Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Wenger S557 vs. Victorinox Workchamp: Which do you think is "better" and why?

Poll

Which is better for you?

Wenger S557
6 (54.5%)
Victorinox Workchamp
5 (45.5%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: May 05, 2012, 03:40:08 PM

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
I'm thinking of picking up one of these. When I say "better", I mean for general, all-around use in your daily life, not for any specific purpose.

The Workchamp has a dedicated, inline, narrow #1 Phillips, but the S557's nail file tip might do the job in a lot of cases.

The Workchamp has the longer blade, but I think I'd be fine with the shorter one of the S557.

The Workchamp has a file. Pure gold. The saw, I could do without, since I have it on other knives.

The S557 has a slip joint pliers. Do you find this more useful than the Vic pliers?

The S557 has the wrench. This seems quite useful.

The S557 has the locking Phillips, but the latest Vic design is not prone to accidental closing either.

Workchamp has the eyeglass screwdriver at no extra charge.

S557 has the springless pliers and scissors, which I think is a better design than the leaf spring-equipped Victorinoxes.

The S557 is both shorter and thinner. From the videos, it seems like it might be pants pocket carry-able in a pinch.

Which one would you get if you could only have one, and why?

OK, let me be more realistic now: which one would you get first and why?  >:D
-Jeremy
"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Oops, I voted wrong.  I meant the s557.  Basically the same reasons I gave in your s557 vs ranger thread.
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
My preference should be obvious!   :whistle:

I'd get the Work Champ.  Fewer, but larger tools, and more useful tools.  Allow you to handle bigger jobs.  The file on the Work Champ is the best I've ever seen on any kind of SAK or MT (of course, I don't own a Charge or Surge, so they might have a better one).

If I was lost in the woods and could only have one tool, I'd definitely choose a Work Champ!
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

us Offline sergemaster

• No Life Club
Amici,
Wenger all the way. I have in front of me my S557 in evowood scales along with a Fisher space pen, Fenix E01 torch, and a Exotac mini fire steel all on McGizmo clips on a SS ring with a pocket clip courtesy of EDCSource..

Cheers,
Serge
'I will NOT be threatened by a walking Meatloaf!!' - D. Kessler

Offline ToneGrail

• New User
I voted for the Wenger. The Vic is way too bulky.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $36.34
PayPal Fees: $1.66
Net Balance: $34.68
Below Goal: $265.32
Site Currency: USD
 12%