages.

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Re: Will bottle openers become irrelevant?
Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 12:17:22 PM
I don't think so.

Most of the regular bottle openers I see are attached to other implements that are themselves much more useful.

SOG and Victorinox stick their bottle openers onto large flathead drivers which serve as mini-prybars as well as drivers. Leatherman has their wire-stripper on their can/bottle opener as well.

Seems like the bottle opener is kind of a "gimme" tool since it is not usually a prime implement but piggy-backs onto others, thus cementing it's position on the regular multi.

That said, even if they did go away, most multis can usually just be turned on their side and used to pry the cap off with the faces of the handles.

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
  • Hello...is this thing on?
Reply #2 on: February 04, 2008, 12:26:53 PM
All the bottled beer I see in this country requires a bottle opener to get into. So in the UK at least they still have a big market for the bottle opener!

Roadie
Life is like a sandwich...the older it gets the crustier it becomes!

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #3 on: February 04, 2008, 12:51:26 PM
All the bottled beer I see in this country requires a bottle opener to get into. So in the UK at least they still have a big market for the bottle opener!

Roadie

Yeah screw tops and plastic caps are not very common over here.  So the bottle opener still sees plenty of use.

A lot of cans here now though have the ring pulls on them, so the can opener is rarely needed.
I'm back!!

Offline Thargor

Reply #4 on: February 04, 2008, 01:45:26 PM
No matter what happens I think quality beer will always need a bottle opener the way quality wine needs a corkscrew.

Offline FredKJ

Reply #5 on: February 04, 2008, 02:18:19 PM
Have you ever tried screwing off those beer screw caps?  They are an itch with a b.  When I have tried they can rip my hands open.  While screw on beer caps are widely used I still open them with an opener whenever I can.  Those screw caps sort of work.  Most of the time I use an opener and don't even try them with my hands.

Offline Speaker

Reply #6 on: February 04, 2008, 04:44:08 PM
oh, my post from another thread fits this one much more than where I originally posted it :)
here it is

yeah... we all can find a few excuses for having a bottle opener handy
However, I don't use it to open bottles - instead I use all sorts of things: knives, keys, another bottle, etc. It happens much faster than taking out a multitool/SAK and then opening the bottle opener.
We have a saying here: If you open bottles with a bottle opener, you're getting older ;)
Of course, there are situation where using a bottle opener is a politically correct way to open a bottle.

getting a bit off topic... Do you guys always open bottles with bottle openers?

By the way, I've been reading this forum for a while but never posted anything until recently.
You guys have a great source of information about multitools here. Thanks!
« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 04:45:42 PM by Speaker »

00 Offline Dtrain

• "Southbound Whatchya Leave Behind Ya?"
Reply #7 on: February 04, 2008, 04:54:48 PM
I think,myself as time goes on that at least here in the US the can opener is in more danger of becoming irrelevant
than the bottle opener.Seems like alot of Microbrews out there still have tops requiring a bottle opener.But,these days more and more canned goods are coming with a pop top lid.The bottle opener still has a use,not everyone has the handstrengh to twist off a top.They might be suffering from an injury or illness that makes the task a challenge.
The bottle opener works for them in those circumstances.

Another Scenario is for the bottle opener is that some people have "Soft Hands Syndrome" this occurs when men in particular have been doing way too many dishes with Palmolive Brand Dish soap.Some symptons of this are tearing,or ripping of the flesh on the hands when attempting to open various beverages. :D

The only known cure for this is a "GetYourWifetoWashDishes" regime.But,for many that is not an option

For them,the Bottle opener is an essential option on their MultiTool of Choice :climber:

Here is a pic of Def trying the "Cure" :twak:

Pic of Dtrain's aproach :climber:= :cheers:

LOL Just teasing,I personally dont see the bottle opener going anywhere soon,same with the can opener.Tools might be offered without them but plenty still will be offered with them
"It seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time"

Offline FredKJ

Reply #8 on: February 04, 2008, 04:57:28 PM
I'm hardly politically correct, just getting older I suppose.  They do tend to rip on my hands and I always have a SAK handy so why even rip my hands.  Those screw tops are not ergonomic or user friendly.

