Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Talked a friend into getting a Crosscut

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
on: April 14, 2012, 08:58:03 PM
I haven't been on the boards long, but I've posted a pretty good deal about my single favorite MT, my Crosscut.

I've been trying to get a friend to try MTs, he's a tool loving kind of guy, and keep thinking he'll get excited about them some day. So I showed him my EDC, and explained why I thought it worked well. He and his wife had a Micra that they weren't happy with, and I let them do side-by-sides with the Crosscut. He was finally sold on the idea, and just got his own Crosscut in the mail yesterday.

One of the things I'd repeatedly told him was that the Crosscut would cut a credit card in half. Strangely, yesterday, when it came, they got a credit card in the mail they didn't want, and being the skeptic he is tested my statement... and tested cutting the card with a full-size pair of scissors. He reports that the Crosscut took the same amount of effort to cut the card as full-size scissors.

While I'm a fan of the Crosscut, I was a little sad to see 'China' stamped on his new one. Also, the new one he has is slightly different from mine, with detents on the blade heads that create resistance to opening from the closed position, enough to reasonably ensure it won't open in pocket carry.

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #1 on: April 14, 2012, 09:05:23 PM
From my pow the new version is every bit as good as the old one, so point of origin dosn't bother me one bit.. :tu: Gotta love those small SOG'ers.. :D

Sent from my iPhone

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Re: Talked a friend into getting a Crosscut
Reply #2 on: April 14, 2012, 10:43:47 PM
We did a very detailed examination of his new one, and my old one, and the new one favored very well. In fact, as I mentioned above, it has at least one improvement (designed not to open easily in-pocket). Mine came with a little plastic sheath, which I guess was the original solution to the problem of it possibly opening in a pocket. Also, the finish on mine is not as polished as the new one. It's not like it's dull from age, it was just never as shiny.

I am still absolutely a fan of the tool, and if his lasts like mine has, I'm sure he will be too.

I have used mine beyond 'reasonable limits' for a keychain size tool, and it has taken the punishment with very little effect on performance. The scissor blades have a few tiny nicks, but for 15 years of use, I think that's reasonable. The minor rust on one of the springs at the compound pivot is my fault for neglect of proper servicing, not a knock on the quality of the tool. For a piece that has never been oiled or sharpened, it still to this day is working like a champ.

I have paired mine with a Sheffield 12010, which is like a keychain size PST II. And I got another keychain tool that is essentially the same thing (called a Tool Choice mini multi tool), that I gave to the friend who purchased the Crosscut. So now he's carrying the same combination as I am.

He had carried an old Victorinox Explorer swiss army knife, but switched to the two key-chain MT setup I have. The weight of the two tools together is within 1/10 of an ounce of the weight of the knife, but that's really irrelevant, since he carried the knife, and now the MTs in his backpack, not pocket.

I'm keeping my eye out for an improvement on the Sheffield, but it is insanely good for being a little knock-off, and I don't think I'd improve my functionality with (for instance) a Squirt PS4. It'd just be more expensive, and get scratched up.

If anyone cares to see what 15 years of wear looks like on a crosscut, I took a pic of it Thursday, for the 'Multitool Stuck in a Log' thread. Note the 'Patent Pending' mark on it.

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,36061.msg592240.html#msg592240

us Offline Dr.Lipids

Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 02:45:55 AM
Now I do really like SOG, but I have a hard time reading that people don't like the Micra!  :o  I was just using it today and was thinking, "This has done everything I've wanted it to!" And its such a manageable size  and no pokey parts when its in your pocket. 

Maybe I should try a crosscut sometime to compare them.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #4 on: April 15, 2012, 09:26:27 AM
Obviously, this is just my totally biased opinion, but the Micra does not stack up to the Crosscut. I'm not saying it's a bad tool. My husband carries one that I got for him. It's just not as good as the Crosscut.

The scissors are not as good on the Micra (or Squirt S4). The tweezers are much better on the Crosscut, IMO, but are wider, which some people don't like. Both score points here vs. the Victorinox knives in that the tweezers can't be lost. Cap lifter is the same on both. I thought the mini screwdriver on the Crosscut was the best I'd ever seen short of the jewelers bits on the Wave. The blade is virtually identical on both. I'm not a fan of chisel grinds, but I haven't needed to sharpen the blade since I got my crosscut. I don't torture it or anything. Mostly I just use it to open package tape. File is WAY better on the Crosscut, in my opinion. Flathead drivers are the same. If I recall, the Micra has a phillips, the only thing I regret is absent on the Crosscut. The Crosscut has a toothpick which, like it's tweezers, can't be lost. The loss of the Phillips is irrelevant to me since I carry a second tool with a full 3 dimensional phillips head, and little pliers.

I can't speak to the stabby gear problem since I carry mine in my purse. I could imagine it might cause problems, but I don't know one way or the other.

A few years ago, I misplaced my Crosscut. It was gone a few months and I replaced it with a Micra. I loathed everything about the Micra in comparison to the Crosscut. When I found the Crosscut again, I gave the Micra away to a coworker. I do freely admit I have some serious bias, but you tend to get that after a decade or so of solid performance from a tool. My friend who got the Crosscut also had a Micra and didn't like the scissors, along with a few other things. He has thus far been happy with his Crosscut.

