Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Clips VS Molle/Hook & Loop Attachments

Offline pockits

on: May 08, 2012, 08:47:04 PM
Hi Everybody,
I'm working on some new sheath designs and would like everyone's feedback. Do you like cases with the clip attachment or molle/hook and loop attachments??  :ahhh
Pockits

us Offline Inzelique

• If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer
Re: Clips VS Molle/Hook & Loop Attachments
Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 02:54:06 AM
I always prefer the clips

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 03:12:27 AM
Tell us more about this molle/h&l combo.

I like molle because I can use it as a regular belt loop OR attach it to my molle gear OR my alice gear.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 08:37:50 AM
I like both, but for belt carry the clip can't be beat.  I use Molle sheaths on my EDC bag but that's it.  Maybe offer an option for both? 

it Offline sardauker

• Just arrived
Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 09:13:41 AM
Clip.
Hook & loop wears out faster.
I have one of these

hanging from my belt first and now from my bag for, what?, five years maybe, and the clip is still fine. Velcro isn't at his best, though.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 09:16:48 AM by sardauker »

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #5 on: May 09, 2012, 09:20:24 AM
I have a couple niteize sheaths with the clips and they are the last thing to ever wear out.  The velcro and nylon will bite the bullet long before the clip will.

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: May 09, 2012, 05:39:31 PM
An outfit named Blade tech makes Tech Loks , clips , IWB paddles , and Molle clips , very nice high end stuff for Mil. and LE . Another outfit ; Tactical Tailor makes a creature called a Malice clip , all worth a look .

Chris

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #7 on: May 11, 2012, 01:57:48 AM
Clip.
I have one of these
(Image removed from quote.)
hanging from my belt first and now from my bag for, what?, five years maybe, and the clip is still fine. Velcro isn't at his best, though.

Good to see you are still kicking buddy!  I wondered how you were doing!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline tattoosteve99

Reply #8 on: May 12, 2012, 02:59:27 AM
For the belt loop a molle attachment is best for me. When opening the sheath I prefer Velcro for its simple use and easy to shut without having to worry about fiddling with a snap or buckle. But that's just my opinion.
If I remember correctly, wait, what was I saying?

us Offline Frankctz

Reply #9 on: May 12, 2012, 07:13:49 AM
Clip.
I have one of these
(Image removed from quote.)

I was thinkin in somethinh similar to carry all my things, but still no sure and still thinking about it...

it Offline sardauker

• Just arrived
Reply #10 on: May 12, 2012, 11:09:59 AM

Def

Thank you. I was just lurking. Nothing useful or interesting to say, my setup is pretty much the same, no changes and so on, I was reading & learning. ;)

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #11 on: May 12, 2012, 09:13:51 PM

Def

Thank you. I was just lurking. Nothing useful or interesting to say, my setup is pretty much the same, no changes and so on, I was reading & learning. ;)

Yoos-fool?  What does this mean?   :D

it Offline sardauker

• Just arrived
Reply #12 on: May 13, 2012, 01:31:20 AM

Def

no you's fool, me's fool. ;)
Sometimes I say something, and someone replies "you is fool". I shut up, then, 'cause I don't want to make a fool of me more than what I am.

(ok, now I'm trying word jokes in a language that isn't mine. forgive me if I speak like Man Friday, everytime, remember the flag near my name and be understanding.)

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #13 on: May 13, 2012, 01:54:20 AM

Def

no you's fool, me's fool. ;)
Sometimes I say something, and someone replies "you is fool". I shut up, then, 'cause I don't want to make a fool of me more than what I am.

(ok, now I'm trying word jokes in a language that isn't mine. forgive me if I speak like Man Friday, everytime, remember the flag near my name and be understanding.)

:rofl:

You sound fine to me! 