00 Offline Dtrain

Reply #9 on: February 04, 2008, 05:00:41 PM
Thats why God gave us Teeth.....

I am sorry,I am just bieng silly today >:D.I hope I have not offended anyone.If I have I am sorry. :angel:

Dtrain :multi: :climber: :tool: :sak:

us Offline WhichDawg

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #10 on: February 04, 2008, 05:02:54 PM
Maybe Girlie hands need them!

Offline FredKJ

Reply #11 on: February 04, 2008, 05:05:04 PM

I am sorry,I am just bieng silly today >:D.I hope I have not offended anyone.If I have I am sorry. :angel:

On this forum, are you kidding?  Besides it just looks like I was called a girlie man.   :D

00 Offline Dtrain

Reply #12 on: February 04, 2008, 05:13:50 PM

On this forum, are you kidding?  Besides it just looks like I was called a girlie man.   :D

Do not feel bad.There is only one man that needs no openers, Bottle or Cap......

He uses his stare....................................................................................

His name is............................................................................................

NORRIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dtrain

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #13 on: February 04, 2008, 05:14:00 PM
LOL Fred  :P

Offline FredKJ

Reply #14 on: February 04, 2008, 05:26:23 PM
I'm not a girlie man.  It's just a neat excuse to use my SAK.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it.  As long as I don't use my multi-plier for interior decorating I'll be ok. 

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
  • Plants should be smoked, not eaten.
Reply #15 on: February 04, 2008, 05:44:53 PM
Usually I open a bottle with the handles to my kitchen drawers. Grab beer outta fridge, turn right about 30 degrees, and open bottle on handle.

As far as can openers I've noticed that at least in my area Spaghetio's still need one. 
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

It's hard to say nipple without smirking.

us Offline Splat

Reply #16 on: February 04, 2008, 06:31:26 PM
I noticed that many tools, even the tiny ones which don't have too many features come with bottle openers. A lot of the bottles I see these days are either made of plastic with screw-on caps or have caps that can be twisted off.
Is this becoming a trend everywhere else too?

You ever drink a beer from one of those plastic bottles? Ugh! Give me glass anyday, which usually needs an opener. I don't think bottle openers will disappear any time soon. Lotsa campers use MT's and there's a couple of uses you can get from an opener other than for bottles.
Splat

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: February 04, 2008, 08:16:02 PM
I've never seen one of these plastic beer bottles - and I don't even drink fancy beer (My two options when I go to the bottleoh are "piss" and "Swill" - Unless I have recently come into some wealth, in which case I splurge a little on Hooch.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #18 on: February 04, 2008, 08:44:30 PM
The only time I've ever seen beer in plastic bottles is a public events where the organizers don't want glass bottles broken over heads.  I always hunt down the draft (draught) beer stands at those events.

I guess the only exception is the Guiness Draught that is now sold in plastic bottles everywhere.
- Terry

us Offline Splat

Reply #19 on: February 04, 2008, 09:18:10 PM
UIM, Coors and Bud offer beer in plastic bottles, or they used to. I try to stay away from those two brands though. I'll take a Schaefer unless there's some high-shelf swill being offered.
Splat

Offline FredKJ

Reply #20 on: February 04, 2008, 10:01:50 PM
I prefer a nice Czech Pilsner but go with an Irish stout on occasion.  Those fancy European beers need an opener.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #21 on: February 04, 2008, 10:39:59 PM
UIM, Coors and Bud offer beer in plastic bottles, or they used to. I try to stay away from those two brands though. I'll take a Schaefer unless there's some high-shelf swill being offered.

They still do.  I'm just saying I don't see them for sale or being consumed unless I'm at an organized public gathering...

I pretty much drink them all (except Bud Light), but I prefer a microbrew or belgian/german ales and lagers.  Stouts and Porters are fair game also.