I think I'd rather carry a Micra than a Victorinox Classic, and I wouldn't knock someone carrying a Vic Classic, so I'm certainly not going to knock someone carrying a Micra. It's a very good tool. I just prefer the Crosscut. I'd also prefer a Micra to a Squirt S4. I like the external access to the blade on the Squirt, but I think too much is lost in the compromise to get that to make it worth it.

us Offline radiotecha1234

Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 11:20:40 PM
You should be a salesperson.

After listening to you talk about the Crosscut I went and ordered one right away. It just so happens that I have always been looking for a pair of scissors that I can flip open one handed.
I am peeved that the scissors on my Style CS are as difficult to open as they are and there are not any  other OHO scissors that I have found that are suitable (except maybe the LM Surge).

Thank you for the info.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 11:59:43 PM
While I could thumb-open my pair, I don't think you'll be able to OHO the current version. They added detents to the scissor blades that make them strongly WANT to stay closed. Once past that initial resistance though, they'll open easily.

Sorry if that wasn't clear above, or if this is a deal breaker for you.

However, other than that, I think you'll love the tool.

ca Offline Beerplumber

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: April 17, 2012, 12:23:13 AM
I keep a crosscut on an 's'biner so i can use it with out my keys dangling. I very much like my crosscut as well. These are the only tweezers I get along with, much more useable/heavy-duty IMO. All I really want in a keychain tool is on the crosscut.

With a little practice you can definitely OHO them. I can do it, not fast or graceful but it can be done. I've only had them open inadvertently maybe once but hasn't been an issue either. 

Stay multi my friends

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #8 on: April 17, 2012, 01:17:53 AM
I'm very glad to see I'm not the only person that likes this tool. I see SO much love for the Micra, and hear almost nothing about the Crosscut.

I've said before that the tweezers are, in my opinion, the best in the MT industry. Mine are as precise and sturdy as purpose-made eyebrow tweezers. They are also a good deal more sturdy than the Micra's and miles better than the Victorinox IMO. Between those, and the scissors (also best in industry, IMO), it makes what I thought should be a much more popular tool. Another thing I loved about the Crosscut was that the tiny flathead actually fit eyeglasses, which is a feature I have needed on occasion (being someone who wears glasses constantly).

I actually thought if I filed the end of the file (with a cuticle tool) into a flat phillips, it would be just about a perfect tool. But I have other MTs already that will do the job better.

Reply #9 on: April 17, 2012, 01:43:46 AM
Yep, I hear where you are coming from. I frequently use the scissors on my MT's to cut thin wire and HAVE to use both hands to open either the Micra, Wave scissors or Mini Champ or the Style CS. I bought the Style CS because I liked the fact that I could quickly unhook it from my key ring hanging out of my pocket. But, that is where the ease of use begins and ends. The scissors require both hands to open and the knife on that thing is a pita to get out. Plus, now the silly things have decided to start sticking when scissoring.

So, if the Crosscut is even slightly better (with it hooked on a 'biner of course) then I will be ecstatic.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #10 on: April 18, 2012, 09:16:21 PM
Let us know how they work for you.

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #11 on: April 18, 2012, 09:51:21 PM
If quick scissor access is that important to you, might want to consider a Buck xtract fin.

Offline patrat

Reply #12 on: April 18, 2012, 10:25:45 PM
I regularly OHO my micra scissors. I use the lanyard ring, attached to my keyring leash, which is clipped through a belt loop. Pull on the micra handle, and the keyring leash will pull the other handle open. Much easier to do than to explain.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #13 on: April 19, 2012, 12:02:21 AM
I'd never bothered trying OHO on my Crosscut. It opened very smoothly. Not that I can ever think of a need for such, but good to know, I guess...

Reply #14 on: April 19, 2012, 02:21:01 AM
Yep, it just so happens I had a Buck X-tract Fin and it didn't cut the wire so good. I used to have a Surge and liked the scissors on it but it was a little on the heavy side for EDC.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #15 on: April 24, 2012, 02:22:48 PM
Any feedback on your Crosscut yet? Is it working for you?

I tried the OHO on my friend's new Crosscut and had little difficulty doing it. It would have been pretty easy if there was a lanyard on it, I think.

Reply #16 on: May 03, 2012, 04:08:48 AM
Yes, I like it. I attached it to my truck keys. I may mod it for the OHO later but for now I like it just the way it is.

Sent from my Iconia A500 using Tapatalk 2

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #17 on: May 05, 2012, 09:58:24 PM
I'd like to thank you Lynn for reminding me of this multitool!  It looks very useful and I just ordered one and look forward to adding it to my keychain  :D
SAW

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #18 on: May 05, 2012, 10:11:49 PM
Wohooo!!!!! Another convert!!

I think if I get one more, they give me a toaster! :D

I'm particularly interested if you also own a Micra, and get a chance to compare the two head-to-head.