Offline pockits

Reply #14 on: May 30, 2012, 09:37:19 PM
Thanks everyone for the feedback on "Clips VS Molle/Hook & Loop Attachments" The hook & loop didn't do so good, just as I suspected. I'll keep you posted on new product's, Thanks again!
Pockitsman! :salute:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #15 on: May 30, 2012, 09:46:17 PM
Gotta say that I've never been a fan of clips on belt sheaths, I much prefer a lower profile than they give. 
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

ca Offline Metropolicity

• No Life Club
  • Hack Virtuoso
Reply #16 on: May 30, 2012, 11:19:52 PM
Gotta say that I've never been a fan of clips on belt sheaths, I much prefer a lower profile than they give.

It really depends on what kind of clip it is. Any injection moulded one is of course going to be bigger to maintain it's integrity (esp those rotating ones), but most metal clips I use are pretty low profile.
Why stop now?

Visit the whole Skinth family here: http://www.skinthsolutions.com

Keep up with The Skinths on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/SkinthSolutions

Shapeways - Metro's Q-branch:
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/metro-qbranch

PayPal: metrogradegoods [at} gmail. com

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #17 on: May 31, 2012, 08:07:15 AM

It really depends on what kind of clip it is. Any injection moulded one is of course going to be bigger to maintain it's integrity (esp those rotating ones), but most metal clips I use are pretty low profile.
that's a fair point, I was indeed thinking of the injection moulded type.  So; clip or strap, just so long as it holds the pouch tight to my side. :)

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #18 on: May 31, 2012, 07:44:07 PM

that's a fair point, I was indeed thinking of the injection moulded type.  So; clip or strap, just so long as it holds the pouch tight to my side. :)

Yep, if it hangs off loosely it tends to pull more and get caught on everything.  Quite annoying!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #19 on: May 31, 2012, 07:49:56 PM

Yep, if it hangs off loosely it tends to pull more and get caught on everything.  Quite annoying!
That's certainly part of it, also I prefer a pouch that sits neatly under a jacket or top.  Too bulky a clip and I find it very distracting as I'm constantly aware of it. 

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #20 on: May 31, 2012, 07:54:20 PM

That's certainly part of it, also I prefer a pouch that sits neatly under a jacket or top.  Too bulky a clip and I find it very distracting as I'm constantly aware of it.

I'm having that problem with my TTi right now.  The sheath that comes with it and holds the bits is just a bit thick for me.  I stretched one of the newer Wave sheaths(that hold just the tool, no bits) out to fit the TTi and it works great.  Very slim profile and it's held tight to my belt.  Problem is now I have to carry the bits in a separate sheath because I love having them.  Quite a quandary.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #21 on: May 31, 2012, 08:10:37 PM
Another bit of feedback I'd like to offer, if I may.  I personally like the idea of having a MT and 2xAA torch (flashlight) in the same pouch, but all to often that style of pouch is designed around accommodating the good old Mini-Maglite.  Now I don't actually dislike the Maglite but it is now getting to be very 'old hat' compared to most LED lights, and one thing that is pretty much guaranteed is that a modern 'tactical' LED light is much thicker in the body compared to the Maglite.  The problem is then, of course, that the modern LED light simply won't fit in a slot designed for a Mini-Maglite. :-\

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: June 11, 2012, 09:18:10 AM
I prefer molle mounting straps.  I like to be able to use a pocket/pouch in either horizontal or vertical ortientations, and I often change pockets/pouches from bag to belt and must have versatility to be able to do so. 
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

us Offline Gryffin

• Multi-Talented
Reply #23 on: June 11, 2012, 03:44:47 PM
A clip is convenient, but other than closed, locking clips like the Tec-Loc, I've never a clip to be secure enough. Maybe it's because I'm a clumsy oaf, but I tend to knock things off my belt unless they;'re on there REAL good.

For closures, I hate hate HATE velcro. The tearing sound on opening makes my teeth hurt. I prefer a nice, secure snap or two, or even better a SRB on a short strap, to allow for adjustment.

it Offline sardauker

• Just arrived
Reply #24 on: June 12, 2012, 11:48:43 AM
the clip used for the above mentioned pock-its is the best clip I've ever met, after the metal Alice clip used by some armies, like Italian one, until the last decade.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $36.34
PayPal Fees: $1.66
Net Balance: $34.68
Below Goal: $265.32
Site Currency: USD
 12%