How in the hell did Bud Light become the best selling beer in America?  Talk about swill...
- Terry

Offline FredKJ

Reply #22 on: February 04, 2008, 11:11:39 PM
Actually Budweiser was a czech pilsner.  Budweiser is the Germanified name for Budevice, the Czech town where it was originally brewed.  The Americans got hold of it and made it into watered down piss.  But over their the stuff isn't pasturized which destroys the flavor.  As you can see I'll need my bottle opener for a long time.

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
  • Plants should be smoked, not eaten.
Reply #23 on: February 04, 2008, 11:42:07 PM
I've actually had the original Budweiser. They had some in a bar that I was in when I was stationed in Europe. I didn't like it too much. Which is unusual because I like most beer. Everything from cheap PBR to the finest microbrew. It's all good and has its place. Everyone down talks American beer but when you've just spent 3 hours busting your ass out in the sun that's what I want. A nice cold Bud. However, when I'm eating a thick porterhouse, gimme a real nice hefeweizen.
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

It's hard to say nipple without smirking.

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #24 on: February 05, 2008, 01:09:07 AM
Very interesting Fred, I didn't know that!  :cheers:
B

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #25 on: February 05, 2008, 01:36:14 AM
Actually Budweiser was a czech pilsner.  Budweiser is the Germanified name for Budevice, the Czech town where it was originally brewed.  The Americans got hold of it and made it into watered down piss.  But over their the stuff isn't pasturized which destroys the flavor.  As you can see I'll need my bottle opener for a long time.

Actually, it's called Budvar, and it's brewed in Budweis, Czechoslovakia.

You can blame the watered-down piss that Budweiser, an unrelated beer, became in the US on prohibition.

I drink quite a bit of that watered-down piss, but I can't stand Bud Light.  Oh--DTH.  There's certainly nothing wrong with PBR.  It's great beer-especially for the price.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 02:02:01 AM by NutSAK »
- Terry

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #26 on: February 05, 2008, 01:37:34 AM
I didn't know that NutSAK! :cheers:
B

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #27 on: February 05, 2008, 02:01:04 AM
I didn't know that NutSAK! :cheers:

BTW, Budweiser Budvar is not even related to the Anheuser-Busch company.  The Budweiser brand from Anheuser-Busch was produced and trademarked in 1876, and the Czech brewer didn't start using the name until 1895.  The Czech beer is known here (in the US) as Czechvar because of trade name disputes.

Adolphus Busch was a German immigrant, not Czech.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 02:30:12 AM by NutSAK »
- Terry

Offline FredKJ

Reply #28 on: February 05, 2008, 02:45:19 AM

Actually, it's called Budvar, and it's brewed in Budweis, Czechoslovakia.

You can blame the watered-down piss that Budweiser, an unrelated beer, became in the US on prohibition.

I drink quite a bit of that watered-down piss, but I can't stand Bud Light.  Oh--DTH.  There's certainly nothing wrong with PBR.  It's great beer-especially for the price.

Budweis is the German name for Budevice.  Most Czech towns have a Germanic form of the name.  It's the same place.  And there is no more Czechoslovakia.  They split up in 91 during the velvet divorce.  So there is the Czech Republic and Slovakia.  I know I have sipped Pilsner Urquell on the old town square in Prague.  Unfortunately production of Pilsner Urquell was exported to Poland.  Of course our Guiness is now made in Canada.  So the world goes to hell in a hand basket.  The Czechs and the Germans have a thing going over who makes the best beer.  Czechs are renowned for the lighter Pilsners and lagers.  The term pilsner comes from the Czech town of Pilzn.  Then there is a Czech lager called Czechvar.

us Offline Pacu

Reply #29 on: February 05, 2008, 02:51:36 AM
Here in Texas we have Big Red in glass bottles u have to use a bottle opener for.

Any drink in a glass bottle tastes 100% better than the same thing in plastic or can and worth the extra $.

Hence...hold on to those bottle openers...grab an ice cold Big Red and watch some Tour de France on the OLN.
:like:    :MTO:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD