Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What's that for?

us Offline radiotecha1234

What's that for?
on: April 26, 2012, 11:51:01 PM
I was just looking at a Swiss Army Tinker I have and noticed a slot in the Philips head. What is it for?
uploadfromtaptalk1335477014296.jpg
* uploadfromtaptalk1335477014296.jpg (Filesize: 104.66 KB)

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Re: What's that for?
Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 11:57:02 PM
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 02:36:05 AM
http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Screwdriver-Phillips

That is exactly what they were for. Apparently, Swiss military c-rats had those little keyed cans into the late 80s. I think some of the former Soviet Republics might still use them as well.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 03:10:57 AM
http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Screwdriver-Phillips

That is exactly what they were for. Apparently, Swiss military c-rats had those little keyed cans into the late 80s. I think some of the former Soviet Republics might still use them as well.

I kind of wondered why that kind of can key would be worth making on a SAK.  In my life, I've encountered exactly 0.

If the Swiss rations had it, then it makes more sense.  Although, it was only on the "officers'" knives, not the soldier, so maybe it doesn't make sense...  :think:
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

sg Offline demonoflust

Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 06:43:43 AM
Not sure but when I was younger, I saw mom opening luncheon meat can with the key thing. I guess the key way of opening luncheon meat preserve the meat in one piece and can pour it out easily. Perhaps if the key with the can is lost this will be a good thing to have.

I have never seen modern luncheon meat can for a long time haha, I will drop by supermarket to see if they are still using these key thing.

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 09:04:18 AM
About the only keyed-open cans you'll see in the US nowadays are cans of corned beef imported from Argentina. When I was growing up they were far more common. I recall seeing ham, stew, sardines, coffee and nuts in keyed-open cans, and there were probably many other items. The cans came with a metal key with a slot in it, typically soldered to the top or base of the can. In use the key was pried off; a metal tab was pried up and inserted in the slot; and the key rotated around the can along a pre-grooved band. The Victorinox slotted phillips would have been for emergency use when the key had been lost. It's open end would have allowed easy removal from the strip of metal without having to unwind the strip. Eventually the key was replaced by a pull tab.

Karl

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Keyopenerpatent.JPG

Here's about the only shot I could come up with of the key in use, on a can of dummy ammunition.

http://store.colemans.com/cart/images/2069.gif

And another;

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b5/HK_Canned_food_Greatwall_brand_chopped_pork_and_ham_can_opener_key_Jan-2012.jpg
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 09:32:05 AM by ColoSwiss »

Offline silentio

What's that for?
Reply #6 on: April 27, 2012, 01:51:46 PM
I can confirm that there are still tins that require the key. Luncheon meat (or Spam in the western world) cans and corned beef both. Two brands I know of off the top of my head are Maling (china) and Tulip (Netherlands I think).

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #7 on: April 27, 2012, 03:11:40 PM
I remember them from when I was a kid, canned ham and other meats.   The key was always stuck to the top of the can, and it look neat so I always wanted to play with it and be the one to open the can.  Unfortunately I then had to eat what I opened which wasn't always exactly tasty.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline Spork, Lord of Lime Jello!

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #8 on: April 27, 2012, 04:40:01 PM
...When I was growing up they were far more common. I recall seeing ham, stew, sardines, coffee and nuts in keyed-open cans, and there were probably many other items...

I recall Corned beef hash and possibly a cake or bread of some sort too.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $36.34
PayPal Fees: $1.66
Net Balance: $34.68
Below Goal: $265.32
Site Currency: USD
 12%