I think it might be getting near to the time when I need to retire my old one and get a new one myself.

us Offline sawman

Reply #19 on: May 05, 2012, 10:17:26 PM
I own Micras and can tell you they're very nice.  I somehow expect the scissors to be better on the CrossCut however.  I owned a CrossGrip before and liked its spring mechanism a lot.
SAW

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #20 on: May 06, 2012, 05:06:44 PM
I misplaced the Crosscut a few years ago, and replaced it with a Micra. I thought most every function was either identical or better on the Crosscut. When I found the Crosscut again, I gave the Micra away, I was so frustrated with it. But I don't think that was fair, because the Micra IS a good tool. I got one recently in a trade, and gave it to my husband. The only advantage the Micra has is a phillips driver, and I don't consider that a huge loss with the Crosscut.

I think you'll like the scissors better. I think they're the best MT scissor out there right now (or at least the best I've encountered), particularly for heavy tasks, and the day-to-day task of cutting paper.

I'm looking forward when you have both in hand to a good comparison. I tend to think the Crosscut gets ignored, and I'm not sure why. Among folks that only go to chain stores, where they may only carry Micras, I get that. But on boards dedicated to MTs, I sort of figured folks would have overall figured out the Crosscut is better than the Micra (Either that, or I have a big bias blindness).

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #21 on: May 17, 2012, 03:25:51 PM
After Sawman's experience with the new Crosscut...
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,37438.0.html

I was a bit nervous that my old pair have had three fails to cut in the last couple months (due to a gap between the blades which has developed). But I've decided to go ahead and give the new Crosscut 2.0 a shot. I've had mine for 15 years, and any degradation in performance is likely from my using them hard, not a knock on the tool. I'm not going to send the old one in on warranty.  SOG is getting my $13.

I always thought people having 'sentimental value' with tools was silly, but now I'm all  :cry: thinking about retiring 'old faithful'. Weird.

us Offline sawman

Reply #22 on: May 18, 2012, 02:03:37 AM
Please let me know how the tweezers work on your new one  :pok: :pok:
SAW

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #23 on: May 18, 2012, 02:34:13 AM
Will do. Your experience makes me feel like I'm shooting craps. Up until that, I'd only ever heard good things about the QC on the Crosscut.

In the event they do suck, I can take apart my old one and harvest the tweezers from it, which are still in perfect working condition.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #24 on: May 20, 2012, 08:10:03 PM
Hmmm.... Well.... a bit of a disappointment with the Crosscut 2.0

Let's start with the good. The scissors are as good as ever. And as that's the main thing I carry the tool for, the rest are minor issues. Tool retention is much better on the current version. Included in the retention improvement department is the scissor closure retention, meaning the tool stays closed. Something safer for pocket carry, although not an issue I deal with.

However...

1) The tweezers only met up at one corner. This took about 3 minutes with a pair of pliers to correct, to ensure the heads met up along the entire length of the tweezer, by torquing one of the arms so that both ran in perfect parallel.
2) The eyeglass screwdriver was too big. It took some sandpaper work to make it fit correctly.
3) The blade is dull out-of-package. Not even sharp enough to cut paper, and I've never sharpened a chisel-grind blade, so.... Wheee!

These are all fit-and-finish issues that I can correct, but it means the 2.0 is not the same quality tool as my original. I have never needed to sharpen the blade on my original, and after 15 years of box-opening, it's still sharper than the new one.

So... bummer. Still a good tool, and I can bring it back to being a great tool with a little effort, but a let-down from my expectations, nontheless.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 08:11:39 PM by Lynn LeFey »

us Offline sawman

Reply #25 on: May 20, 2012, 09:24:19 PM
This is why I usually buy Victorinox...
SAW

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #26 on: May 20, 2012, 11:22:45 PM
Yeah, but nothing matches the scissors. About 90% of what I have the tool for is the scissors, and they're still excellent. I did a few passes of the blade on a sharpener, and it'll cut paper now, so I'm glad for that. The tweezers are fixed and the eyeglass screwdriver is fixed. Mostly, it's just annoying.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #27 on: May 20, 2012, 11:36:06 PM
Hey Lynn, would you say it's NOW up to the standard of the original, or does it still feel inferior in any way?

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #28 on: May 21, 2012, 12:01:10 AM
The tweezers are not as good as the original. The edges meet up (now), but on the original, the edges are insanely precise. With tweezers, that's important. I had a pair of eyebrow tweezers that cost maybe $10 years ago that were the only thing that matched my old Crosscut. The current pair are on par (now) with my husband's Micra or Victorinox tweezers; functional, not perfect.

Otherwise... for as often as I use each of the tools, I think it's functionally the same.

As I said, there are also some design improvements, primarily in tool retention. Since it's a super light-duty tool, that's not all that important, but nice nonetheless.

Another change that MAY be an improvement is that the body has higher polish. Now, my original has no rust on it after 15 years, so it might not matter to me, but I have kept this thing in a plastic sheath in my purse, so someone who exposes theirs to more moisture may find better rust resistance with the higher polish. I'm not sure.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #29 on: May 21, 2012, 12:51:51 AM
Cheers Lynn  :cheers:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $56.34
PayPal Fees: $2.74